• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner- 2024 252SE

Paul in Ohio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hello All,
My wife and I just took delivery today of our new 252SE. We bought it from J&J's in Huron, OH a month ago, but waited patiently for them to run it through their paint shop to apply a custom paint job that I designed. It's got 4th of July colors! My wife just couldn't stand an all white boat, and this model only comes in two colors- white and black. We store the boat in the backyard on a 30' long Airlift Jet Dock, which I picked up used a month ago here on Sandusky Bay.
I have a few questions:

1) The fitted cover that I bought with the boat was really difficult to put on. I couldn't get the starboard rear corner of the cover around the transom. I checked all of the internal perimeter straps, and they are let out as far as they will go. Is there a trick to getting the cover all the way on?

2) The stern stereo remote control was still lit up even after I turned the ignition off. Are they always on? Maybe battery operated remote control?

3) Is the true fuel level reading the one you read when under way? I noticed (after filling up) that my boat reads 85% full when sitting still in the water, but 100% full when under way, planing.

4) Do you guys change the spark plugs every year or every two years? My Waverunner starts to miss after a couple of years and maybe 30 hours on the spark plugs, so I do it every two years.

I am looking forward to becoming more familiar with this boat. Getting it onto the Jet Dock for the first time was a real trip. It was hard to tell whether I had the bow lined up straight down the middle, before I goosed the throttle.
I am planning on switching to full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 or equal) after the 10-hour break-in, probably 10W30 or 10W40. Do you guys have a favorite oil? I run full synthetic religiously in my vehicles, tractor, lawnmower, snowblower, and power washer.

New Boat Pic.jpgBoat Pic #2.jpg

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello All,
My wife and I just took delivery today of our new 252SE. We bought it from J&J's in Huron, OH a month ago, but waited patiently for them to run it through their paint shop to apply a custom paint job that I designed. It's got 4th of July colors! My wife just couldn't stand an all white boat, and this model only comes in two colors- white and black. We store the boat in the backyard on a 30' long Airlift Jet Dock, which I picked up used a month ago here on Sandusky Bay.
I have a few questions:

1) The fitted cover that I bought with the boat was really difficult to put on. I couldn't get the starboard rear corner of the cover around the transom. I checked all of the internal perimeter straps, and they are let out as far as they will go. Is there a trick to getting the cover all the way on?

2) The stern stereo remote control was still lit up even after I turned the ignition off. Are they always on? Maybe battery operated remote control?

3) Is the true fuel level reading the one you read when under way? I noticed (after filling up) that my boat reads 85% full when sitting still in the water, but 100% full when under way, planing.

4) Do you guys change the spark plugs every year or every two years? My Waverunner starts to miss after a couple of years and maybe 30 hours on the spark plugs, so I do it every two years.

I am looking forward to becoming more familiar with this boat. Getting it onto the Jet Dock for the first time was a real trip. It was hard to tell whether I had the bow lined up straight down the middle, before I goosed the throttle.
I am planning on switching to full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 or equal) after the 10-hour break-in, probably 10W30 or 10W40. Do you guys have a favorite oil? I run full synthetic religiously in my vehicles, tractor, lawnmower, snowblower, and power washer.

View attachment 222972View attachment 222973
Welcome and great paint scheme, really makes the boat a head turner. We used to take our Bertram charter boat from Port Clinton to Huron and Vermillion for the fall perch and walleye before the boat got pulled for the year. Maybe I can help with some of your questions.

1. There are several threads on the forum with people having issues with their Yamaha covers not fitting. This seems to be a common issue. Will J&J swap it out if you purchase it through them? The covers are made by a 3rd party vendor so each one is slightly different. I found when I would leave mine out in the sun, it would stretch a little and become easier over time.

2. Stern radio, I am not sure about. Didn’t have one.

3. I had the same issue with mine. I was able to get it a little closer by running the tank down pretty low (watch your mpg) and then doing a full refill. Seemed to almost “re calibrate” the computer. Info given to me by another member.

4. Spark plugs I changed at the 10hr service and then every year. Pretty inexpensive and good peace of mind in my opinion.

5. Oil is a sensitive subject lol. I always used Yamalube, I figure Yamaha did their R&D on what the best oils are for their engines. I believe Yamalube also has a good additive package that some car/truck oils do not have. In my opinion again, it’s personal preference.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome. Love the paint scheme!

I change my plugs every 2 years. Nothing wrong with every year though.

Re the oil, I stick with Yamalube as well. I understand it's a blend of synthetic and regular oil. I've always used marine oil products in my boats. Never used car engine oil.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello All,
I have a few questions:

View attachment 222972View attachment 222973
The paint scheme is great! Nothing like having a one off design!

3). There has been several threads about the % fuel gauge on the main display being wonky and as @Thermobrett says some of those folks got them to work properly by running the tank down low then refilling, in one case it took a few of these cycles to get it “calibrated”. Having said that, there is a digital fuel used on one of the pages of the connext screen that I and others have found to be more accurate than the percent gauge, I found it to be accurate down to 1/10 of a gallon. You will need to reset it of course after each fill up for this to be used.

Here’s my suggestion, using the slowest setting on the pump handle fill your boat with fuel, and allow the tank to fill, after the pump clicks off wait 10-15 seconds and activate the pump again on slow and listen for the fuel to come up in the fill port and let the pump click off, it should click off again quickly if not maybe do this once more just to make sure the tank is full but don’t top off again as this can lead to fuel filling problems if the charcoal canister breather gets full of fuel, we’re just trying to make sure the tank is full this time.

Get in the boat and reset the fuel used meter and you are good to go. Now while you are out on your boat you can monitor how much fuel the engines have used of your boats 75 gallon capacity and compare that to the % gauge, and you will be able to run the fuel tank down with confidence. When you refuel you will know how much fuel to expect to put in the tank this is where I’ve found my fuel used meter to be accurate to 1/10th of a gallon. There is a gallons per hour meter in the connext as well, while underway you can use the speedometer reading and divide that by the gph to determine your instantaneous mpg, 30 mph / 10 gph =‘s 3 mpg.

4). If your boat is like mine it has a 100 hour service interval on the oil change, and I think my service manual calls out a 100 hour plug change, so I change the plugs right around the 100 hour mark when I change the oil.

5). As @Thermobrett eluded to, the oil subject can take on a religious fervor lol!, lots of threads on that here. I ran the Yamalube oil (Yamalube products are good products) for the first two oil changes to allow everything in the engine to seat properly, if it was me I’d wait until you have 100 hours on the engines before switching to full synthetic oil. Then I switched to Amsoil 10W-40 marine oil, (I run Amsoil in everything I have, diesel truck, dirt bikes, generators) and over the past two oil changes I’ve been running Amsoil oil filters as well, there was a very noticeable difference in used oil color between the stock oil filters and the Amsoil filters with Amsoil filtered oil coming out a dark amber instead of black with the oem oil filters.

6). As far as getting to know your boat, get a service manual as soon as you can get one, lots of helpful information in there. Depending on where you boat you may want to familiarize yourself with how to pull the jet pumps if you get a stick or other object stuck between the impeller and wear ring.

Welcome aboard ! We will all be looking forward to your posts in the “show us what you see” and “one picture of your last outing“ threads. I hope you can get in a lot of hours this summer!

Paul in Ohio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Wow, thanks for all the great answers! I really appreciate it! I guess I will stick with the Yamalube for awhile.
I will see if the cover stretches out today under the hot sun, and if not, I'll contact J&J for a replacement cover. They have been very easy to work with, and have gone out of their way to make us happy customers. The owner personally delivered my boat to Dempsey's Ramp and launched it yesterday, because I don't own a suitable tow vehicle capable of towing a 6000# boat & trailer.

Paul in Ohio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Does anyone know how to get my 2024 252SE to play music from a USB flash drive? I tried switching the source to all available options, but no luck. I am using an 8GB flash drive with small folders.

Oh, I solved my problem of the factory cover that would not fit over the transom. I shortened the aft telescopic rod support by 4" by drilling a new 1/4" dia. hole in the rod. That did the trick, so now the cover fits nicely.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not sure if the radio will support an external drive source to pick files from. I downloaded the YouTube Music app and streamed my music via Bluetooth that way.

Paul in Ohio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks, Thermobrett.

I scoured the entire owner's manual for the model # of yamaha oil filter to fit my 1.9L engines on the 2024 252SE, and came up with a big blank.
I can't believe that they would leave that out of the owner's manual?

oil.JPG

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks, Thermobrett.

I scoured the entire owner's manual for the model # of yamaha oil filter to fit my 1.9L engines on the 2024 252SE, and came up with a big blank.
I can't believe that they would leave that out of the owner's manual?

View attachment 223019
Looks to be the same as the 1.8l is. I'm guessing the displacement increased, but they used the same components on the external. @JetBoatPilot can you confirm your oil change kit does in fact fit both the 1.8l and the new 1.9l engines?

1720198545457.png

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the new ride. I'm eyeballing all the new boats for when I come back to the mainland and this size would be a nice upgrade from my little 19. Ditto on ThermoBretts oil comment - Yamalube for a new boat.