• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy '08-'13 21 ft. Yamaha Jet. Any advice?

Peter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sold my 20' outboard bowrider five or six years ago. I want my family to enjoy boating like I did growing up, so I'm considering buying a used 21 foot Yamaha. I would feel better with the dual engines of the 21ft line, and I'm hoping that jets are more economical in terms of maintenance and reliability than my old outboard was.

I've found 6 21 ft Yamahas (SX, AR, and SS) within driving distance priced between $20K and $29K. Are those prices in the right range? How far down should I expect to negotiate? Can you guys give me any tips about what to look for when inspecting one of these boats for purchase? Are there any boats to avoid? Thanks for any advice you may have!

-Pete

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would be tempted to sell mine if you gave me 29k for my 08 212ss with all the upgrades but well "loved" by my children lol
You're in the ballpark for sure. I would certainly shoot for the HO motors with the 160 hp. You'll know because the lid on the engine will have the colored sticker, not the black and white.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My advice would be to test drive one. We were only looking at getting an AR or SX 210 until we got out on one and realized we needed the space of a 230.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Peter ! You will certainly find that Yamaha boats hold pretty good value, subject to care and condition. Care being the most important because it will dictate condition too. The 21' boats include the 212 line that were powered with the HO version of the MR-1 and as @Speedling mentions, is 160HP each vs 110HP each on the 210 versions. The 212 will get about the same fuel economy as the 210, so the tradeoff is hole shot power and more throughout the power band. Top speed will also be better on the 212. But as your lake elevation increases, the loss of power increases as well, so if your boating takes you to lakes higher than 2000' elevation, consider that. If you add your location as zip code or even area lake to your profile, it will show you on the member map as well as having your location on your profile beside your posts. That is more important than you might think...when guys answer questions or comment on your post, they have a general idea of the geographic area you boat in, weather, water conditions, market conditions, and other jetboaters.net members close by that may offer a ride or even assistance. So welcome aboard once again, and good luck on the search!

Peter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the information. I'll look for a 212 then, I would prefer to have the more powerful engines. I'll be doing most of my boating on the Great South Bay in New York. It's not a lake, but I figure these boats are up to it.

In regards to the recommendation about the 230 having more space, I'm a bit worried about towing and dealing with a larger boat. As we're just getting back into boating, I'd like to stay smaller, at least initially. Maybe we'll love it and upgrade in a few years. If these boats retain their value well, we shouldn't lose too much in the transaction.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How is the water in the Great South Bay? You may wish you had that extra 2' if you find rough water.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great south bay... I would look at a 23 or 24 footer unless you are limited to the 21 size (tow vehicle, storage).

Peter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Great South Bay can get choppy. I was able to deal with the chop on my 20 footer, but I do agree a larger boat would be better. I don't really want to trailer a boat that large though. Are jetboats more susceptible to chop due to their shallow draft?

I must say that you guys are very supportive. More than half of you suggested a larger boat! I love it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
These boats are considered a deep v, but they are not deep like some stern drives. They are also much lighter, with a high tech robotic built hull, that is microns thick compared to the hand layups of other manufacturers. There is a plus and minus to that. They are lighter weight, saving you acquisition cost, fuel for the boat, fuel for the tow vehicle. The downside is that the hull is lighter, thinner, and slightly more fragile than their overweight cousins. Because of this, you have to consider how you dock and beach maybe more than a thicker gelcoat might get you to. Either one takes nothing more than touching a pier or a submerged rock or stump to scratch it, but with a thinner gelcoat, it can cut through with less force. Also, the lighter hull can be tossed a bit more than a heavier boat in rough conditions. Because it is a jet boat, and the pump is not tiltable, you can't trim the ride out like on a stern drive. So you forced to ride it out, or adjust to it. I am in the adjust camp and that is only possible when max fuel range isn't required. These boats, all boats, get their optimum fuel range at a point of least drag for unit of energy expended. On these boats, it is in the 28-35 mph. And sometimes, due to chop or surface condition, that just isn't comfortable. Other boats may be more comfortable...but generally speaking, any boat in the 21' range will be a 21' boat and ride like that. The 23 and 24' boats will ride considerably better in rougher seas, but as you go up in length, I personally don't think a 5000 pound boat will ride as good as a 7000 pound boat, and there are a number of 24' boats approaching that.

These boats are GREAT all around boats, that can do many things very well. But they aren't the best suited to all things. No boat is best at all things. There is always a compromise. If a bay boat is what your after primarily, you would be better suited with a bay boat. If an all around boat is what your after, then this is it! Most bay boats in this price and size range, won't give you the awesome swim platform, layout, economy, ease of owner maintenance, and jaw dropping forum we have to help here!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These boats are considered a deep v, but they are not deep like some stern drives. They are also much lighter, with a high tech robotic built hull, that is microns thick compared to the hand layups of other manufacturers. There is a plus and minus to that. They are lighter weight, saving you acquisition cost, fuel for the boat, fuel for the tow vehicle. The downside is that the hull is lighter, thinner, and slightly more fragile than their overweight cousins. Because of this, you have to consider how you dock and beach maybe more than a thicker gelcoat might get you to. Either one takes nothing more than touching a pier or a submerged rock or stump to scratch it, but with a thinner gelcoat, it can cut through with less force. Also, the lighter hull can be tossed a bit more than a heavier boat in rough conditions. Because it is a jet boat, and the pump is not tiltable, you can't trim the ride out like on a stern drive. So you forced to ride it out, or adjust to it. I am in the adjust camp and that is only possible when max fuel range isn't required. These boats, all boats, get their optimum fuel range at a point of least drag for unit of energy expended. On these boats, it is in the 28-35 mph. And sometimes, due to chop or surface condition, that just isn't comfortable. Other boats may be more comfortable...but generally speaking, any boat in the 21' range will be a 21' boat and ride like that. The 23 and 24' boats will ride considerably better in rougher seas, but as you go up in length, I personally don't think a 5000 pound boat will ride as good as a 7000 pound boat, and there are a number of 24' boats approaching that.

These boats are GREAT all around boats, that can do many things very well. But they aren't the best suited to all things. No boat is best at all things. There is always a compromise. If a bay boat is what your after primarily, you would be better suited with a bay boat. If an all around boat is what your after, then this is it! Most bay boats in this price and size range, won't give you the awesome swim platform, layout, economy, ease of owner maintenance, and jaw dropping forum we have to help here!
@txav8r So well said!
I'm going to save your post for future quotation needs when addressing jet boat doubters! Hehehe. :)

Peter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Because it is a jet boat, and the pump is not tiltable, you can't trim the ride out like on a stern drive. So you forced to ride it out, or adjust to it. I am in the adjust camp...
I've only ever owned outboards. Trim was important, so I presume that your comments about trim and sterndrives apply to my experience as well. I'm not too concerned with max fuel economy, but I'm curious what you mean by ride it out or adjust to it. By adjust do you mean varying speed until the boat is most stable? Faster? I assume "ride it out" means to just deal with the bumpiness?

If a bay boat is what your after primarily, you would be better suited with a bay boat.
What differentiates a bay boat from these 21-24 ft Yamahas? I tried googling, but I couldn't get a clear definition. I'm leaning towards a Yamaha jetboat in particular because I've got the belief (hopefully the correct one) that they are easier to maintain and that Yamaha is a standup company with great engineering. They seem like a one-of-a-kind boat manufacturer.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see your comments now about trailering and not wanting a larger boat. I would just consider going larger 23/24 if you can. Otherwise, you can manage and watch the conditions closely so that you are not out when the waves/chop is on the high side. I boat in the Chesapeake bay and I keep it to 1-2' conditions when deciding to go out. My boat is small (19 1/2 feet) and one of the lightest boats that Yamaha built

The other thing to consider is who is boating with you on the bay. My wife hates the chop and so can some other passengers but my son and I look for the big waves. Think about how comfortable you need the boat to be (i.e. young kids). More comfort means bigger boat. I think you could look at taking a test ride before you make the final decision on size. If you use the member map, there are probably people that would take you for a spin. Good luck

Yamaha - yes, very easy to maintain.
Yamaha - yes, standup company
#1 forum right here

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Adjusting to the conditions almost always means slowing down to make it smoother. But...there are big water conditions that can make it imperative that you not get off plane. I wouldn't deliberately boat in those conditions, but some find they must, such as the group that makes annual crossings to Bimini from Florida. But again, I would not do such a trip with my boat if I couldn't not guarantee fairly smooth conditions. The boat can take it, but I may not want to. And even though the host can take it, it doesn't mean you may not break something pounding it continuously. So the only way to adjust is to slow down. One other option is adding trim tabs. But they will only push the bow down, not trim it up.

A bay boat isn't a specific brand or model, but one that is marketed to handle bay type conditions vs a typical open bow lake boat, like these. Bay boats are deeper V hulls and many center consoles are designed with bay, flats, and off shore boating in mind.

Peter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the clarifications. I just realized my car can't trailer a 21 foot boat anyway, so I'm going to either need to get a bigger car or a marina slot. I'm going to look around, but I won't hesitate to ask further questions if I have any. Thanks a bunch.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Peter, some of us have added trim tabs to our Yamahas. They are a great help in crossing another boats wake or for keeping the bow down in up to 3' seas.