• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new fuel tank!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@itsdgm Nope wasn't me with the vent pop off. During my first winter offseason after I purchased my boat I read just about every boat related thread on the other site. I remembered a few posts about fuel leaks and thought I would bring them to light considering the related topic.

Cheers!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman, what needs to be done here? Could the hole cut in the floor be rebuilt as hatch?

Or I guess if you feel comfortable that you will never need in there again you could cut the hole in the floor, replace the tank, epoxy the floor back in place then install Sea-Dek or Hydro-Teak over it. The new flooring might be cheaper than repairing the gelcoat.
Sorry, just saw this......yes, you could do that if you wanted to, but I'd probably open it, replace the tank (providing it does need to be replaced) and seal it back up. What are the odds of that happening again? And I personally feel that the structural integrity would be compromised otherwise.

A nice clean cut would make for a fairly easy repair that should be unnoticeable. :cool:

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should have around half an inch clearance from the bottom of the fuel sender to the bottom of the tank, Your fuel sender should measure just a fraction under 12 inches so drop a metal tape measure in the tank and see what the difference is it should be about half an inch, At least you will know if this is causing a problem, I would try every possible option before i started cutting away at the deck, Good Luck.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok guys, here's an update. Fuel sender has been replaced, (stainless steel scupper installed as well.) Brought the boat home from my "guy" after he topped off the tank with gas. My next step was to bring it to Yamaha for a second check to make sure valves and pumps were ok and see what they could tell me.

The Muther Tucker has been sitting outside with the cover on since Friday, the plug to the fuel compartment open, drain plugs in floor of engine compartment open, but main drain plug under the scupper was closed up......

Last night we had a big rain with wind. My rear tent pole slid down and there was pooling in my cover. So tonight while scooping out the water to relieve the weight on the cover and replace my pole (more rain coming tonight) I could smell gas without the cover even being off.

Frantic, I pulled the cover....raised the bimini.....flung open the engine compartment and BAM....water up to the lip of the 3 drainage areas just a hair from touching my engines with gas floating on top, also water/gas blend backed up into my center storage compartment. Profanities fly.....I may have cried a little, I'm a girl, this is my first boat, no husband help.....he's still mad at me for buying one.

I quickly pulled the plug down under. Tons of water, I mean, I sat there for at least 5 minutes or more while that boat peed water before it hit gas, I scrambled for something in the garage to catch it. Beer cooler...ok...wish there was beer in it instead....caught about a gallon of gas. Thanks Muther Tucker, I didn't really want gas coming from there.....but there it was. After it was finished peeing gas, I plugged it back up down under, also closed the plug to the fuel compartment as I realized I was late to chauffeur my kids somewhere.

So, I went to jump in my truck and BAM another blow. In the curb I noticed OIL in the water. WTF? My boat is peeing gas, water, and oil!

I have 3 questions. 1. what is leaking fuel? 2. why would there be oil leaking too? 3. why is there so much water in my hull when i haven't even been on the water since i drained it last, wouldn't any water that may have leaked into my boat from the cover have gone out the scupper?

Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's terrible. Sorry to hear about all of your issues @MutherTucker.

Heres what I would do, look under the access lid on the top of the tank and try to find any signs of a leak (including the fill line, fuel pumps and sending unit).

As far as the oil? Not sure about that one, but gas and water filling the bilge will "clean" most everything in there when drained.

As far as The water in the bilge? This is 100% of the reason why I pull all drain plugs while the boat is on land. It's not unheard of for boat owners to open up the engine compartment in spring and find their engines deep under water and ruined after being submerged all winter long. Rain water has many routes into the bilge. Floor storage compartments, water that finds its way behind/under seats, etc. but only one way out of the bilge, the drain plug in the back. So a good habit is to leave the drain plug out while on land.

Hopefully you'll get this fuel leak issue figured out soon. So check the top of the tank and get back to us. Also, keep an eye on the leak over time and see what level the leak stops at, that'll let you know where it is on the tank too.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ps. I had a car years ago that had a leaky fuel tank. It turned out to be caused by a bolt that found its way in between the side of the tank and a wall of the trunk (where the tank was located). Over time the bolt had lodged itself to the point where it punctured the side of the tank. I was able to feel the bolt down there and the fuel leaking out with my fingers. So, not sure if this would be a possible cause in your situation, but inspect down the sides of your tank if possible.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @itsdgm for your reply. Since I have a 2004 the fuel hatch is itty bitty. I have felt everywhere for some sign of fuel residue. The weird thing is, I get a surge of leakage right after the tank is filled up so I feel like the leak is coming from the upper part of the tank. My oil when changed this season was filled by the marina and they over filled it. I made them extract oil until it was under the full line. that could be left over from those ding dongs. I'm afraid to do a lot of this stuff myself because I don't want to screw anything up, but it appears that whoever touches this boat can't do any better than me....and certainly, no one loves this thing like I do. Ugh! Will keep you updated.

I will also keep the main plug out! Good advice!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MutherTucker the fact that it only leaks when topped off is a sign that it's near the top of the tank. I'd imagine that you would still have access to all of those essential connections (fuel filler, vapor return line, fuel pumps and fuel gauge/sending unit) through that small access window. But I haven't seen one in person. Hang in there. I'm crossing g my fingers that it'll be an easy fix once you find it.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@MutherTucker the fact that it only leaks when topped off is a sign that it's near the top of the tank. I'd imagine that you would still have access to all of those essential connections (fuel filler, vapor return line, fuel pumps and fuel gauge/sending unit) through that small access window. But I haven't seen one in person. Hang in there. I'm crossing g my fingers that it'll be an easy fix once you find it.
True that.....When the leak occurred did it have FULL tank? Check it at half or lower levels.....maybe the leak is at the filler neck hose going into the tank?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So the engines cant come out and then the wall between engine compartment and tank? I would rather cut that wall amd reinstall if possible.

omg....Im glad I didnt have this with my 06. I was wondering why such a large hatch when I got new boat....guess thats why....smh

-klb-

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the tank is strapped down, so taking that wall out doesn't do any good. And the engine cradle is in the way, and the engine compartment is not as long as the fuel tank.

It still sounds like something at the top of the tank, or still possibly the vent line valve.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Based on your findings thus far, I am willing to bet the leak is not the tank itself. I would focus on the fill neck.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Based on your findings thus far, I am willing to bet the leak is not the tank itself. I would focus on the fill neck.
Agree....I would x2 filler neck or something elses on top if leaks when full or running....if tank half full and not leaking....moast likely suspect.....if half or less....tank is my guess.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like you sunk the boat on the trailer. I did this several times with my old boat from leaving the drain plug in and letting debris accumulate in the bilge. When the drain plug is in the bilge should be on and when the bilge is off the drain plug should be out. Boats are designed to keep water from passing through the hull although they really do not care what side it is on. :)

If it was my boat I would siphon all of the gas out of the tank and ventilate it well since the vapors are the most dangerous. Then I would take apart every fitting that attaches to the tank and inspect it before resealing and reinstalling it. There is some picky stuff on the fuel tanks like how the screws on the fuel pumps have to be installed in a certain way to prevent leaks. The thought crossed my mind to try pressurizing the tank with air to see if anything whistles but that mimics the compression stroke in an engine so no good can come of that.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sorry to hear, unfortunately I don't have much insight here....my boat has a cover that I can get off to get directly to the tank....I can tell you that I have replaced a couple of clamps due to rusting, that may be something to make sure and take a look at, especially since it appears to only be happening when the tank is full

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
btw, that's a helluva nice looking boat for her age!!! what tower speakers are you using?

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm listening to all of your good advice. I have the main plug out, but put the fuel compartment plug back in! Currently, the tank is still full. I can see the gas hitting the top of the tank. I wonder if the problem has to do with my overflow? When I fill the tank, it's usually a lot of gas that escapes, like a gallon or 2! Then it sits in the fuel compartment and starts to seep out of the compartment into the bilge area (through the caulking.) I refuse to run the boat until this is rectified. I'm taking it to Yamaha on Wednesday. We will see what they can find. I just want to get it fixed so I can clean it all out, wax, and winterize. The cold weather is coming quick. BRRRR!

@woodard1983 I have 8 Rockford Fosgate tower speakers and 8 Fosgates inside the boat.....2 Alpine subs....5 batteries...it's one area of the boat that works just fine!

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You said Yamaha is looking at it soon, are you taking it to a dealer? Which one?

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You said Yamaha is looking at it soon, are you taking it to a dealer? Which one?
Lake Springfield Marina, Springfield IL.