• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just bought Yamaha Jet Boat

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No problem at all. In my opinion an agreed hull value policy is apples and oranges from an actual cash value policy.
I would agree and I guess difference is with agreed hull value policy your premium may not drop year over year where as actual cash value would given the decreasing payout amount.

Thank you again.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have BoatUS with agreed hull value yacht policy. I also added the water sports package which covers all the towables, wakeboards, ropes etc.. Also the electronics package which would cover my fish finder plus other electronics including cell phones. You have 5 people on board with phones that can be a couple grand. You should be able to go their website for a quote.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, just got the renewal in for the Midland policy... Now I will be a BoatUS insured boater! Saved me $100/yr...

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Still haven't received BoatUS quote yet. Typically how long does quote take from them?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the website? About 10 seconds...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or call and they do it right there. In the past I got a better price when I called compared to the website.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did request it through their website but it said they need underwriting to review and said would email me.

Since shipper I accepted the bid on uShip from decided to go on another delivery (he should have told me this before I accepted) I will wait until early next week and call them if I don't hear back.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Joining the conversation here A little late but Have PM'd You a already. I Bought a Members Boat Here A Few Weeks Ago While I Was On vacation By A Pool. I Just Saw The Boat For the First Time Yesterday. Absolutely beautiful. All paperwork Worked out. I had Full Insurance On boat From Geico Before the boat left the buyer. Member Assuredme There We're Zero Issues, And Until I water test, I'll Have To Take His Word.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@njmr2fan,

Congratz on your new boat. I'm so excited about my new boat and getting very anxious to get it. I'm trying to get it here by 7/2 so I can have my first outing with it on 4th of July weekend. In the mean time I'm trying to acquire needed water sport gears and get my trailer hitch and ATF cooler installed on my MDX. I'll decide on my insurance next week before uShip guy picks it up. Seller said he'll mail the titles and keys on Monday.

One question regarding insurance, while filling out quote requests, there was question on value of trailer. What should I put there?

One add-on I'm considering before I take the boat out is *NEW* Cobra Venom ULTIMATE for Yamaha Twin-Engine PLUS Cobra EZ-Locks. I'm thinking for inexperienced jet boater like me this could be very helpful when getting it back on the trailer. What do you guys think?

On another note yesterday while I was looking at some Yamaha jet boat videos on YouTube I actually saw the boat that I bought. I had no idea seller had these videos on YouTube since he never mentioned it but I recognize the seller's name and photo from his email and paypal reciept. Boat and trailer seems like it's in very good condition based on the most recent video below which was ~4 months ago. Is that optional galvanized tandem trailer from Yamaha? Hopefully it will be able to make the 2000 mile delivery without any issues. Both boat and trailer really looks to be in like new condition!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased a pair of aluminum wheels and radial trailer tires for it's 800 mile delivery trip to GA. it increased load range from C to D. And more importantly to me, I'll have 2 perfectly good bias ply spare tires for the trip.

great looking boat, that 212!!!! Best of luck to you! We're both jet boaters now! Woohoo

I bought the TV Xls from a member, and the tower light from another for my first mods.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw a posting for Venom Ultimate on classifieds but looks like it was sold.

What do tower lights do? Is that so you can ride at night?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just wondering how much wear and tear should I expect on trailer and tires from 2000 mile delivery?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tower light is a permanent install for the night time white light.

I changed the wheels and tires just for peace of mind. The trailer already did a 1200 mile trip to the FL keys and back and I wanted a radial tire for my 800 mile 13 hr 70mph drive.

Seems like the TV XLs seem more popular than the cobras and I got more feedback on them, so I went for them.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few things...

1) EZ-Locks or equivalent FIRST. Period. All in, all done. Blow out damage can be too catastrophic to even mess with it.
2) On the fins, I ran 2 years without, 1.5 years with. They make a difference, but not as much as you might think. I would call that optional and see how you do with just the jets. You will find a wide range of opinions on here as to that and as to which fins are best. The fact that the opinions are spread should tell you something right there.
3) Tower lights. They are for docking only (if they are facing forward). If they are just the little LED's pointing downward, they are for more light in the cabin while you are at anchor or docked. You will not want to have them on while running (or for a few minutes before) or they will destroy your night vision.
4) Tires. The OEM tires on the trailers (which are made by MFI, I think, for the galvanized) are generally accepted as crap. Plan on changing them soon if they are stock. If they already have been changed, you are good.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@tdonoughue
Thank you for the input. I wasn't even aware what EZ-Locks were until I was looking at the Venom Ultimate. Does "blow out" happen even when your boat is working normally or is that side effect of some issue that you guard against? Also what should be your yearly maintenance routine on 212x and the trailer?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dansshin , a "blow out" is when the clean out plug comes out unexpectedly. There is great debate as to whether they might come out because they were improperly set or because of a minor defect in the plug (general consensus on this board is likely to be the latter). The jet path is under pressure, so if a blow out occurs, the plug shoots up, usually damaging the hatch to the wet locker. The damage and the impact also usually opens the locker, which (because of the safety switches), shuts down the engines. Even if the plug can be found, it won't lock any more. Even if you had a spare, you would need to fashion something to keep the wet locker closed to be able to go. Basically, your day is toast.

EZ-Locks (and some other solutions out there) help prevent this by providing a secondary lock on the plugs. So, even if the first lock fails or is not properly set, the secondary lock will prevent the plug from blowing. Very easy to install, generally. Very cheap insurance in my book.

Yearly maintenance... for boat and trailer... well, I will take a crack at that. Of course, you should check all this against the manual:
1) Annually at least, oil, oil filter, and plug change. Lube the intermediate joint behind the engines and the cables. Tighten all screws (hatches, bimini, etc.).
2) Every outing, check for gas smells/leaks and water in the bilge. Periodically test the bilge pump if you haven't seen it come on.
3) At least quarterly, clean bilge pump. Check battery water level.
4) Every fill up, add Marine Stabil (or equivalent).
5) Annually at least check pad wear on trailer and level of the brake fluid. Check tires for wear. Lube axels. WD-40 on just about every nut and bolt exposed (some would say this last one every outing, some would say quarterly...)
6) Every outing, check lights on trailer. Check brakes by unplugging lights from vehicle and trying to back up (brakes should lock). Examine for broken or rusting bolts and for holes in bottom of members.

I think that is it. I am certain my colleagues will correct where I have missed...

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
EZ locks are the best and cheapest insurance you will ever find for blowouts,, because you won't have one. I think anyone who has had a blowout will tell you they were not planning on one but when you do have one you will have damage to your boat, so just eliminate the threat. They are such an easy install and cheap purchase price I don't know how or why anyone would want to be without them. The cobras or trust vectors are a different story, some will swear by them and others will tell you not to waste you money. I do have TV, and do like them, but I have had them on since new and have never been without them so I can't honestly say how much of a difference they make. My theory is though, that having rudders in the water sure can't hurt.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just remember to set them BEFORE you put the plugs in to save you the frustration of feeling around for the hole ;)
Very true. Actually, I set them immediately after taking them out of the hole. Then they are all ready to go for next time. I have found that people (e.g. me) are much more anxious to get out on the water quickly and much less anxious to leave the boat afterward. So I do the setting when I have time so that when I get there to depart, I just pop them in and go.

Someday I will get smart and put a little countersink on the holes that the clips go into so that it is easier to get the clips in...

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So since I'm in the same situation here I thought this would be relevant and helpful.

I'm going to trailer my new boat 13 hrs and 800 miles this week. I plan on emptying the tank to lighten the load.

I have the gray mooring cover with ratchets and antipooling poles. Should I do the tow with the cover on or off?

Marina employee today told me that the cover might shred by the time I'm home. Previous owner towed close to 2400 miles with no issues. What do experienced owners have to say?

One last question. Is there any difference if I close the center aisle window or leave it open when the mooring cover is on?