• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Memorial Day 2021 San Diego Bay Advice and Raft Up

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Due to issues with child care and the Navy we are forced to cancel our 4 day Lower Colorado River trip over Memorial Day weekend.

Seeing as it's Memorial Day weekend and our boat is designed for holiday weekends.... there is no way in hell I'm sitting on the sidelines for this one. That said, we will be dropping the boat in Salt for the first time and will be going full send on Saturday, 29 May 2021 in San Diego Bay.

We do have a slip at the military marina in Fiddlers Cove from Friday, 28 May 2021 through Monday, 31 May 2021.

The plan is to launch at Glorietta Bay in Coronado.
Have a family day on Friday 28 May.
Throw the pole up for some child free debauchery on Saturday, 29 May... looking for the best place to drop anchor and party.
Sunday, 30 May will depend on how we feel =)

It's been 15 years since I've boated in this area. Looking for any advice and or recommendations.

Also, if your going to be in the bay let me know! Maybe we can organize a Jet Boat Raft Up on that Saturday.

175688917_10217526475748640_3739399949255331794_n.jpg

Last edited:
Lower Colorado River as in Havasu? That place is on my bucket list....

Lower Colorado River as in Havasu? That place is on my bucket list....

Lower Colorado as in the Martinez Lake area of Arizona. It's actually the Southern most stretch of the Colorado River right before it dumps into Mexico. It's just above Yuma, AZ. South of Lake Havasu. We do frequent Havasu but I'd definitely mark Lake Powell above it on your list if we are talking the Colorado River.

Lower Colorado as in the Martinez Lake area of Arizona. It's actually the Southern most stretch of the Colorado River right before it dumps into Mexico. It's just above Yuma, AZ. South of Lake Havasu. We do frequent Havasu but I'd definitely mark Lake Powell above it on your list if we are talking the Colorado River.
Powell is like #1 on the list. Recommendations for Powell? Lodging, launching, slipping?

Powell is like #1 on the list. Recommendations for Powell? Lodging, launching, slipping?

Bro.... Only way. THE ONLY WAY to do it is by house boat with your Yamaha in tow. Go directly through Deluxe Houseboat Rentals at Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas in AZ & UT. You can get a good deal with a catch: You'll have to book 6-8 months in advance, pay 100% up front with no refunds.

Also, make sure the house boat you get has a flying bridge/helm. I made the mistake of getting the cheapest house boat available about 10 years ago (it did not have one). I was stuck piloting the house boat below decks while everyone else was topside on the roof partying and enjoying the scenery. I felt like a bus driver for about 4 hours and it sucked.

Basically you take the house boat to the middle of Lake Powell and set up a base camp. From there, take your Yamaha and straight up EXPLORE! It truly is a boaters paradise.

It really does take some planing and coordination. You'll have to pack out about 5 days worth of food for your entire crew. Take into account fuel consumption for the house boat and boat while keeping in mind that you are in the middle of no where. There are so many other little things but I'm pretty sure there covered on other threads.

Bro.... Only way. THE ONLY WAY to do it is by house boat with your Yamaha in tow. Go directly through Deluxe Houseboat Rentals at Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas in AZ & UT. You can get a good deal with a catch: You'll have to book 6-8 months in advance, pay 100% up front with no refunds.

Also, make sure the house boat you get has a flying bridge/helm. I made the mistake of getting the cheapest house boat available about 10 years ago (it did not have one). I was stuck piloting the house boat below decks while everyone else was topside on the roof partying and enjoying the scenery. I felt like a bus driver for about 4 hours and it sucked.

Basically you take the house boat to the middle of Lake Powell and set up a base camp. From there, take your Yamaha and straight up EXPLORE! It truly is a boaters paradise.

It really does take some planing and coordination. You'll have to pack out about 5 days worth of food for your entire crew. Take into account fuel consumption for the house boat and boat while keeping in mind that you are in the middle of no where. There are so many other little things but I'm pretty sure their covered on other threads.
Awesome...thanks! Great advice!

Did you stow extra fuel?

Did you stow extra fuel?

Yeah. I brought a bunch of extra fuel tanks. I also asked the 10 people that came with to bring a 5 gallon tank. We stowed them on the top deck. The nearest gas station is Dangling Rope Marina and the last thing you want to do is kill an hour or so on that evolution while out there. Time is a precious commodity when on that lake.

You'll want to stock up on Ice for 5 days and make sure you have a VHF radio as well. A hand held radio will work.

San Diego Bay is pretty limited. We used to ski in between the Coronado bridge and NAB - right off the golf course (top of the 2 in your picture where it says 29 May) but they might have enlarged the no-wake zone to make this impractical. Another place we used to ski was on the east side of NAB - (behind the S in Saturday) there is a awesome little beach that is pretty small at high tide but nice at low tide - not sure if this is still allowed. Occasionaly right by Fiddlers cove you can catch some flat conditions if the winds are just right.

Humphreys on the Bay would have concerts 3-4 times a week and you could pull right up on your boat. Note- unless you arrive very late you will be blocked in and can not leave until the mass exodus at the end of the concert. We would also dock by the Ferry Landing and then walk over to the Coronado Brew Pub.

Seeing as this is all in CA - not sure what is going on for Memorial day weekend in regard to Covid. You could also go around Pt Loma and head into Mission Bay for a change of scenary if your feeling adventerous.

Have Fun - would love to join you but not in Cali anymore.

Scoop

You will have a blast. I've launched from the same place at Coronado in 2019 and then wetslip the boat by the Marriott - where we stayed one night. (you can call the Marriott and ask them to reserve a slip there if you are spending the night which we did) The Coronado bay is all protected, so it allows for smooth conditions and great cruising.
As its your first salt dip, be sure to get salt away for the boat to rinse through the engines when you are done.
I see you have a painted trailer. Best thing to do to really clean it out is to take it over to san vicente lake - launch there (25 minutes away) and let the trailer 'soak' in the fresh water when you launch and retrieve (the trailers retain water/salt within the tubes - so bathing in fresh water should do it). Also - good for 'cleaning out' your boat too. If you really like in the bay - you should invest in a galvanized trailer. Enjoy the weekend - you will love it.

San Diego Bay is pretty limited. We used to ski in between the Coronado bridge and NAB - right off the golf course (top of the 2 in your picture where it says 29 May) but they might have enlarged the no-wake zone to make this impractical. Another place we used to ski was on the east side of NAB - (behind the S in Saturday) there is a awesome little beach that is pretty small at high tide but nice at low tide - not sure if this is still allowed. Occasionaly right by Fiddlers cove you can catch some flat conditions if the winds are just right.

Humphreys on the Bay would have concerts 3-4 times a week and you could pull right up on your boat. Note- unless you arrive very late you will be blocked in and can not leave until the mass exodus at the end of the concert. We would also dock by the Ferry Landing and then walk over to the Coronado Brew Pub.

Seeing as this is all in CA - not sure what is going on for Memorial day weekend in regard to Covid. You could also go around Pt Loma and head into Mission Bay for a change of scenary if your feeling adventerous.

Have Fun - would love to join you but not in Cali anymore.

Scoop

I totally forgot about the concerts at Humphrys on the Bay. I will have to check that out.

California is slowly opening up. The nightlife is returning to San Diego with minimal restrictions.

Thanks for the tips!

You will have a blast. I've launched from the same place at Coronado in 2019 and then wetslip the boat by the Marriott - where we stayed one night. (you can call the Marriott and ask them to reserve a slip there if you are spending the night which we did) The Coronado bay is all protected, so it allows for smooth conditions and great cruising.
As its your first salt dip, be sure to get salt away for the boat to rinse through the engines when you are done.
I see you have a painted trailer. Best thing to do to really clean it out is to take it over to san vicente lake - launch there (25 minutes away) and let the trailer 'soak' in the fresh water when you launch and retrieve (the trailers retain water/salt within the tubes - so bathing in fresh water should do it). Also - good for 'cleaning out' your boat too. If you really like in the bay - you should invest in a galvanized trailer. Enjoy the weekend - you will love it.

Good to hear.

We store our boat in Chula Vista so driving all the way up to San V or El Cap and back wouldn't be ideal but definitely a great idea. I'll be sure to flush the engines and the trailer the best I can after the weekend.

We will be dropping her back in fresh on the Lower Colorado over Father's day weekend.

Back