• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need (want?) a new pick up to tow

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@adrianp89 Wish Good Ole Florida would have prices like that. Best deal I've seen (and I check weekly near me) is about 7k off. I need a decent discount to eat up the diff in what I owe and what my one year old to me F150 is worth :mad:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@adrianp89 Wish Good Ole Florida would have prices like that. Best deal I've seen (and I check weekly near me) is about 7k off. I need a decent discount to eat up the diff in what I owe and what my one year old to me F150 is worth :mad:
Not sure where you are located but it shouldn't be a problem to find that. I got over 10k off my 2019. That is a brand new body style.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Related/unrelated question... anyone ever brought a trailer/boat to a dealership to test drive a truck with the load? Would a dealer even allow it?

Mark

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Related/unrelated question... anyone ever brought a trailer/boat to a dealership to test drive a truck with the load? Would a dealer even allow it?

Mark
I did that with a truck purchase once.....well sorta....was debating on a new Honda Pilot at one point. Dealer drove with me to the house, hitched up the boat and pulled it back to the dealership as part of the test drive. Asked me to park out front on the main street frontage as well for advertising. It wasn't a brand new Pilot, but a "demo" unit with about 2k miles on it. I was upfront about why I was buying, when I was buying, and what the criteria was to make the sale. Salesman was very willing to work with me, and earned my business because of it. Went back to buy another vehicle from him later and he had moved on to another career.

Ended up passing on the Pilot, bought a gently used GMC Yukon instead from the same dealer.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4.0 Double cab. Thing was decent on power and stout but I didn't care for the transmission hunting for the right gear when taking the boat upstate or down to the shore. I replaced the Taco with a 2018 F150 w/ the 2..7 Ecoboost engine. I was a bit skeptical of it but the 10 speed trans is very smooth and now I have a truck commanding the trailer and not the other way around. Not sure how I would feel with the taco pulling 5500 pounds (it was rated for 6400 pounds.)
The cab space the f150 super crew has is also very nice!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow so much to choose from. Here is where I am (and I appreciate the input past and future). You guys are the go to guys. I sold my convertible quickly. LOL pays to take care of your sh*t and document the care!

I am going to have my 2002 Silverado MD inspected and sell it locally. With 80,000 miles and 4wd, it should fetch about 4-5K around here. Some illegal will love it as a work truck. The heck with getting f'd on a trade. I'll sell it or keep it. I will probably pick up a $2-3000 beater car for driving/parking around the DMV for work, etc as I really don't look forward to having to drive a pick up around town for every day excursions.

My buddy says get a Tundra. The one positive is it is a Toyota, which is like a Honda meaning maintenance free for years. Not happy with the gas mileage however. Fords seem to have alot of engine choices which scares me as to "which one to buy?" And I have always been averse to Fords having had several cop cars which were Fords and pieces of crap after 10,000 hard miles. Cabins seemed to be cheaply put together, and there was always an issue mechanically. But the F-150s seem to have good reviews and as the commercial says "are the standard." I have had 2 Silverados with no issues but the rust. The prices on the Ram's seem to be the best but I have never had a Dodge. Then I read other posts about how many of you have to "tune" your trucks "Big Bear tuning or something like this" and I am like WTF? I just want to turn the key and go, and change the oil every 5000 miles. Tuning? It should just run! Just more confusion.

Do I go used (I am guessing it should be "certified") or new? I have always been fond of used and let someone else take the hit. However, with the Pilot I just bought, why would I buy a 2 year old one when a brand new one might only be a couple grand more than a used one? Is it the same with a truck? Finally, and perhaps most important, I keep reading about rear end size. I never thought about that, but is there a certain spec on the rear end I must have to tow my SX230?

ANY AND ALL INPUT APPRECIATED! ON ANY PURCHASE IDEAS. I HAVE PLENTY OF TIME, AND FIGURE BUY IT ARUND XMAS FOR BEST DEAL, LOL. Although I do have a real good connection locally at a huge dealership. Ifigure get my make and model and then go to my connection "This is what I want. How much?" And I will get a great price for sure. Hell I got my new 2018 Pilot for 25k.

THANKS

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
With the prices of used trucks - and discounts on new - new is the way to go IMO.

The higher gear end ratio = more towing. Any 1/2 ton combo will tow your boat no problem though.

Tuning isn't necessary - just gives you better throttle response/more hp/ better gas mileage. Most people don't tune but its common on forums. Never heard of Big Bear tuning. I wouldn't even worry about this at all.

On my old Ram I change oil every 10k and it's still fine. Haven't changed on my new one yet.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't have to tune the trucks. You'll just like them more. I still haven't tuned mine, might not. GM transmission shift patterns are stupid, but I've learned to live with it mostly, and it's not the end of the world if it shifts wonky every now and then. It's Black bear Tuning BTW :D. They're a GM only outfit that does custom tunes. If you get another brand you'll have a different tuner that specializes in your brand, and has the reputation of being the "go to" person for a tune........Again, you don't have to tune anything, you can just the key (or push the button in some trucks) and motor away and be just fine.

I've had my Sierra for a year now. Put just under 25k miles on it in that time as well. It's been rock solid for me, and tows the boat like it's not there (my 190 is light though). I've been a GM guy for years (this is my 3rd GMC, and 9th GM). I like the look and feel of the Sierra over the rest, and since I spend so much time in the truck, I got the one I liked the best. Best color/wheels/interior package for me. Appearance and comfort are important, but second to capability. The truck has proved itself fully loaded in the summer heat a few times this summer. Made every penny I've paid worth it when I could sit in traffic in 110deg heat index with the A/C going and the little ones sleeping in the back seat. It's a really looker too when it's all cleaned up. I love it.

Keep in mind not all fullsize trucks are rated to tow your boat with your family in it. You can get a 4wd/4dr Sierra with an absurdly low 5,200lb tow rating. That's with one person in the truck, and no gear. Teetering or going over the limit with a full compliment of people/coolers/fuel/gear. You can also get a 4wd/4dr Sierra rated to tow 9,200lbs, plenty of capacity to spare in that scenario. Those two trucks have the same transmission and engine, and will appear the same on the outside, but are optioned differently. Check the ratings on the truck before you buy it. I had to go out of my way to find a Sierra with the 3.42 rear end ratio and Max Tow Package to get the 9,200lb rating I wanted. Found many locally with the lower rear gears and without the Max Tow Package. Those still had a hitch under the bed, and a 4wd switch on the dash, and 4 doors to open. Looked identical to the one I bought. I suspect the other brands are the same way. Check those option packages and verify everything to make sure you get the capability you want. Don't trust the sales person either, double check and verify for yourself to be certain.

It's exceedingly difficult to find a "bad" truck anymore. Ram, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Toyota, Nissan all make excellent full-size pickups. Sure every brand has some lemons get through the QC process. Some less than others. These companies are selling MILLIONS of fullsize pickups each year, and if even 1% of those get through with an issue that's 10k trucks with a problem...........My suggestion is to go test drive them all, and buy the one you like the best. Buy the one that fits your needs, has the doo-dads you want, makes you want to turn around and look at it when you walk away, and makes you want to brag to your buddies about it......Smiles per dollar is the number to look out for IMO. You're spending a bunch of dollars, better get a bunch of smiles for that cash!

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
As has been mentioned, there isn’t a need to tune, just a desire by some....

The big thing, with GM anyway, is the 1500s are factory tuned to get the best fuel mileage. This usually means the trans is trying to shift as quick as possibly unit the higher gears, and they also have the multi displacement where it’s turns into a 4cyl when in the right conditions.

I’m not sure what the best gearing is if the truck had an 8spd trans, but if it’s a 5.3/6spd trans you will want the 3.42s, which should be good for a little over 9k lbs tow rating. Last I knew the max tow package gave you the 3.73s, and a higher tow rating than the 3.42s. But this may have changed if it has the 8spd trans...

I would suggest to go drive them all, and see which one or two you like the best: exterior, interior layout, seat comfort, etc... Then go from there!!!

If I was shopping, it would be a GM Twin (Chevy or GMC) or a Ram. I’m not a ford fan either... Yes, they may be nice trucks, but the door chime drives me nuts!!! Lol That’s reason enough for me not to buy one!!!

Just make sure the truck that is at the top of the list has the required tow package.

Good luck in your quest!!!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What "numbers" should I be looking for in a tow package? I guess what you guys are saying is just because it has a spot to stick a hitch, doesn't mean it's going to do the job? Knowing the numbers will help narrow down my search parameters. Thanks for the info.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What "numbers" should I be looking for in a tow package? I guess what you guys are saying is just because it has a spot to stick a hitch, doesn't mean it's going to do the job? Knowing the numbers will help narrow down my search parameters. Thanks for the info.
That's exactly what we're saying. Hard to find a full size pickup without a hitch. Really easy to find one with a lower than expected tow rating.

Here is a good site. Although I'm unsure how up to date they are on the latest and greatest trucks. http://trailers.com/tow-capacity/

Here is a really good explanation of the different terms: https://rv.campingworld.com/towguide#gvw

This calculator is pretty awesome as well. Just have to get the different numbers from the manufacturer. https://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

For my Sierra 1500 short wheelbase crew cab short box; the tow ratings range from 5,600 to 11,900 depending on engine/transmission/rear gear/package options. They all look exactly the same on the outside.

Determining the tow rating is not difficult, but comparing it to other trucks can get confusing quick.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I feel you might be over thinking this.

I can't imagine there is any v8 1500 that couldn't tow your boat with ease. If it exists I would stay away from the brand all together IMO.

To simplify it: Longer wheel base, more power, and higher number gear ratio are the three main factors, but again any newer 1500 V8 should have no issues towing 5-6k. Trim levels typically have nothing to do with tow capacity, only payload.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel you might be over thinking this.

I can't imagine there is any v8 1500 that couldn't tow your boat with ease. If it exists I would stay away from the brand all together IMO.

To simplify it: Longer wheel base, more power, and higher number gear ratio are the three main factors, but again any newer 1500 V8 should have no issues towing 5-6k. Trim levels typically have nothing to do with tow capacity, only payload.
You should avoid most brands then.

From the link I posted above.....4wd, 4dr, short box, 1500 class, 2015 model year.
Ram - 4,190 to 10,150 (V8's start at 8,000)
GMC/Chevy - 5,600 to 11,900 (V8's start at 6,200)
Ford - 7,100 to 11,500 (V8's start at 9,000, Turbo V-6 starts at 7,600)
Toyota - 6,300 to 9.800 (V8's start at 6,300)
Nissan - 9,200lb (These are listed really wonky and separately, Don't want to dig through them all)

Towed weight of a 242x is 5,700lbs
3 "average" people in the cab is (3*178) is 534lbs (tow capacity assumes 150lb driver I think)
Misc Gear and doo-dads is 300lbs (Coolers, Ice, Beach Bags, spare cover, etc)

Total weight beyond curb weight is 6,500lbs......300lbs over the lightest rated GM, and 200lbs over the lightest rated Toyota. I would want a 10% margin myself so a 7,150 rating would be where I would shoot as a minimum for the heaviest Yamaha.

It's pretty clear that getting just "any V8 fullsize" can lead to weights over the limit without much effort. It's worth the time and energy to make sure you get one with the right setup for what you intend to pull. Yamaha boats do have the benefit of being significantly lighter than others. Some of the 24ft wake boats are sneaking up on 7,500lbs towed weight. Those in a 1500 class definitely require the right setup. Also, 7,150 happens to correspond with 500lbs tongue weight (assuming a properly setup 7% of tongue weight). This probably puts you into a Class 4 hitch rating to handle both the tongue weight and the non-distributed weight of a boat trailer.

Wasn't intending to go into that level of detail, kinda got away from me. Also, my thought here is education. I was in the camp of "any 1500 will be fine" as well until I started to really look at the numbers involved.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
He has a 230... fully loaded maybe 5k. Any modern 1500 with v8 will tow it fine. Your numbers back that up. They also show that Chevy really has some issues with tow capacity.... wouldn’t buy one anyways lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He has a 230... fully loaded maybe 5k. Any modern 1500 with v8 will tow it fine. Your numbers back that up. They also show that Chevy really has some issues with tow capacity.... wouldn’t buy one anyways lol
Agreed. The 230 will be a bit lighter than a 242x, still don't think I would want the lower ratings on a few of those. Even with the V8. I might be a bit over cautious though as my wife Traverse has a 5,200lb rating and isn't worth a crap towing our little AR190, so I upgraded to something with a 9,200lb rating for a little less stress at the current level and some future proofing for the next boat........just like insurance, easier to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Not sure how GM has issues with capacity. I see the largest range available, including the highest number overall. What issues do you see?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you trailer a lot - unless you live in the land of wide, multi-lane, nicely maintained ramps for water access (which I don't, lol) - I would consider good traction control to be paramount in a tow vehicle.

I hate seeing many guys around here - with some really stupid raised trucks - struggling on even slightly slippery or muddy ramps... WTF.

--

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
While your biatbisnt the heaviest, gettingnthe best gearing for towing will make heavier towing later a better possibility.

With the newer 8 or 10 speed trans, it allows the axle gearing to be numerically lower than the old 3 or 4 spd trans. So keep the trans in mind when looking for the axle gearing: 4.10>3.92>3.73>3.42>3.23>3.08... these numbers will vary some depending on the manufacture. But gives you an idea.

For a comparison, the old GM 5.4/4spd/4.10 combo doesn’t tow as good as the 5.3/6spd/3.42 combo, because the extra trans gears allow the motor to stay more in the power band. I’m not that familiar with the gearing firnthe 8 or 10spd trans, but imagine a 5.3/8spd/3.23 or maybe even the 3.08 would be better than the 6spd combo, but don’t have any experience driving an 8spd truck...

Make sure it has the tow package, including the heavy duty cooling.

Good luck!!!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FWIW, my 2010 Colorado (yes, its a MIDSIZE) with the 5.3 towed my sx230 just fine. It pulled it like it wasnt even back there. Stopping it and seeing around it on the other hand didnt go great. But its a 4000ish pound truck without towing mirrors, so all in all it did great.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can get a work truck version of most pickups for a good price. Ask your dealer about them. They have rubber mats and roll up windows and such. The next couple of days is a great time to buy something that is on the lot and not moving. Just do not buy the same day and let them call you with the best deal. I think test drive all brands and just ask about the tow rating on the one you like. About 35k for a new truck can be had. Then wash the underneath and use salt away after any salt and it will last for a long time, you don't put many miles on. You could also put Cosmoline on it to prevent rust. With 80k on your truck you can put new brake lines on it and 3 grand of other work and put Cosmoline on that and go for 5 years with minimal investment. I had an old Chevy 3500 that I sent to the body shop for 5k and it looked great for 4 years, a new one was 65K.