• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking at purchasing a 190fsh sport

CapeSinjin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just purchased a condo in Cape coral Florida. Going down from Minnesota in couple weeks to get things organized and look for a boat. I am really liking the 190 fsh sport. When looking at used models what should I look at or check out. I am going to look at a few that are 2017- 2018 models all with less than 200 hours. What upgrades should I look for? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Besides the obvious like checking general condition of boat and major damage, look at the impeller/wear ring under the boat. Should be sharp and smooth, no dings or nicks. Looking at the intake grate/pumps will tell you how well its been maintained from salt water, a well rinsed boat will show minimal corrosion. Check oil, make sure it's clear. Check engine hatch struts for rust. I'd check date sticker on batteries - FL batteries get 3-4 years tops. Make sure all switches work.

Test drive it - make sure it runs mid-high 30s and throttle or steering isn't stiff. Whne you return, check drain plugs to see if boat is taking on water.

Buying a used boat I wouldn't concern my self with upgrades. When you get it, some to do are stereo, seadek, and cobra jets.

You will suffer from a severe case of boat envy, under powered.

As @adrianp89 said check for the major items listed. As we are from the “same” area of Tampa Bay, I agree with the items to looks for and definitely suggest @Cobra Jet Steering LLC for steering fins. As I am originally from the Midwest (Ohio) I was reluctant to buy a boat from Florida as I do not know how the prior owner treated the boat, but this site provide fantastic information and can help diagnose or persuade opinion. I purchased a new boat as pre owned during Covid were not available. As long as everything checks out, get it at the right price!

As @adrianp89 said check for the major items listed. As we are from the “same” area of Tampa Bay, I agree with the items to looks for and definitely suggest @Cobra Jet Steering LLC for steering fins. As I am originally from the Midwest (Ohio) I was reluctant to buy a boat from Florida as I do not know how the prior owner treated the boat, but this site provide fantastic information and can help diagnose or persuade opinion. I purchased a new boat as pre owned during Covid were not available. As long as everything checks out, get it at the right price!

I will add - none of the things I listed would be deal breakers but would be used in negotiation.

Welcome aboard & to boating in FL!

Along with @adrianp89 & @Thermobrett suggestions, looking at the hose clamps in the engine bay & bilge access (might need to use your cell phone to take a brief video via the access hatch). If they show rust, that’s an indication of how well the boat was rinsed/cleaned of salt. Replacing them is ~3-4hr job…

Also JBP has a video about checking the engine anode, if that’s stubborn to remove or very corroded, that’s another indication as to potential build up in the engine cooling jackets - which can only be remedied by breaking down the engine and manually removing.

Are either of the above stoppers?!? Not necessarily, just an indication of maintenance that will need to be addressed sooner than later and should be addressed in the price.

I would add that if you can get a business card in between the impeller and the wear ring that gap is too large and will require some attention. Too big a gap will lower top speed and probably produce some cavitation.

That power pole is very nice to have, easiest way to setup by the sandbar or catching bait near shore

Definitely a boat set up to fish!

I stayed in Cape Coral last year and we rented a 22’ Hurricane deck boat. I personally have a 2020 195S. All I’ll say is I don’t know if I would feel comfortable running a 19 footer around there. In the bay and through the miserable mile maybe, but not in open water. Storms pop up every day and you will get caught in one guaranteed. We did and it changed from a a nice cruise to 3 - 4 foot seas in the miserable mile. Definitely one of the hardest rains I have ever been in! The 30 - 40 foot boats were even pulling out to seek refuge. Not knowing the waters like the back of my hand I opted to trudge forward as getting out of the channel can be bad on a good day, either hitting coral or beaching. I will say that the hull design of that Hurricane handled that really well along with some 2’ seas out from Sanibel island. I’m not sure my 195 would have faired as well. Also, in an ocean environment, I really would be looking for something with dual engines from a back up perspective. A 22 footer would be my bare minimum, but that is just me. Enjoy a picture from our experience before the rain hit!
1693625848345.png

I stayed in Cape Coral last year and we rented a 22’ Hurricane deck boat. I personally have a 2020 195S. All I’ll say is I don’t know if I would feel comfortable running a 19 footer around there. In the bay and through the miserable mile maybe, but not in open water. Storms pop up every day and you will get caught in one guaranteed. We did and it changed from a a nice cruise to 3 - 4 foot seas in the miserable mile. Definitely one of the hardest rains I have ever been in! The 30 - 40 foot boats were even pulling out to seek refuge. Not knowing the waters like the back of my hand I opted to trudge forward as getting out of the channel can be bad on a good day, either hitting coral or beaching. I will say that the hull design of that Hurricane handled that really well along with some 2’ seas out from Sanibel island. I’m not sure my 195 would have faired as well. Also, in an ocean environment, I really would be looking for something with dual engines from a back up perspective. A 22 footer would be my bare minimum, but that is just me. Enjoy a picture from our experience before the rain hit!
View attachment 207692
You are right about the storm and at least 22footer (if i have to redo my choice). I have a 19 footer and the good thing about florida storm is 99% happens in the afternoon, I been taking my 19 footer off shore for almost 3 years now and only got caught once (my 2nd time out in the ocean) but I quickly learned my lesson lol. 19 footer is doable, always check weather and find the least likely time that storm hit. in atlantic side, 6am to 11am is a great time to go out (never seen any storm brew during that time, just shower here and there).

+1 for knowing your weather. I rarely get caught in storms here in FL. During summer it will get nasty every day, it happens quick and disappears quick. Knowing your weather and you can avoid it easily. It’s more of a gut feeling than the weather app (though that helps for larger predictable systems)

Back