• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New and Looking for information

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello, I thought I would introduce myself. Despite what my profile says, I don’t yet have a jet boat (I couldn’t find an option in the drop down menu that said none). I’m here to learn and see what I think I want before going to the dealers. I’ll mostly lurk for a while, since I have little to offer yet. With a little luck that will change sooner rather than later! I spend most of my time lake wise in Arkansas and Oklahoma, but some of the ocean pictures I’ve seen posted are inspiring and jealousy inducing for sure. Looking forward to learning.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello, I thought I would introduce myself. Despite what my profile says, I don’t yet have a jet boat (I couldn’t find an option in the drop down menu that said none). I’m here to learn and see what I think I want before going to the dealers. I’ll mostly lurk for a while, since I have little to offer yet. With a little luck that will change sooner rather than later! I spend most of my time lake wise in Arkansas and Oklahoma, but some of the ocean pictures I’ve seen posted are inspiring and jealousy inducing for sure. Looking forward to learning.
There is a veritable cornucopia of info here on all he Yamaha jet boats.

Basic Questions that were put to me when I wanted to get a boat

1-What are you going to use the boat for?
2-Where are you going to use the boat?
3-How many people are going to be on the boat- be realistic.
4-How often are you going to use the boat.

Texatl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Welcome!

While Yamaha's are very awesome and I love them. Don't count out the other possibilities. SeaDoo (used of course), Chapparal (SeaDoo's basically), Glastron, Scarab... (all in the Model Specific Section). While I love my Yamaha, I looked very hard at the Chapparal and SeaDoo boats.

There are lots of great options. Again, Welcome!!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is a veritable cornucopia of info here on all he Yamaha jet boats.

Basic Questions that were put to me when I wanted to get a boat

1-What are you going to use the boat for?
2-Where are you going to use the boat?
3-How many people are going to be on the boat- be realistic.
4-How often are you going to use the boat.
These 4 questions are a great start for anyone looking for a boat!

To the OP, you will currently find long wait times for a new boat and high out-the-door prices, at least until the covid bubble shrinks.

Like you, I am currently boatless and looking for my first jetboat. I'm beginning to think about getting a 2019/2020 boat (maybe a 190/195) for now and maybe a new boat a few years from now, when things might be back to "normal".

Jim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank all of you. I am definitely not tied to any one brand, I just had to choose one when I registered. The differences in the brands are one thing I hope to learn about. My answers to the questions are:

1. A general runabout, likely pulling teenagers to ski, tube, etc. from time to time. Otherwise to just cruise around with my wife. I think I will invest in one of those grill attachments at some point though - beats a lunchmeat sandwich hands down. I like to fish every so often, but do not see that as a role for this boat.
2. We have family on various lakes and live fairly close to several lakes as well. We might want to live on a lake in the future, but that is not going to happen for a few years at least. Lakes we have frequented include, in Arkansas - Bull Shoals, Greers Ferry, Norfork, Beaver Lake, Lake Hamilton. In Oklahoma - Grand Lake, Keystone Lake, Tenkiller. We have been to Table Rock in Missouri as well. While we might travel elsewhere, those are the most likely suspects. I can’t imagine ever getting to salt water, but some of those pictures of calm clear sea water in the Keys and elsewhere are amazing.
3. 2-4 adults and 1-2 teenagers is the most likely number when it is not just the two of us.
4. How often is a good question. I can see perhaps two week long uses, plus 4-6 weekends/long weekends per season.

It seems boats are like cars due to covid issues. Normally, I’d be looking at a new truck right now, but given the delays and prices, I don’t mind waiting a while. Same goes with the boat. I don’t want a new one so bad I‘m willing to pay bubble prices. I can wait or buy used like the poster above mentioned. Besides, I don’t even know what I want yet!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My only advice is buy your second boat first!
01219953-3CAE-4B88-9861-41F906C78997.gif

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Wishingforanewboat Someone just posted a nice 212x a few minutes ago. What is your budget? That does make a difference.

Boat - 2018 Yamaha 212X (Indiana) | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!
[/QUOTE
Honestly, if I weren’t so ignorant on the topic, I should probably jump on that. My budget is $75,000, but I would like to stay under $65,000 if possible. If the holy grail became available I might go to $85,000, but I would cry. One question I am hoping to answer here is the issue of steering. I understand the advantages of jet boats, but my experience is with prop driven boats and I keep hearing about how hard jet boats are to manouver.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't sweat the steering, it is not hard to master. With or without Fins or Thrust Vectors.

I would probably think a 212s would suit your needs quite well and will be on the lower end of your budget. I am not sure what holy grail means.... Unless you need a surf boat or want more space, a 21' mid range should be great for you.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would be helpful, but I doubt I have the foresight required
The 21 foot models should fit you well, but if you can swing it, the 25 foot models would exceed your needs now and possibly cover the foreseeable future. If you can there’s plenty of people around that could possibly give you a water test to see if a jet boat is for you. Like HangOutdoors said, the steering is not as hard as you think. After you get the hang of it you’ll be able to go more places than any prop boat can go.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Don't sweat the steering, it is not hard to master. With or without Fins or Thrust Vectors.

I would probably think a 212s would suit your needs quite well and will be on the lower end of your budget. I am not sure what holy grail means.... Unless you need a surf boat or want more space, a 21' mid range should be great for you.
Thanks. I don’t know what holy grail means either, except for something special I decide I really, really want. I thought 21’ was the sweet spot for what we plan to do, but don’t know what mid range is.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the 21 or better yet find an older 23’. We bought our second boat first and honestly, don’t feel any inclination to upgrade.

Look for a 2004-2009.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I don’t know what holy grail means either, except for something special I decide I really, really want. I thought 21’ was the sweet spot for what we plan to do, but don’t know what mid range is.
They higher trim levels / models on the 21' have better finishes and extra features. The lower trim levels like the AR and SX have the base features and comforts and smaller engines. Although I do own 2020 AR210 and love it, also it is decked out pretty good for everything. But some don't want to add a lot of mods on their boats and would rather go turnkey and pay a higher price.

I recommend watching video's, scanning this forum and as was mentioned above we have a list of members in a lot of areas that would take you out for a water test.

(1) Considering a Jet Boat? Perhaps Need a Test Drive/Ride? Look Here! <VOLUNTEERS NEEDED> | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!