• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Just purchased 2020 195s, should I install Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 DELUXE or JBP Thrust Vector X?

I have not been on a boat that has had them but i can say i have not had any issues without them on my boat, close to 40hrs now
Came in to say this. I have 133-ish hours now, and I really don't feel a strong need for either setup.

Jets drive different, not bad, just different.

I don't make jet boat steering I make high performance jet boat steering If you want the control from docking to all speeds that exceeds the physical ability of the stock system, if you want to have the ability to tune your steering to meet your needs at all speeds even OFF power control. Then the patented steering systems you need are available through COBRA JET STEERING LLC.
I have spent nearly 2 decades inventing and patenting steering upgrades for jet propelled water craft , not only filling in the voids but enhancing the steering capability bringing it to a new level . And always keeping it very cost effective. I don't do bling I do steering. You can do the bling but remember in the water people can not even see the steering.
Here is the question, if you are operating your boat and you do not feel comfortable, you constantly have to move your wheel in a left right pattern to keep going straight, or if you are concerned about rapidly decelerating and being able to maintaining control of the boat while doing that.
If you are concerned about driving in waves, wind and current because you just don't feel like you have proper control or if the Admiral refuses to drive the boat then you are a good candidate for high performance steering. If you don't have those concerns but only worry about docking and loading then any steering will help that.

I have not been on a boat that has had them but i can say i have not had any issues without them on my boat, close to 40hrs now
@Remington .....like @Remington I have a new 2020 19 footer (SX195) also about the same hours. I also have had no issues with slow speed maneuvering and certainly not high speed handling. Maybe the re-designed bucket has made the difference? Don't get me wrong I love getting the "latest" for my water rides but in this case I don't feel the need - yet. :cool:

I have an 2020 AR210, used it 4 or so times first. It did get squirrely at no wake speeds, especially in super high traffic areas where, because of other clowns on the water, you didn't want to wander. Also at WOT and Pulling water sports the boat handled fine but got pushed around a bit in the chop.

I ordered the" Super Magnum AK-19 DELUXE", put them on and haven't looked back. No Wake and slow the boat tracks much better and very noticeable.

Towing and WOT, boat tracks straight and I can even take my hand of the wheel and it will track fine. Hole shot is a bit better as well.

I like em and they will be on my Next Yamaha if that day comes.

Do people drive good with out them, yes. I prefer the Power Steering effect they give. Also the Ass End of the boat doesn't feel as sloppy/sloshy as it did without them on.

Cannot give you any info about Thrust Vectors since I haven't used them.

Last edited:
Do either of these help or hinder the boat being able to spin around when hammering the throttle in a hard turn?

So my takeaway from this is at low speed only, around the docks, in a marina, either product will enhance steering ability. I’m not concerned about enhancing high speed maneuvering at all because there will be very little of this. And there will not be tubing or wakeboarding.

In the Chesapeake and surrounding tributaries there can be significant floating debris such as tree branches and other items. Let me know if I’m correct with the following:

The Cobra Jet AK product is fixed in whatever down position is selected therefore no flex if an operator were to strike a branch bending of the fins and/or breakage is more likely to occur to the attachment points.

The Thrust Vector product has flex to it because of the springs so if an object is struck the fins will flex and likely not break what the fins are attached to. If this is the case then the Thrust Vector product may be the product for me in this regard. But someone mentioned using JB Weld for the install?? Is that correct?? I’m not crazy about that.

I’m about ready to finally put my boat in the water just trying to figure out what product to install or maybe go without.

Cobras have a spring too. Depending on which set of holes you use determines the spring’s strength of how much down force it has. Very top two holes and the fins retract from just the water.

They are not rigidly attached. They’re designed to move up, just with different amounts of tension based on your preferred setting when you install it.

Attachments

• CF7DA09D-5E2B-4FCC-8848-AA80E3B5B54C.jpeg
    CF7DA09D-5E2B-4FCC-8848-AA80E3B5B54C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
So my takeaway from this is at low speed only, around the docks, in a marina, either product will enhance steering ability. I’m not concerned about enhancing high speed maneuvering at all because there will be very little of this. And there will not be tubing or wakeboarding.

Cobra has the choice you decide if you want high speed or not and they do not hang down below the factory rudder in either mode full time or part time.

In the Chesapeake and surrounding tributaries there can be significant floating debris such as tree branches and other items. Let me know if I’m correct with the following:

The Cobra Jet AK product is fixed in whatever down position is selected therefore no flex if an operator were to strike a branch bending of the fins and/or breakage is more likely to occur to the attachment points.

Absolutely incorrect like I said the tempered aluminum spring loaded fins don't go below your rudder and keel so guess what non flexible item will take the brunt of an impact.

The Thrust Vector product has flex to it because of the springs so if an object is struck the fins will flex and likely not break what the fins are attached to. If this is the case then the Thrust Vector product may be the product for me in this regard. But someone mentioned using JB Weld for the install?? Is that correct?? I’m not crazy about that.
I seriously believe you need to continue with your research, First drive the boat as is and try doing turns when slowing down rapidly and just slow down rapidly and see if the boat tracks straight. Then let a guest operator try driving it. Look ma no keel! Yes some people just decided that after breaking the keel off they only needed the super ultimate system.

I’m about ready to finally put my boat in the water just trying to figure out what product to install or maybe go without.

Attachments

• Another broken keel.jpg
    Another broken keel.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 65
Thanks for the clarification regarding spring mounts. That settles that issue.

The Yamaha steering definitely feels different than my other boat which I experienced on the test run and the delivery test run. I just want the best solution at slow speeds around the marina. That’s now my only concern. So for the sole purpose, the absolute only purpose of slow speed maneuvering around a marina without any regard to slowing down from high speed and attempting to turn, or high speed turning, or tubing, or wakeboarding, or anything else, which product is better?

I take it that for the one and only purpose of slow speed maneuvering in and around a marina it makes no difference what brand of fins you buy. A fin is a fin for this purpose.

Thanks for the clarification regarding spring mounts. That settles that issue.

The Yamaha steering definitely feels different than my other boat which I experienced on the test run and the delivery test run. I just want the best solution at slow speeds around the marina. That’s now my only concern. So for the sole purpose, the absolute only purpose of slow speed maneuvering around a marina without any regard to slowing down from high speed and attempting to turn, or high speed turning, or tubing, or wakeboarding, or anything else, which product is better?
@bigwaves .....if you are going to buy "fins" anyway - even if only for low speed maneuvers and docking - I would purchase the Cobras because of their renowned low AND particularly high speed stability.....that way you will get full value for your purchase for your usage AND re-sale added value.

@bigwaves .....if you are going to buy "fins" anyway - even if only for low speed maneuvers and docking - I would purchase the Cobras because of their renowned low AND particularly high speed stability.....that way you will get full value for your purchase for your usage AND re-sale added value.

Thanks Canuck ?? Always value added commentary and appreciated ??

@bigwaves Install them you won't regret it and won't look back.

I just put the Thrust Vector X on my SX190. Had it out this past weekend for the first time since installing and I felt a noticeable difference when I was docking and loading it up on the trailer. Technologically, I can't imagine there is a noticeable difference between the TVX and Cobras, so I doubt you can go wrong with either. But I would definitely add one of them to your boat. I ultimately went with the TVX because I wanted to install them myself and jetboatpilot had a great youtube video showing step-by-step install (which was important for me as I'm not technically savvy). I also like that the TVX were powdercoated, so they looked nicer.

I have looked in a number of threads but this is a big forum so if i missed the answer to this somewhere else I apologize.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC, I need some help... I have a 2018 AR190 and the very first mod i did was the Lateral Thrusters from JBP and I absolutely love how they work. I was interested in your Venom Viper steering and doing the top fangs with it... but the question I have is will I get full steering articulation with your system AND the lateral thrusters both installed???

hello, so how do we know how high or low to mount in the down position?

I have looked in a number of threads but this is a big forum so if i missed the answer to this somewhere else I apologize.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC, I need some help... I have a 2018 AR190 and the very first mod i did was the Lateral Thrusters from JBP and I absolutely love how they work. I was interested in your Venom Viper steering and doing the top fangs with it... but the question I have is will I get full steering articulation with your system AND the lateral thrusters both installed???
you cannot use the lateral thrusters with a viper since they both use the bottom nozzle bolt to attach to the pump, I would say use the top fangs and the viper and you won't be giving up any of your reverse thrust or stopping power and the boat will turn in reverse excellently. Not to mention that system complete is discounted buy direct price of only $255 with free domestic priority mail also you will be gaining the planing surface for fast hole shots and get full time steering as well no more left right or the boat wandering at speed and it will not go off in some odd direction if you are rapidly reducing throttle while on plane. You can use the super ultimate AK deluxe with that boat also and this also provides a planing surface as well as full time fins spring loaded and made of tempered aluminum since that system does not use the bottom nozzle bolt if you were inclined to ad the lateral thruster to it keep in mind they threaten to not cover your part under warranty if you dare to mix and match but I don't do that even if the bottom bolt fell out as has happened from time to time and the lateral thruster damaged any of my systems I would still cover my system under my fix or repair warranty available for viewing on my web page. So good luck with your quest just remember it's the internet so let the reader beware. As for discounts I offer buy direct discounted pricing to all who order directly through my site I also add a special extra discount for first responders, and active or disabled military presonell, From the inovator of aftermarket steering for jet boats with 4 US patents and a 5th being issued all in one name, making jet boats steer and drivers smile since 2001

Back