• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new fuel tank!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The scarier part is that the gasoline is volatile, so it is evaporating relatively quickly. In order to accumulate a gallon, you need to leak faster than the evaporation rate...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
plus the vapors are heavier than air so they stick around inside the hull

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I will say this much guys, when I opened the engine compartment and noticed even the slightest bit of gas outside of that plug there was no way I was turning the keys. Money well spent for the tow to the trailer! I'm tempted to just get a new tank, order a bigger hatch to replace my tiny hatch and be done with it! Peace of mind, vapor sensor, sea dek, broke muther tucker.....

will keep you all posted.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You stated that you've noticed the leak while the tank is filled to the brim. IMHO I'd say it's more likely to be a leaky seal in a hose, sending unit or fuel pump (since they sit on top of the tank) than a leak in the tank. To date you would be the first cracked tank that I've heard of over the years of reading. That's not to say that it's not possible, just not likely. Hopefully it's a simple fix, keep us posted.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spent the night tossing and turning over it. I agree @itsdgm , and I've looked all over the forums for info about something like this. Even the Yamaha dealer said this would be the first he's heard of a hole/crack in tank. Hoping for an easy fix as well.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can see a hole caused by a tank strap that lost its padding but most likely you are leaking at a hose joint with the poly tank. A few turns of the hose clamp and you'll be back on the water.

-klb-

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The vent line valve is part way up behind the seat back, but it is very thin wall plastic, and anyone chasing a fuel odor is likely to have over tightened it. When I replaced mine, it was very loose, and both hose barbs were very egg shaped, indicating a serious over tightening.

If you are storing full, and having heat swings, you could be having the overflow events that some members report eating the stickers below the vent, but leaking out the vent valve instead.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You might just have a leak in the gasket on top of the tank....fuel pumps or fuel sender....Depending on the angle you left your boat in, and filling it to the brim. I had a heavy fuel smell after filling my boat and I would see fuel on top of the tank through the small hatch for the pumps/sender. I got a screwdriver and tightened all the screws on everything and it never did it again.

Seems like a LOT of fuel for it to be that thought. I hope it's not a major fix.
This is what I discovered on my boat. I would smell gas after fueling up and, if I had anywhere near a full tank, I'd find some gas in my bilge. I was FINALLY able to trace the source. I took it to the gas station to fuel up. I lifted the floor while my son fueled it. As he fueled it up, I could smell fuel. I held my hand over the fuel sending unit and both fuel pumps. I could feel the air rushing out of the top of the port side fuel pump. I have since sealed it and have had no problems whatsoever since.

Couldn't hurt to give this a try. I don't see how you could get a hole in your gas tank under the floor.

I'll try to upload pics later if needed.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update:

Fuel sender has been replaced. Hoses and vents checked. Boat has been jacked up to 45 degree angle and fuel compartment flushed/drained. Going to top off with gas and run it next weekend with two marine mechanics in tow! After our trip we will pull it out and drain everything again. IF there is fuel present then I will take the boat to Yamaha to see what they have to say.

Stainless scupper being changed on Monday, I am a current holder of the wrench!

#imnotgivinguponthisvessel

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I discovered on my boat. I would smell gas after fueling up and, if I had anywhere near a full tank, I'd find some gas in my bilge. I was FINALLY able to trace the source. I took it to the gas station to fuel up. I lifted the floor while my son fueled it. As he fueled it up, I could smell fuel. I held my hand over the fuel sending unit and both fuel pumps. I could feel the air rushing out of the top of the port side fuel pump. I have since sealed it and have had no problems whatsoever since.

Couldn't hurt to give this a try. I don't see how you could get a hole in your gas tank under the floor.

I'll try to upload pics later if needed.
I would appreciate photos if you have them. I will post a couple of what I have too.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's the pics I took.

To add to my story, I had an issue at the beginning of this season after my boat sat all winter (I did winterize it). I thought I may have water in the gas tank or my fuel pumps weren't staying primed or something. So I pulled both of my fuel pumps to check them. I noticed the starboard side fuel pump had a gasket where it is mounted on the top of the gas tank. However, my port side did not have one. I had previously smelled gas on occassions and have found fuel in the bilge (which I would notice after a full tank of gas).

So when I put the port side fuel pump back in place, I used silocone in place of the missing gasket. This went around the opening on top of the gas tank and around the bolts that mount the metal ring and keep the pump in place.

I proceeded with boating season, but then again smelled fuel! That's when I had my son pump gas while I looked around the gas tank with the floor up. I could feel the air and smell the gas coming from the top of the fuel pump.

The area where the air was coming from was where you see I used blue silocone to seal it up. I'm not 100% sure if this is the best way to fix it, however, I have had Zero gas smell or fuel outside the tank since doing this.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

20140823_135434_resized_1.jpg 20140823_135440_resized_1.jpg 20140823_135604_resized_1.jpg 20140823_135817_resized_1.jpg 20140823_140604_resized_1.jpg

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What you see here is the area outside of the fuel compartment plug where gas was seeping out from the fuel compartment. Then you can see the fuel pumps and sender the original owner tried to fix. What he tried to fix is the question? I just had the sender replaced. The malfunctioning sender was shorter than the depth of the tank so we can check rubbing a hole in the tank off the list of possible issues. there is no residue of gas on top of the tank, but this silicone job tells me something was an issue at one point...

fuel 1.JPG fuel 2.JPG fuel 3.JPG

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@MutherTucker It looks like he tried to fix the same thing I did. I too siliconed under the metal mount where the bolts are in the second pic. But I continued to have an issue, as are you, and that's when I found the second area (where I ended up using the blue silicone). That's where my money would be for your issue. I'd check that before I replaced the fuel tank.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MutherTucker It looks like he tried to fix the same thing I did. I too siliconed under the metal mount where the bolts are in the second pic. But I continued to have an issue, as are you, and that's when I found the second area (where I ended up using the blue silicone). That's where my money would be for your issue. I'd check that before I replaced the fuel tank.
thanks so much for all of your advice and photos! I'm sorry you experienced the same thing. It's driving me nuts and makes me super nervous for obvious reasons! Did you ever drain your fuel compartment plug to see how much gas you were losing out of those fuel pumps?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
thanks so much for all of your advice and photos! I'm sorry you experienced the same thing. It's driving me nuts and makes me super nervous for obvious reasons! Did you ever drain your fuel compartment plug to see how much gas you were losing out of those fuel pumps?
No worries at all. I just hope something I've posted does help you.

As far as the drain plug, I pull all my drain plugs after every use, which is very frequent. The first time I confirmed fuel was after pulling all my plugs and I noticed it mixed in with the water coming out of the plug at the back of the boat. I had topped off fuel prior to that days adventure. And I don't believe I pulled the plugs until after I had been washing it off, because I remember a lot of water. But the latest incident with me finding fuel was I lifted my floor up and found it mixed in with water in the compartment around the fuel tank. I flushed it out with water and Simple Green over a dozen times. It was after this time I found where it was coming from and sealed it with the blue silocone. No problems since. No smell and no fuel outside the tank.

I sure hope I answered your question, because I just got on a roll and started typing. If not, fire it back at me and I'll try to clarify.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do remember somebody reporting that the elbow on their return line was defective. It's the 90 degree elbow on the top of the tank (has a red square on it in @ToddW850 's pics). If memory serves me correct, whoever had the issue reported that that elbow was just pressed in there and that theirs would simply pop out given any kind of force. You might want to check that area for leaks as well @MutherTucker

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @itsdgm that actual post you are referring to is listed in @jetboater4life post above. Good memory, haha. But that's the link I had replied to on the other site last year. I had also sent you a PM back then wanting to know if you had experienced the same issue with the fuel smell on your boat, because you and I have the same. Anyway, just FYI.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @itsdgm that actual post you are referring to is listed in @jetboater4life post above. Good memory, haha. But that's the link I had replied to on the other site last year. I had also sent you a PM back then wanting to know if you had experienced the same issue with the fuel smell on your boat, because you and I have the same. Anyway, just FYI.
That's too funny, I was just clicking on your links above and reading all of the posts. Then I realized that you were "that guy" Sorry that I didn't remember that you had pm'd me over there. I think I've spent too much time in the sun since then ;)

Edit. Or was it @jetboater4life who had the vent line pop off the tank? It's getting late, I'm so confused. o_O

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's too funny, I was just clicking on your links above and reading all of the posts. Then I realized that you were "that guy" Sorry that I didn't remember that you had pm'd me over there. I think I've spent too much time in the sun since then ;)

Edit. Or was it @jetboater4life who had the vent line pop off the tank? It's getting late, I'm so confused. o_O
Haha, no worries. I just remeber singling you out to ask because you were always answering people's questions on the posts I was reading and plus you and I have the same boat. But no, it was not me that had the elbow vent pop off, it was "dgolombowski" on the other site. But he too had the fuel smell and that's why I responded to him.