• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need (want?) a new pick up to tow

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat weighs 4K pounds and I have to feather the gas peddle to keep from lighting up the rear tires when taking off at a stop light.
Sounds like it would be fun on a wet ramp.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Two years a go I went from a 02 Tahoe with 3.73 gears to a 17 GMC SLT with the heavy half-ton setup. Night and day. Unbelievable the gap between "capable of" and "engineered for". Pulled the boat from UT to PA this past summer. Very comfortable drive. Love it and will NEVER go back as long as I have toys to tow. Like a poster said earlier, its tough to go wrong with a full size PU.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.....17 GMC SLT with the heavy half-ton setup........
Whats a heavy half ton setup? I've heard of this in the past, but never really dug into what it was. I assume you got the Max Tow Package and the 6.2L? Any other options in there that make this a "heavy half ton"?

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry about that. Yes, correct. Max tow package. I picked up the heavy-half term from the country boys back in UT. I really wanted the 3.42 gears, mirrors and extra cooling. I liked the performance of the 6.2L getting up and down the mountains back west and the fuel ecomony back west was awesome! Now that I am at sea level...😳

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry about that. Yes, correct. Max tow package. I picked up the heavy-half term from the country boys back in UT. I really wanted the 3.42 gears, mirrors and extra cooling. I liked the performance of the 6.2L getting up and down the mountains back west and the fuel ecomony back west was awesome! Now that I am at sea level...😳
Gotcha. I think that "heavy half ton" might have been an option package back in the 70's. I'm going to have to research some now.

I wish I would have held out for the 6.2L. I was concerned over fuel mileage, and they were SUPER hard to find, so I got everything else I wanted (3.42's, Z71, Sunroof, etc) and went with the 5.3L. I'm not upset with the decision, but with the 6.2L getting similar economy numbers to my 5.3 I would've rather had the extra oomph......mostly for driving too fast, the 5.3/3.42 combo tows just fine.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gotcha. I think that "heavy half ton" might have been an option package back in the 70's. I'm going to have to research some now.

I wish I would have held out for the 6.2L. I was concerned over fuel mileage, and they were SUPER hard to find, so I got everything else I wanted (3.42's, Z71, Sunroof, etc) and went with the 5.3L. I'm not upset with the decision, but with the 6.2L getting similar economy numbers to my 5.3 I would've rather had the extra oomph......mostly for driving too fast, the 5.3/3.42 combo tows just fine.
The 6.2L is a great motor and pulls the boat well. 11.5:1 compression make it fun but requires higher octane. The truck has some identity issues. One part PU and one part sports car. It wasn't my first choice but it was on the lot and GM was running one their specials in February, so I was able to deal. I would have been just as happy with your setup as I went to the dealer looking for a setup like yours. The 5.3 is a great light duty motor. Matter of fact, I also test drove a really nice F-150. Their boosted motors at altitude was a consideration.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone own or have feedback on the new Ram 1500 hemi with the VVT e-torque generator deal? I've seen them at the auto show and dealers around here have a bunch of them. Haven't had the chance to test drive one yet but was looking for feedback despite it being a pretty new model.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I havent heard anything good about the hybrid trucks. Probably better to just o regular gas.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any updates @OCMD ? I jumped the shark, was looking for a 1/2 ton Silverado high country. I went to wrong dealer location to see and got upsold to a 2500hd duramax diesel.

We ran the truck from Columbus today to Richmond, VA for spring break and have zero regrets. Big truck did great on the highway and we could have rolled thru straight to VA beach.

You may want to consider used Duramax, it’s a robust platform.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like it would be fun on a wet ramp.

It’s not too bad. You just take your foot off the brake. Haha. Tires really do matter though. When I had stock street pirellis and it was tough a couple times on a slick and a steep ramp. The tread on KO2s and Cooper ATPs have served me well though with no problems at all.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Does anyone own or have feedback on the new Ram 1500 hemi with the VVT e-torque generator deal? I've seen them at the auto show and dealers around here have a bunch of them. Haven't had the chance to test drive one yet but was looking for feedback despite it being a pretty new model.
Check out the 5thgenrams . Com forum. The trucks seem to be taking 5-7k before breaking in and getting good gas mileage. I have regular 5.7 but love my 19 overall.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
About to pull trigger on a 2019 Ram Big Horn. Hemi, 4wd, quad cab, no leather or sunroof. OUT THE DOOR PRICE is 35,534.12. I have been told to jump all over this. Deal held until tomorrow. Pull the trigger?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do it!

FYI, I have a friend that is driving to pickup an ‘06 sx210 tomorrow, serviced by Eric at bayside. Do you know the boat?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it the right color? If you are excited, go for it.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NO I havent been out on mine but 6 times in last year so didnt even stop in to say hi