• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just bought Yamaha Jet Boat

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm no expert but as I was looking at these Mooring cover for my new boat I saw that it indicates not to be used for travel/shipping.

I would see if you could stop by Yamaha dealer to see if they have a shipping cover from one of their boats you could have. They might want some $ for it but it could be a quick way to get one.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I highly suggest towing with the cover on. This prevents seat cushions, and the like, from blowing out. Also, the anti-pooling poles should not be installed when towing. The cover is designed to be on while being towed. The biggest culprit in covers being shredded is exposure to sun. I had 4 years with my mooring cover. The mooring cover was exposed to the sun during all of the summer for those 4 years. I always tow with the mooring cover on, and with the anti-pooling poles removed.

The center window should be closed.

Also, another tip - go buy a large noodle to help protect the cover from the windshield. Take a razor knife and split in down the middle. Then, use that noodle to cover the top of the windshield. This help protect the mooring cover from rubbing on the windshield.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^Excellent info! Thank you, love these tips. No pooling poles, and noodles over sharp edges. I've also removed the bimini.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you supposed to transport these boats with tower up? What about the wakeboard rack? Another concern I have is the anchor and other accessory parts like table bouncing around and scratching/damaging stuff. I'm asking the seller to wrap them in large bubble wrap before putting it in appropriate storage bays in the boat. Is that enough or not necessary?

@njmr2fan How are you planning to transport the bimini top? I would be concerned with this thing sliding around in the boat.

I notice my seller had something that looks like it may be 2nd bimini top in his auction picture. See left side of the picture below. I believe the one that comes with boat is still attached to the tower so anyone know what this might be?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/fcMAAOSwk0pVgLuO/$_57.JPG

I believe this is the bimini top from factory.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/8fwAAOSwpDdVgLuz/$_57.JPG

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the caution and words of wisdom. I talked to the owner for few minutes on the phone and he seems to be very nice and trust worthy person and offered to help with shipping any way he can. He apparently has two boats, one for Sea and this for fresh water. Reason he said he was selling is because they enjoy going out fishing to the sea more and have not used the fresh water boat. I'd like to think I'm usually cautious person and I do feel good with the seller's honesty and integrity. He told me to make me feel more safe and comfortable with the transaction he would accept paypal for the whole amount even though it means he would be getting less on the sale. He said his trailer hasn't been used much because storage is only 5 miles from the lake he goes to and based on the picture it looks to be true.

Below is the link to the ebay auction if anyone wants to see more pictures and point out any thing that may not make sense with the story.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251998253062?forcerRptr=true&item=251998253062&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

On another note my first uShip bid came in at $3000 for "Tow-Away service"! Wow! I'm thinking for that I may just drive out there my self and stop by Yellowstone on the way with the kids! I'm hoping shipping fee goes much lower...

@txav8r - How do you do a title search? What information do I need from the seller and where do I do the search?

Thank you all.
Question # 1; the boat only has 19 hours on it??
Why do three oil changes??
The requirement for the first oil change is at the 10 hour mark?
Does everyone with a Jet Boat change the oil this frequently? I know I do not.....

I have seen this or a similar ad before (When I checked on it; it was for sale by a female - who just so happen to be stationed in Iraq and no one was available for me to look at the boat - not saying this is the same one but the ad description is worded the same - this was about 3 months ago) and I believe it to be a scam? Be extra careful ?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you supposed to transport these boats with tower up? What about the wakeboard rack? Another concern I have is the anchor and other accessory parts like table bouncing around and scratching/damaging stuff. I'm asking the seller to wrap them in large bubble wrap before putting it in appropriate storage bays in the boat. Is that enough or not necessary?

@njmr2fan How are you planning to transport the bimini top? I would be concerned with this thing sliding around in the boat.

I notice my seller had something that looks like it may be 2nd bimini top in his auction picture. See left side of the picture below. I believe the one that comes with boat is still attached to the tower so anyone know what this might be?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/fcMAAOSwk0pVgLuO/$_57.JPG

I believe this is the bimini top from factory.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/8fwAAOSwpDdVgLuz/$_57.JPG
I'm wrapping the bimini top and frame inside bungeed up so it doesn't float around. Under the cover on the highway I don't expect a crazy ride.

Last edited:

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Question # 1; the boat only has 19 hours on it??
Why do three oil changes??
The requirement for the first oil change is at the 10 hour mark?
Does everyone with a Jet Boat change the oil this frequently? I know I do not.....

I have seen this or a similar ad before (When I checked on it; it was for sale by a female - who just so happen to be stationed in Iraq and no one was available for me to look at the boat - not saying this is the same one but the ad description is worded the same - this was about 3 months ago) and I believe it to be a scam? Be extra careful ?
@Retired37 Thank for the caution but I think I can trust this seller. He told me he mailed titles for boat and trailer and 4 keys today via certified mail. I have shipper lined up but it sounds like he is off on another delivery and said would pick it up this week.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Quick update on my insurance quote. Two companies I was considering was BoatUS and Geico and I think I'm going to go with Geico.

BoatUS will only do $35,000 Agreed Hull Value based on the price I paid (they are the only ones that asked for this info) and their valuation of what 2013 Yamaha 212x is worth, which she said was $33,000. I tried to tell her my price I paid is exception and all of other 2013 212x I've seen were between $40,000 - $45,000. Even so they said they wouldn't change the Agreed Hull Value.

Geico, on the other hand automatically calculated Agreed Hull Value at $44,600. After increasing liability to 300k/300k/300k and raising deductible to $1000 (I don't see filing claim for anything less than 2-3 k), dropping "Emergency towing" my quote came to $399/yr. Trying to add "Personal Effects Coverage" (above $100) or "Partial Loss Depreciation Waiver" seems to add quite a bit to your premium so I decided to not to.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick update on my insurance quote. Two companies I was considering was BoatUS and Geico and I think I'm going to go with Geico.

BoatUS will only do $35,000 Agreed Hull Value based on the price I paid (they are the only ones that asked for this info) and their valuation of what 2013 Yamaha 212x is worth, which she said was $33,000. I tried to tell her my price I paid is exception and all of other 2013 212x I've seen were between $40,000 - $45,000. Even so they said they wouldn't change the Agreed Hull Value.

Geico, on the other hand automatically calculated Agreed Hull Value at $44,600. After increasing liability to 300k/300k/300k and raising deductible to $1000 (I don't see filing claim for anything less than 2-3 k), dropping "Emergency towing" my quote came to $399/yr. Trying to add "Personal Effects Coverage" (above $100) or "Partial Loss Depreciation Waiver" seems to add quite a bit to your premium so I decided to not to.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
Sounds great. Good luck and WELCOME :Welcome:to JET BOATING.:winkingthumbsup"

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm wrapping the bimini top and frame inside bungeed up so it doesn't float around. U Der the cover on the highway I don't expect a crazy ride.
Do you think leaving it on the tower with the zip cover that comes from factory would be an issue? I think I would prefer this vs having it in the boat unattached. Dang it I wish I could just have Scotty beam it here! LOL...

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@dansshin , a "blow out" is when the clean out plug comes out unexpectedly. There is great debate as to whether they might come out because they were improperly set or because of a minor defect in the plug (general consensus on this board is likely to be the latter). The jet path is under pressure, so if a blow out occurs, the plug shoots up, usually damaging the hatch to the wet locker. The damage and the impact also usually opens the locker, which (because of the safety switches), shuts down the engines. Even if the plug can be found, it won't lock any more. Even if you had a spare, you would need to fashion something to keep the wet locker closed to be able to go. Basically, your day is toast.

EZ-Locks (and some other solutions out there) help prevent this by providing a secondary lock on the plugs. So, even if the first lock fails or is not properly set, the secondary lock will prevent the plug from blowing. Very easy to install, generally. Very cheap insurance in my book.

Yearly maintenance... for boat and trailer... well, I will take a crack at that. Of course, you should check all this against the manual:
1) Annually at least, oil, oil filter, and plug change. Lube the intermediate joint behind the engines and the cables. Tighten all screws (hatches, bimini, etc.).
2) Every outing, check for gas smells/leaks and water in the bilge. Periodically test the bilge pump if you haven't seen it come on.
3) At least quarterly, clean bilge pump. Check battery water level.
4) Every fill up, add Marine Stabil (or equivalent).
5) Annually at least check pad wear on trailer and level of the brake fluid. Check tires for wear. Lube axels. WD-40 on just about every nut and bolt exposed (some would say this last one every outing, some would say quarterly...)
6) Every outing, check lights on trailer. Check brakes by unplugging lights from vehicle and trying to back up (brakes should lock). Examine for broken or rusting bolts and for holes in bottom of members.

I think that is it. I am certain my colleagues will correct where I have missed...
Been looking at some YouTube videos on these. One concern I have with EZ-Locks is that you have to drill the part to install it. Would this cause any damage to the plug or cause other potential issues down the road? I was looking at Tru-Lock 2 from Jet Boat Pilot and that seems like it does the job without having to drill but it is much more expensive. Decisions decision.

I like the Cobra Venom Ultimate fins and Tru-Lock 2 but it looks like they are competing companies. I probably couldn't get a package deal like Venom Ultimate and Ez-Locks....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the ez locks, they are simple and just work, no one has ever posted about having any issues caused by the drilling, for the package price it was an easy decision,

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't know which post but I read on here that someone said Yamaha rejected his warranty claim because he's plugs were drilled. Perhaps I'm putting too much thought in something that doesn't need to be...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was nervous about drilling the plugs, too. In fact, I got one of my holes wrong (a little crooked) and had to redrill it. It all worked out fine. Really a simple install.

As to the warranty, that is also a risk. If you drill them and then have a blow out and want to make a claim for it, I would think that it could be an issue. I evaluated that and decided that not having a blowout in the first place was the better route with fewer risks.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you think leaving it on the tower with the zip cover that comes from factory would be an issue? I think I would prefer this vs having it in the boat unattached. Dang it I wish I could just have Scotty beam it here! LOL...
Leave it up. Seems fine. I was just looking for less drag, and since it popped off with 1 pin I took it off.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check out Markel insurance.... I got much higher limits for a lot less.

Also @njmr2fan ... When I had my Yamaha cover, I needed the bimini on the boat to keep the cover somewhat taut. Is that not the case with yours?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out Markel insurance.... I got much higher limits for a lot less.

Also @njmr2fan ... When I had my Yamaha cover, I needed the bimini on the boat to keep the cover somewhat taut. Is that not the case with yours?
I have the ar190 so the bimini is attached to the tower. now the tower can cut through the air without the folded enclosed bimini.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also tow with the Bimini on. Also before you tow long distance I would put a towel or something over the front hull light and the little bumper on the window.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
little bumper on the window? Not sure what that is. Isn't front hull light covered by the Yamaha shipping cover?

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are towing with the mooring cover when the wind pulls the cover tight it stresses the cover over the light. Putting a towel over it just lessens the stress. On my boat there is a little bumper where the windshield meets when it is open.