• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lakes near Illinois

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi All,

I'm a new boater in Chicago burbs, trying to find lakes near me for family fun, relaxing or fishing.

I'm considering Lake Shelby (south), Twin Lakes Wisconsin (north), possibly Lake Winnebago near Fond Du Lac.

If anyone could chime in with regards to lodging, boat launch and fees associated I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, how would a Yami 242x fair on Lake Michigan?

TIA

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I frequent Lake michigan as often as I have time!
a 24' boat would be all the easier!
Treat it with respect and realize that there are days you won't be able to go out there anyways.
There is an app on google play store called chicago marine forecast or something similar (kids playing with my phone right now.) and it will give you different lake conditions. It's basically NOAA stuff all condensed into something we can use by area. Some cool camera views around south shore as well.
After that, it all depends on where you are at!
Put your zip into your info and look up the member map!
I am in Cedar lake, which is a small lake for those days Lake Michigan isn't doable.
Check out Lake Geneva possibly.
CERTAINLY start searching out the Shelbyville threads on these forums and see if a family oriented wakesurfing party of the midwest is something you would enjoy (you will).
There is Lake Monroe, the rivers all through Illinois, etc. Like I said, check in with your location because in Illinois, you have many friends!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Another note: in summer, feel free to send me a pm if you plan on coming to the south shore of Lake Michigan and we can possibly hook up or at least I could let you know how the waves are, where to launch, where to go, etc. I am sure many more will chime in!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Lithia Springs Resort in Shelbyville. Cozy and a couple hundred yards from the launch. Marina same distance away if you would rather slip the boat for the weekend or get fuel on the water.

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another note: in summer, feel free to send me a pm if you plan on coming to the south shore of Lake Michigan and we can possibly hook up or at least I could let you know how the waves are, where to launch, where to go, etc. I am sure many more will chime in!
Will do 😎

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @Jimxo, welcome!! We're up in NW burbs and trailer 2-4 days a week up to Lake Geneva, great lake, great launches (downtown lake G,, Williams Bay or Lyn Pier) All are about $20 unless you find one you prefer then opt for the season pass if you anticipate going frequently. There is always the chain too, but I refuse to take my boat out there, too many boats in such a small, shallow waterway. Fun to experience though, if you haven't.

The 24's handle great on Lake MI. Been out a few times and usually launch at Diversy, easy in, easy out, and plenty of parking too. Hit up Navy pier behind the breakwall if it gets too choppy, also hit up the play pen near North Ave beach, GOOD TIMES!!

If you hit up Lake G this summer we're up there nearly every Friday- Sunday and the occasional weekdays too!

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Illinois river is a great time, Chicago river and out into the lake and Waupaca Wi is a great family destination with crystal clear water. We tow everywhere a few days a week from Downers Grove.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If shallow muddy water interests you, there is always the Fox River. It is free.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If shallow muddy water interests you, there is always the Fox River. It is free.
Free... Minus the $20 launch fee. Don't hit the chain without a Fox Waterway pass, one of the 30 law enforcement agencies will tag you, for sure!!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Probably should have qualified to say launch on the Fox River in Elgin. Totally free.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@buckbuck You could even qualify that further, as there is a navigable section of the Fox River in St Charles, and another section north of Elgin, then eventually the Fox Chain.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My folks bought a place on Lake Koshkonong near Milton, WI. It’s a shallow, wide spot on the Rock River, but the lake is huge and is no more than 8-9 feet deep at the most. Fun for tubing, fishing, etc...you can launch free at the county parks or pay $10 at the marinas.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lots of lakes just north of you past the "cheese curtain"... Although, not sure we want all you FISHTABS up here. I'm thinking a Wisco/Illin meet on one of our southern lakes, Koshkonong, Geneva...