• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Delivery of Grimalkin aka FisherCat

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not much to show yesterday on the river. We are at Hop O Nose marina in the Catskills. We started the morning off in rain gear, but the cleared an hour later for the rest of the day. The current was against us, so we were only making around 5kts. All was good until Around 3pm, when the starboard 9.9 motor broke a valve or valve spring in the lower cylinder. It sounded like a fouled plug at first, so I changed plugs, saw the lower was wet and tried again, no difference. Fuel was spitting out the intake. Then I could hear the valve. Shut the motor down. Lifted out of water for less drag. We were only at 2.5 kts, too slow. So we pulled off and anchored while we rigged the dinghy along starboard to get us to the marina where we unstepping the mast for the run up the canal. We made it there at 6pm doing 5.5 kts on the way, with the port motor still running.

54FB806D-95AC-4CA0-80BD-E1E2F221DA66.jpeg
1E0FC03A-B81F-41D5-8993-1B70564D20A3.jpeg
0BF48805-DCB5-4E0B-9A2E-8248660C779B.jpeg

The Mercury was set just above idle to do this. Not laboring at all. Glad I brought it along.
Note: That is what happens when the hired captain bring bananas on a boat. Lol

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper, thanks for sharing your journey, enjoying following along! Bummer to hear about the motor, but glad to hear ingenuity is in your favor!

In the last photo, it looks like a window is taped over. Is that the case?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not much to show yesterday on the river. We are at Hop O Nose marina in the Catskills. We started the morning off in rain gear, but the cleared an hour later for the rest of the day. The current was against us, so we were only making around 5kts. All was good until Around 3pm, when the starboard 9.9 motor broke a valve or valve spring in the lower cylinder. It sounded like a fouled plug at first, so I changed plugs, saw the lower was wet and tried again, no difference. Fuel was spitting out the intake. Then I could hear the valve. Shut the motor down. Lifted out of water for less drag. We were only at 2.5 kts, too slow. So we pulled off and anchored while we rigged the dinghy along starboard to get us to the marina where we unstepping the mast for the run up the canal. We made it there at 6pm doing 5.5 kts on the way, with the port motor still running.

View attachment 220971
View attachment 220973
View attachment 220972

The Mercury was set just above idle to do this. Not laboring at all. Glad I brought it along.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the starboard engine… glad to see you could make use of the dingy’s power plant and crack on.. way to make it happen! Hopefully the rest of the journey goes smoothly..

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper, thanks for sharing your journey, enjoying following along! Bummer to hear about the motor, but glad to hear ingenuity is in your favor!

In the last photo, it looks like a window is taped over. Is that the case?
Leaks, needs new deadlites and rebedding.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Made it thru lock 1 (Federal lock) tonight and arrived in Waterford at 8:30pm. Docked in front of the welcome center and a 100 yards from the first lock on the Erie Canal. This is where the canal splits, Erie to port and Champlain straight ahead.

92AD45C7-7C15-4100-B2CA-E90B24824D3E.jpeg

Dinghy is working well to keep speed up. We were cruising along at 6.5kts most of today.

992FB90E-7AFB-432A-A1C7-1F53E727C144.jpeg

A few shots from today.

Port of Albany
FFE1A6F5-8E01-41C4-8FF4-B4D29ABD1EF4.jpeg

The Fedetal lock in Troy.
1DBD0E9E-169C-4624-A4CD-3D53E5B60BFC.jpegEB036D9D-F7AD-4A16-B2A6-78A41A46A333.jpeg
D966BC46-A0DE-4871-9BDB-E548F04F9D8A.jpeg

And then on to Waterford
97430D3A-E88F-4E57-9448-E3DB96302796.jpeg621D83FC-5262-4AA7-9F03-6CB7F824D600.jpeg
The canal systems layed out in the brick work.
A good day on the river over all, very little traffic. We were the only boat in the first lock.

We started the day taking the sails off at Hop O Nose marina as well as unstepping the mast. Looked thru their free graveyard of mast supports and scored big time with two perfect supports needing no modifications.

2C241241-49DA-4358-8F94-40C7E963B7AA.jpeg4CB680E2-A517-4688-870A-A439C78DABD1.jpeg

This how they take it down. The captain took this video and shared it with me. You might catch a rare shot of zipper holding and maneuvering the boat under the suspended mast to get it in the right spot.

Two days in the lock system and hope to be back home Monday.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made it thru lock 1 (Federal lock) tonight and arrived in Waterford at 8:30pm. Docked in front of the welcome center and a 100 yards from the first lock on the Erie Canal. This is where the canal splits, Erie to port and Champlain straight ahead.

View attachment 221014

Dinghy is working well to keep speed up. We were cruising along at 6.5kts most of today.

View attachment 221015

A few shots from today.

Port of Albany
View attachment 221017

View attachment 221018View attachment 221020
View attachment 221019

And then on to Waterford
View attachment 221021View attachment 221022
A good day on the river over all, very little traffic. We were the only boat in the first lock.

We started the day taking the sails off at Hop O Nose marina as well as unstepping the mast. Looked thru their free graveyard of mast supports and scored big time with two perfect supports needing no modifications.

View attachment 221024View attachment 221023

This how they take it down. The captain took this video and shared it with me. You might catch a rare shot of zipper holding and maneuvering the boat under the suspended mast to get it in the right spot.

What the heck! Cliffhanger videos?!? When will we find out the answer to the question "how do you like it, from bow to stern?" This is worse than the "Who Shot JR" crap from Dallas!

So, is the mast broken down due to clearances for the rest of the trip (or at least certain parts upcoming)? What's the ticket for unstepping the mast, or is that done with thanks to the kindness of strangers?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What the heck! Cliffhanger videos?!? When will we find out the answer to the question "how do you like it, from bow to stern?" This is worse than the "Who Shot JR" crap from Dallas!

So, is the mast broken down due to clearances for the rest of the trip (or at least certain parts upcoming)? What's the ticket for unstepping the mast, or is that done with thanks to the kindness of strangers?
Yes, our air draft is 47’. There are bridges on the canal where the clearance is 15’. With mast down we draw 14’ due to to post that the radar is mounted on.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

View attachment 221014

View attachment 221015

A few shots from today.

Port of Albany
View attachment 221017

View attachment 221018View attachment 221020
View attachment 221019

And then on to Waterford
View attachment 221021View attachment 221022

View attachment 221024View attachment 221023

Really enjoyed the video of the unstepping of your mast. Bet that crane has stepped and unstepped a lot of masts in its lifetime!

For most monohulls, the deck can get pretty cluttered with the mast on the deck. Certainly not an issue with your cat.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

View attachment 220971
View attachment 220973
View attachment 220972

That was clever to run the dinghy on the starboard side of the cat! One would really need to have faith in their knots to do so. What size outboard is on the dinghy?

Jim

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A 15hp Mercury. I lock the tiller and throttle at desired rpm’s.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Made the run up the Champlain canal yesterday from Waterford to Comstock, lock 11. Locks close at 6pm. We will pass thru lock 12 in Whitehall shortly after lock 11 opens at 8am. Lock 12 is the start of the Lake and about 60+nm to Burlington. We may make Burlington tonight, it is all dependent on conditions on Champlain. Made good time yesterday at 6+kts. Almost locked thru in a day, which is pretty good good for a sailboat. We tied up overnight South of lock 11.

7E806DA3-EE28-44C2-9292-C0C64A4EDEDF.jpeg

We tied up port side in the locks, due to the dinghy rigged on starboard, except for C3 which had a crack in the portside wall. We had to back her in so we could hold her to the starboard wall.
5B7855B8-3B82-4B99-9C33-F47CFC2042EA.jpeg7FE535BF-0437-4DC4-843F-5D03EFCF7ACD.jpeg
E0163756-2259-4864-800D-852147DF4BA7.jpeg
721970D3-542E-436B-B44B-AE0B146B892C.jpeg
Nighttime. I know shitty pic, from shitty phone cam.
AC7F8D93-7A5C-4BB1-AFFF-F0721D056753.jpeg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cleared locks 11 and 12 this morning by 9am and started the run up the lake from Whitehall NY. It was a beautiful day with warm sun and low South winds, ideal conditions for using the dinghy with the 15HP Mercury as the starboard motor. We cruised the nearly 70 nm run to Burlington at a steady 7+kts the whole day and arrived at the marina at 7pm tonight. I know I said it before, but glad I brought the dinghy. It saved the trip from calling Seatow, they won't tow at 7 kts, and I was trying to keep the captain from adding days to his pay.. I must say…I kissed that motor at the end of the trip. Now to rebuild the Yamaha head. Decompressing with a couple of beers now. To finally answer @drewkaree ‘s question, about liking her stem to stern…Yes, solid boat that needs some TLC, well basically a refit of most outdated systems, a good cleaning, and a touch up of her cosmetically. She sails nice and is fast under sail and motors. The captain is smitten by her and how she handled the squall on LI Sound. She is an old cat but I just spent 9 days on the water getting to know her and am pleased with her performance. Is she a pretty boat? Well, not yet but that is fixable.

Locking thru the Champlain canal was easier and cleaner than I thought it would be, we almost made it in a day. Would have if the locks did not close at 6pm and we arrived a day ahead of schedule. Once we hit the Lake it was a comfortable unwind from the confines of the upper Hudson and canal system. I am just blabbering on now so, yes she is a keeper. Not many pics today, I focused on getting home.

Thanks to all that followed the journey. Another check off the bucket list.

PS…The name Grimalkin has grown on me, helped by a Canadian couple unstepping their mast at Hop O Nose, for their run to Montreal. They had a cat on board named Grimalkin. What are the chances of that? She loved the catamarans name and I shared the "Grimalkin poem" with her, in my first post of this journey.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to hear you made it safely, thanks for sharing the experience with us, it was great to follow along,

now back to blue berries !

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have to pay a toll or fee to go through the locks? If so what does it cost?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We head out Friday for Nassau and have now upgraded to a 46' Lagoon since we added 1 more to the crew. So there are 6 of us total, 5 of us scuba dive. Attached is a rough itinerary. After reviewing with the other captain and reading a cruisers forum I think we may have a much more aggressive itinerary than we thought. We'll have to see how it goes as we get going. I've saved all of these routes to Navionics. This is going to be some tough sailing with some of the depths we will be cruising in. I went ahead and bought a DJI mini 4 Pro to not only get some ariel shots of our trip but to also potentially use to check out water and cuts in front of us.

Attachments

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you have to pay a toll or fee to go through the locks? If so what does it cost?
No the Erie and Champlain canal system (NY State Canal system) is free. The first couple of locks they recorded USCG documentation number, overall length and boat name. It was easier and cleaner than we thought. A crew member would lasso a recessed vertical 8" ish diameter pipe or a 1 1/2" cable with a line amidship. I was on bow duty and the captain on stern with boathooks to push off bow and stern. Going up is much more turbulent than going down thru the locks. We also had use of 1" vertical nylon lines to hold position. Most were new and not slimy.

This was the Federal lock in Troy. The first lock we went thru Northbound.. Run by the Army Corp of Engineers.

68FE1B67-1CA1-463D-952E-D9FB49FC4391.jpeg
Yes, need new deadlites and re-bedding.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We head out Friday for Nassau and have now upgraded to a 46' Lagoon since we added 1 more to the crew. So there are 6 of us total, 5 of us scuba dive. Attached is a rough itinerary. After reviewing with the other captain and reading a cruisers forum I think we may have a much more aggressive itinerary than we thought. We'll have to see how it goes as we get going. I've saved all of these routes to Navionics. This is going to be some tough sailing with some of the depths we will be cruising in. I went ahead and bought a DJI mini 4 Pro to not only get some ariel shots of our trip but to also potentially use to check out water and cuts in front of us.
Nice, I am sure you already know, but it sucks to dive hungover. But sidewalk rash from the night before heals well in salt water. Lol, I might have experience on that subject.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice, I am sure you already know, but it sucks to dive hungover. But sidewalk rash from the night before heals well in salt water. Lol, I might have experience on that subject.
32% Nitrox is a great hangover helper. When I surface I keep the reg in my mouth until I'm seated in the boat. I suck on the Nitrox and use every bit of it while surfaced for that extra hit of O2!!!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Out with the old Force10…