• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maybe I shouldn't own a boat..

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Mercury 120 sport jet two stroke: Went today and got a hose adapter to run the engine out of water. Seen a few videos of this so wanted to try. Turn the hose on and water was coming out the cooling indicater just like a hose. So I go to start it and the engine doesn't even turn. Long story shorter I pulled the plugs and sure as sh** it filled the cylinders with water. So I hand turned the engine over until no water was coming out, sprayed a ton of wd-40 into each cylinder and used a pull rope to spin the engine, then after just used the starter for a good 30 seconds.... How eff'd am I? Should I just put the plugs back and see what happens? I don't have the time or place to do a tear down...

You were lucky the engine didn't turn over as your engine was hydrolocked. It could have been fatal. I would leave the plugs out and Crank the engine for short spurts until nothing comes out of the spark plug holes. You should be able to start after putting the plugs back in.

In the future, engine on, water on. Water off, engine off.

So that was the mistake, engine has to be on first, then water? Makes sense, my hose is a mile long, that's the only reason I turned it on first. As of right now I have grey liquid coming out, assuming its the WD trying to mix with the water. I put the top three plugs in assuming the water went to the bottom. And I'm doing short spirts as now.

Said grey liquid20180818_140538.jpg

I wouldn't have sprayed wd40 in there just because it's going to be nastier than it needed to be. Should have just removed the plugs and turned the starter over so it would spit out all of the water from the top of the cylinders. That being said wd40 won't hurt it and once it starts it may smoke pretty good for a little bit.

As you know now, engine on then water on to being flush. The end you do the opposite, turn off water then engine off. I use my Salt Away dispenser valve when I flush at home. That way I can easily turn off/on the water making sure it's not on before I start the engine.

Yesss, I took plenty of time over the last few hours flushing it with the plugs out and it runs again! :)

You dodged a bullet! Glad to hear it's running fine now and all is good.

Well not fine. Gotta get the carbs tuned. It wouldn't idle before but yes! Thank you lol

Don't sell the boat, you already learned the sequence, and you won't forget!!!

The biggest mistake you could have made would have been to WAIT to get it running, that would be the kiss of death. I have sunk a few 2 stroke skies in salt water and stayed up half the night to get them running before I would leave them sit.

Yeah, it's nearing the end of the season and I just got the boat. Only been out once for about a half hour and now it won't idle (again). I changed plugs and that fixed it but not it's back to the same so I can't even out water to it for the fact it won't idle

probably try to clean the plugs and see if it works

What year is your boat/motor .
Have you been using ethanol free fuel ?
Have you changed the fuel filter ?
Is your boat garage kept or yard storage?
And yes You do deserve to have a boat
Life is a journey!

Its a 95 baja with aamerc 120 sport jet engine. On had the boat a few weeks and first thing I did was fill it with ethanol free 91. Cleaned the carbs last night, oil pump works. About to go throw new plugs in it now.

95 mercury hmmm
I have a 99 mercury
Im going through the electrical ignition right now. With all mi issues , idle has only plagued me when fuel delivery was a problem. I was advised just this week that mercury fuel pumps have a recommended 2 year rebuild.

My butterfly's don't even move until wot... That doesn't seem right... Lol

With out actually seaing your engine,
The throttle advancement is a series of components that have to work in unison to step up timing oil delivery fuel and air. This is all directly affected by load , and operating the engine out of the water will not give you accurate results when tuning.

That's what I thought the original problem was because it worked out of water but then it wouldn't work after. Now I've messed around with it so much that it just won't idle. Only way it runs is if I manually hold the butterflies open like a choke

Back