• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new fuel tank!

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The leak was happening prior to changing the fuel sender. The fuel sender wasn't functioning when I bought the boat so it was on my checklist to fix. When I took the boat to my mechanic, he changed the sender and checked to make sure the old sender wasn't rubbing the bottom. He said he pressure tested the fuel tank (albeit didn't isolate the filler and vent hoses) so I'm not sure how there is accuracy in that test.

He did jack up the boat to a 45 degree angle to drain any remaining gas from the fuel compartment and flush out the area with water, but I don't think he checked for leaks while the boat was jacked up.

After replacing the fuel sender and scupper, he topped it off with gas and I picked it up. I drove it back home (about 40 miles) let it sit for about a week. It was after a week when I ran into the discovery that he had left the drain plug in and I drained out massive amounts of water and about a gallon of gas. My guess is, when he flushed the fuel compartment out, he hadn't had the main drain plug pulled. So, I don't know if the gas I drained was old, or new since he last flushed out the compartment.

It's going to Yamaha! I will post the diagnosis once I have one.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I need to add handprints to the masterpiece.....just sayin

Is this the correct thread....im confused.....lmao

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My sending unit in longer than your sending unit.......

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So what's the deal here? The dealer find your leakage?

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer near me has a couple of bad reviews on yelp and I have a bad feeling in my gut about taking it there. I have it in the garage/shop of some boating friends of mine and we are going to work on it together. I'm excited about having a hand in it. With the help of my jetboaters.net peeps and these guys, I am more confident we will find the problem. The only issue is, we all work a lot! We plan to get in there this week and do another pressure test and check all hoses, fuel pumps and sender. If the fuel is still blowing out and it's not from those areas, I'm replacing the tank. If it comes to that, I will look to my fiberglass guy and you folks for the best "fuel tank hatch mod" there is. Gotta stay positive.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hope that you are able to find and repair the leak without cutting.

If you do end up cutting out the tank, I would create a frame with treated lumber to reinstall the cut out section then I would install a hydro teak or seadek cockpit kit over the top.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
^^^ X2! Curious to see if it is what I believe or not.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have checked all possible areas for a leak up top, fuel pumps, sender, filler hose, and vent. I'm afraid this tank has a compromise. We are going to cut her open and replace the tank. will take photos and post. I'm going to do one of two things, repair the fiberglass or order a hatch from a 2007 model and replace the cut area with that. After that, I'm going to put some bad ass sea dek on it and wait for spring..........i'm so over this! I've decided to use my "guy" to do the work. I know him, I trust him, plus my husband is doing all of the marketing/website/SEO for his business so it's an "I scratch yours and you scratch mine" deal. Will post photos and plan to contact coast guard and yamaha.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well dang. I would have bet money on the leak up top. But good luck on the repair. Just know you've got a good boat on your hands and will be worth it come spring.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know, I know. Trust me, we've checked all of those areas. The boat will just leak fuel while sitting on the trailer...I want to get it fixed now so I don't have to deal with it in the spring. Did I mention it's freezing here tonight? BBRRRRR

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome @Seadeals thanks for the link! I could use all the savings I can get, this is gonna cost me!

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Seadeals looks like that assembly is for a 2006 model, but I'm not seeing a difference in the tanks. Does this matter?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2003-2006 are all the same. You might want to contact a reputable dealer to ask them how to cut out the floor to replace the tank. @Williamsone46 might be able to get you an answer, or call Nielsens in Round Lake (I used to take my boat there) and there is a good place in St. Charles @oo7 and @OperationROL both know the name and contact info. No sense in guessing where the edge is if they can tell you! And please do take pics!

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahhhh yes, I will contact those dealers to discuss. Thank you. The dealer nearest me is....well....not cooperative when asked questions. I was talking with my "guy" and we decided to order the tank so he can measure it and be sure of the size of cut. I mean, what better to do when it's -4 degrees outside then cut a big ol' hole in your boat. Will post photos. Keep me posted on any sea dek deals guys, I'm gonna need it!