• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

New Boat Decision time!

Hike

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Decision time.. I’ve been waiting to upgrade from a 2008 230HO. Would you go for the 2025 AR250 with the 1.9 and mod it out with upgrades? I love the new space blue color and the deletion of the table behind the captains chair for more seating.

Or.. get a used 2023 255XD with the 1.8svho for not too much more money? Love the fact that it’s faster and the trim is more lux. The kids have never wake surfed, but I can see getting them into it. Don’t like the hard ballasts that take up so much room. Not a fan of the table that cuts into the seating.

Just don’t know if I’d be better off with a newer 1.9 that’s naturally aspirated, quieter and has the 4 blade impellers. I want to stay away from drive x on the newer models that don’t have a rudder and can’t take fins because of the new reverse buckets. I can dock just fine and would rather have better tracking through rougher water and carving through turns.

Would I be really missing out on E-throttles with the AR?
Does the new 1.9 feel close enough to the SVHO or are they still night and day?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If I had to just pick from those two boats I’d go with the new AR250 for these (personal) reasons:

- It’s brand new with the 1.9’s.
- We don’t do wake sports and the ballast tanks take up valuable storage space.
- Less electronics than the XD. I have an 242LS-E and while I love it there are a lot of electronics and failures could be costly. I’ve been waiting on a new 12” Connext screen for almost a year so availability of some electrical components is still an issue.
- It’s brand new with the 1.9’s. :)

On the 250 I would install sea dek, better sound, have a center cockpit seat made with a slotted base so it doesn’t need the side bolsters. I’d take apart the 7” connext screen and 3d print a new casing to hold two screens, adding a dedicated chart plotter.

On the 255x, id just get in and start joy riding:)

But I like the idea of new engines and less electronics.

If you don’t surf then don’t buy a surf boat, it’s that simple. If you think the kids might like it then get a surf board now and just tow them with your boat and see if they like it. If they absolutely love it then keep taking them out to see how much they like it. Of all the jet boat hulls Yamaha makes, 19’, 22’, 25’, the wake series hull is the only specific hull made by Yamaha for each size.

I like the idea of the 1.9’s and their attributes. You could go with twin screw impellers to quiet things down on a three bladed impeller set up. The 1.9’s also use regular unleaded fuel, as I said in another post, for me that would be about availability of the 91 vs, the 87 octane not so much the cost, 87 is less money but not by a whole lot, but I’m guessing the 1.9’s will be better on fuel than the 1.8 SVHO.

Most all of us like to go fast, but how often are we going WOT? Not very often. I read a while back the NMMA did a study and found the majority of boats spend almost half their life at idle

I say get the layout you want sounds like that is more important to you.

Is the hull different on the 255XD vs the AR250?

I have 90 octane non ethanol available to me in VA. I believe this would work in either boat from what I've heard. If not, I could add octane booster

That is my understanding yes. To what extent I do not know.

I have 90 octane non ethanol available to me in VA. I believe this would work in either boat from what I've heard. If not, I could add octane booster
Right on. Yes for sure in the na motor if you had to, but otherwise run 87, 86 is what is spec’d in the manual.

Are there any engine mods out for the 1.9L yet?

Same hull, they use same mold for all the 250, 252, and 255.
Tunnels and pumps different on the 255s, they are larger

I just realized that the 255 doesn’t have the swim up seats because of the wake shaper.. that stinks.

Anyone know if the Ar250 comes with the hardware mounts for the swim up seats? I know it doesn’t have the seats themselves but we can get those aftermarket now

The large Connect and the sliding chaise lounges are the only thing I miss on my AR250. Saving the 17-35 grand allowed me to upgrade to a Seakeeper Ride system, Jetboat Pilot thrust vectors and lateral thrusters, custom marine mat, underwater seats, anchors, safety gear, and a large sun shade with 2-20k left over vs the more expensive models. Yes I top out at 48, so miss a few MPH, but I’m rarely going those speeds. The 1.9’s have plenty of low end grunt and I save on premium fuel. The stereo isn’t great, but it’s enough for us.

I just realized that the 255 doesn’t have the swim up seats because of the wake shaper.. that stinks.

Anyone know if the Ar250 comes with the hardware mounts for the swim up seats? I know it doesn’t have the seats themselves but we can get those aftermarket now
Yes it has the mounts. You can see in the pic the port side mounted in the upright table/drink holder position sticking out of the water.

IMG_1462.jpeg

Back