• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need (want?) a new pick up to tow

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u im the same, if it dont have a sunroof I prob wont buy it...something about looking up and seeing the blue sky or stars makes it appealing. It also helps with ventilation and similarly Ive never had one that leaked and ive been through dozens of vehicles.

I got my mom a lexus NX F sport, has all the bells and whistles, but she wont open the sunroof...bc she thinks it will leak,lol

Im in the market for a new truck myself, the lease on my 2016 Denali Ultimate is coming due and Im very tempted to jump to Ram...a similar 2019 Denali is gonna costs much more than I got the 2016 for bc of the lease residuals/incentives. Fwiw i had the 5.3 and it did fine, so the Hemi would be a beast fasho!

I have no idea what I wanna do....the wife is tired of her Lexus GS F sport, says its to low so contemplating a SUV for her that we can tow with.
I'm rocking a '15 Sierra SLT Plus (the Z71 version of the Denali essentially) with the 5.3 and it's a fine truck. Easily the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. The heated/cooled seats, and the heated steering wheel are awesome. Same with the giant sunroof. With just the sunroof and rear glass open there is SOOOO much airflow through the cab. Nothing better than the summer time with all 5 windows and the roof open cruising to the lake!

The 5.7 is definitely a stronger motor than the 5.3, but I don't think the 5.7 can compete with GM's 6.2. I honestly think you have to really work at it to find a bad fullsize pickup anymore. They're all going to have little oddities here or there, but overall they're all great trucks. Pick the one that you like to look at and sit in the best and let 'er rip.

If you can convince the wife to get into a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or Durango (Citadel or R/T for the Hemi) you should be good to go towing the boat, and you get the Hemi fun while you're at it. GM doesn't have a good towing SUV aside from the Yukon/Tahoe lineup. The Lambda platform just isn't great for towing about about 4k lbs IMO, so the Traverse/Acadia are out. Lots of folks like the way Audi's tow, but I have no experience with them first hand towing.

The wife and I both have "new" vehicles, and I somewhat regret the position we're in there. I bought the truck thinking that I would just drive the Tow Vehicle all the time, her vehicle wasn't great at towing, and I didn't want to "bootstrap" her into a tow vehicle. Situation changed rapidly about 9mo ago. I now drive 36mi one way (up from 7miles) to work, and her car suffered a near catastrohpic engine problem. We traded hers away for a small SUV (Nissan Rogue) that she likes, and I'm driving a poor mileage vehicle heavily during a commute now. Hindsight being 20/20, I think I would have put her in a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Durango R/T and got myself a smaller commuter car. We both love our vehicles, but if she would have gotten something the next click larger to tow the boat, and I didn't have to drive the truck daily we would probably be money ahead on fuel usage. At this point we're in what we're in, and intend to stick it out for the long haul, just poor timing on these purchases really. I think I would've been happy with a B7 A4 Wagon that was paid for with some mod money on the side, and she probably would've been fine with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Probably could've saved us some monthly cashola there. Again, kinda is what it is at this point. Trading away for fuel savings rarely pays for itself in the short term.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We like the Jeep, but this is my first pickup and Im hooked, love the bigness (not a word) and people are willing to let me over when I signal,lol

Maybe will go check them out to see about size.

Prob gonna end up extending my lease a few months to give me some time to fix it out, not sure.

The new Ram is badass...need to go do some test driving....Boat show is this weekend, they usually have trucks and Suvs there for display....last year had the new Navigator which is sick!!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay I know nothing about sunroofs I am sold if I go used and it has one!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We like the Jeep, but this is my first pickup and Im hooked, love the bigness (not a word) and people are willing to let me over when I signal,lol
I've had a couple fullsize SUV's, but never a fullsize pickup truck. I totally get why they sell so well. This thing is seriously a swiss army knife of a vehicle with all the comfort and convenience of a luxury sedan.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Good call lol. I am team sunroof 100%.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have no idea what I wanna do....the wife is tired of her Lexus GS F sport, says its to low so contemplating a SUV for her that we can tow with.
Sounds like you need a Grand Cherokee SRT! lol

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sounds like you need a Grand Cherokee SRT! lol
At GS F sport price range, he could go Trackhawk. Prob does 0-60 with the boat attached quicker than the F sport by its self lol.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the Jeep SRT...but think it could be a lil tight on the space inside vs the Denali.

Gonna go look in next couple weeks...that Ram is still up there.

Since I prefer to lease this truck the residual and money factors play a big role in the final price, well see what they come back with.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the Jeep SRT...but think it could be a lil tight on the space inside vs the Denali.

Gonna go look in next couple weeks...that Ram is still up there.

Since I prefer to lease this truck the residual and money factors play a big role in the final price, well see what they come back with.
Check out a Durango SRT while you're shopping. Same chassis/engine setup as the jeep, but with more wheelbase and a 3rd row!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
71644D9E-BCDD-40D6-B405-555434E23EC3.jpeg 6012221A-CE6E-42CC-B4D5-59430E5AE256.jpeg
The coolest part about having a sunroof is adding the Stars & Stripes sticker kit to it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After being burned by jeep so many times, I gave them up for good.

Please share your highly reliable jeep stories if you have them. From wagoneer in 80s and 90s to our own Grand Cherokee in 2000s, they have been nothing but trouble to me and most everyone I know with one. Yearly repairs at least. I'm glad there are other experiences, but I can only recommend Jeep and Dodge to my enemies.

Japanese reliability all the way if you plan on keeping it over 4 years. GM full size a close second.

Keep us posted, best of luck!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After being burned by jeep so many times, I gave them up for good. Please share your highly reliable jeep stories if you have them.
Well, somebody's gotta do it... I had an issue with my 04 wrangler, had a bad rear axle housing that they fixed under warranty. Had a 94 Cherokee w/ 250k when I sold it last week no issues. Sold my 2011 Grand Cherokee last week as well with 155k miles on it. Only had a rear diff LSD motor and a sensor go out on it. Sold both of them for my current 2013 JKUR AEV build... hopefully nothing serious goes on with it. It has the oil pressure sensor going out, but that is a SUPER common problem that they have fixed with the redesigned part. Its actually the same sensor (and same part number) that I replacd on the 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee about 3 weeks ago. lol... Only difference is that on the GC it took about 10 minutes to replace, on this 3.6L its going to take about 2.5 hours :mad: hahahaha

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No Jeeps in my history but I have a buddy with a 2007 Wrangler and just sold a 2011 GC. Only issue on GC was a cracked radiator. Only issue on Wrangler has been a bad caliper.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm glad to hear there are some good ones out there. I know a guy with a 2002 GC V6 2WD that has been trouble free for a LONG time...he still has it. Mine (4WD limited V8 HO) was the pits... I guess there's all kinds.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nissan has about 10 grand off any Titan and Titan XD in incentives for companies, my dealer called me today. Also you can still bargain the price down from there. The regular cab trucks are in the $25.000 range. And they have a 5 year 100,000 Mile bumper to bumper warranty. Just saying. I have a 2017 pro4X and love it, But next tear I am going back to a Tundra. 2010,2012,2014, all over 120,000 the 10 over 200,000 miles and except for brakes, air filter, oil and tires. the A/C went on the 2010 thats it. I get a new one every 2 years and pass them down to plumbers that pound them. I have 62,000 miles on this and the leather seat cracked, they gave me a new seat under warranty. But thats enough reason to go back to the Tundra. Once you pull off that dealer lot in a Jap truck you should not have to go back.
They are made in America but totally different.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’m on my 3rd F-150 5.0 since 2011, I put 55,000 miles a year on my trucks and honestly with almost 500,000 miles in them in 8 years I’ve done oil changes, brakes, tires, and a few windshields, that’s about it. I had a leaking diff cover on my 2014, covered under warranty. Hell the BFG tires on the ‘14 lasted until 105,000 miles. There’s no excuse nowadays to not get 200,000 miles on a pickup, they should all be light years better than even 20 years ago.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m on my 3rd F-150 5.0 since 2011, I put 55,000 miles a year on my trucks and honestly with almost 500,000 miles in them in 8 years I’ve done oil changes, brakes, tires, and a few windshields, that’s about it. I had a leaking diff cover on my 2014, covered under warranty. Hell the BFG tires on the ‘14 lasted until 105,000 miles. There’s no excuse nowadays to not get 200,000 miles on a pickup, they should all be light years better than even 20 years ago.
I remember helping my dad pick out his '02 Silverado (that he still daily drives 17yrs/175k miles later), and telling him the same thing. "These are all going to significantly better than that '85 F150 you had".......Funny how that same phrase keeps coming around......and keeps being true!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@2kwik4u Its pretty universally true throughout the automotive industry. I remember when an 80’s or early 90’s era family sedan was pretty much used up at 100k, now even the cheapest Hyundai or Kia will do twice that. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance...

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
and I am open to all brands. I have had 2 Silverados, and my current one is a 2002 which runs great with under 80K miles on it, but is starting to rust underneath and I'm just done with replacing the brake lines every 2 years. I need to start thinking about something new. I would like a back seat, but that's about it. I am low maintenance and don't need leather or anything fancy, electronics wise. I just want something capable of hauling my 2008 SX 230, without straining the f out of it. Ford's seem to be the cheapest ones available, but I am not fond of Ford's considering their police cars (of which I had a few) all sucked. But they seem to have a good reputation as far as trucks go, so I am not set against one. In addition, I would like to keep it under 30k. Is 4wd worth the expense if I only use it a few days a year? I don't know but I've always had 4WD. I'd consider used, but when I bought my 2002 Silverado, I spent about a year looking for a well cared for used pick up, and I could not find one. Guess most folks are not as anal as the people on this board, with their stuff. I'm just looking for opinions from those aboard who always have one, lol.

I'm also selling this beautiful 2013 Infiniti G37 sport, with less than 25000 miles on it, and bumper to bumper Infiniti Wrap warranty on it until 2021, if you know of anyone interested. Rest assured this is the nicest 2013 sport in the entire country up for sale at the moment. Garage kept, all records, etc etc etc blah blah blah.....25 k to anyone on this board
View attachment 83111

2013 INFINITI G37 Convertible Convertible 2D V6 Prices, Values & G37 Convertible Convertible 2D V6 Price Specs

I bought this one knowing I'd sell it within 2 years or so. Thus, video records kept.

For towing a reasonable sized boat, you can't beat an F150 Ecoboost with 3:55 gears. Yank the tongue right off the trailer. My boat weighs 4K pounds and I have to feather the gas peddle to keep from lighting up the rear tires when taking off at a stop light. It pulls like nobodies business, and a recent 900 mile trip (one way) netted me just over 15 miles per gallon towing the boat. My 2016 GMC 1500 4X4 with the 5.3 V8 won't make that mileage empty, and it cries when you hook a trailer to it. It is a DOG. I had an 06 Tundra with the V8, and it burned a quart of oil every 150 miles, and the truck only had 50K miles on it. Count me out for anything other than a Ford in a half ton truck. For a diesel it will be Ford or Ram with the cummins.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2016 GMC 1500 4X4 with the 5.3 V8 won't make that mileage empty, and it cries when you hook a trailer to it. It is a DOG.
I got a crisp $10 bill says your 2016 has the 3.08 rear gearset in it. The 5.3/6L80E/3.08 setup is NOT a good towing setup, arguably not a great daily driver either. I think that setup is rated at like 5,200lbs towing. 3.42 trucks are rated at 9,200lbs towing.

Check the glove box for the RPO Codes. GU4 =3.08 rear gear GU6 = 3.42 rear gear.

The 3.42's in my 2015 produce great results, even with a significant load on the truck. Had 3.73's in my Yukon and those were even "snappier".