• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New purchase 255XD and random thoughts vs AR250

NewGuy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Woo hoo!! Finally found the 255 I’ve been looking for - 2021 with 26 hours and 3 years remaining on Y.E.S. Anyway love the power and the blue is much nicer in person than what I saw in pics. However, what I’d share after now owning the AR and introducing myself to the 255 is that the AR250 is one helluva value. Yes, there are more bells and whistles with the 255, but you can do a lot with the AR to make it your own for a lot less coin if you don’t want/need the extra ballast.

For starters, I’m not seeing any big upgrade on the upholstery - had always heard that, but just not seeing it. Yes, there is a nice diamond pattern in the 255 seats as well as some high quality inserts, but overall quality is about the same.

The aftermarket Seadek kit I bought from jetboatpilot for the AR250 is much better/nicer/maybe thicker than the mats in the 255. The 255 snaps look like they’ll get hot in the sun and although you’d think maintenance would be easier with snap-ins, I can now say definitively, the stick down is waaaaaay easier to maintain. Just cleaned the mats in the 255 following a crappy “detail” clean by dealer and I know now that I will be, once again, drilling out snaps, filling holes, acetone cleaning and sticking down Seadek next fall. With snap downs, you have to clean both sides of the mat plus the floor. Kinda stupid.

Power is insane on the 255, but I was never left wanting with the AR and there’s that high octane requirement thing on the 255.

Stereo? Hahaha! Yes, the AR sucks, but it’s an easy upgrade.

Anyway, just some random thoughts from a hopefully not for too long 2-boat owner family. AR is now somewhat reluctantly actively for sale.

Power is insane on the 255, but I was never left wanting with the AR and there’s that high octane requirement thing on the 255.

In terms of comparing the 255XD to the AR250 and your statement above, how is the fuel consumption and cost per hour to operate?

I’m assuming you like to wake surf, what about the wake capabilities between the two?

“ AR is now somewhat reluctantly actively for sale”. Are you thinking the 255XD is worth the squeeze? Or is it just saying goodbye to your AR that’s hard because you had a lot of great times on her?

I appreciate your post! I don’t believe I’ve read one like it here on this site.

In terms of comparing the 255XD to the AR250 and your statement above, how is the fuel consumption and cost per hour to operate?

I’m assuming you like to wake surf, what about the wake capabilities between the two?

“ AR is now somewhat reluctantly actively for sale”. Are you thinking the 255XD is worth the squeeze? Or is it just saying goodbye to your AR that’s hard because you had a lot of great times on her?

I appreciate your post! I don’t believe I’ve read one like it here on this site.

I'm not sure about the fuel consumption yet, but understand I'll take a hit there. We got the AR to wake just fine. Neither is going to match a dedicated wake boat and I haven't done any surfing behind the 255 yet, but I'd venture to say it will be even better.

I hope the 255XD will be a great boat. I will miss the AR because it has been fantastic and I just see it as an excellent opportunity to do whatever aftermarket work you'd want for far less money than what Yamaha charges for a 255. You do, of course, also get the bigger and more advanced screen on the 255, but the reason we're out on the water is to distance everyone from screens and gadgetry in the first place.

In the end, the 255 is not worth the squeeze when you compare the two side-by-side. The AR is just a phenomenal value, but this is like trucks too - Chevy Custom versus Big Country, Trail Boss LT, etc., Ford XL versus a Platinum, Raptor, Tremor...you are going to have to pay through the nose for the extras.

I'm not sure about the fuel consumption yet, but understand I'll take a hit there. We got the AR to wake just fine. Neither is going to match a dedicated wake boat and I haven't done any surfing behind the 255 yet, but I'd venture to say it will be even better.

I hope the 255XD will be a great boat. I will miss the AR because it has been fantastic and I just see it as an excellent opportunity to do whatever aftermarket work you'd want for far less money than what Yamaha charges for a 255. You do, of course, also get the bigger and more advanced screen on the 255, but the reason we're out on the water is to distance everyone from screens and gadgetry in the first place.

In the end, the 255 is not worth the squeeze when you compare the two side-by-side. The AR is just a phenomenal value, but this is like trucks too - Chevy Custom versus Big Country, Trail Boss LT, etc., Ford XL versus a Platinum, Raptor, Tremor...you are going to have to pay through the nose for the extras.

Excellent post!

do you feel the upgrade to the drive system is a big improvement in slow speed maneuvering?

do you feel the upgrade to the drive system is a big improvement in slow speed maneuvering?
I goofed around with Drive for a little bit and it was cool. The test will be to see if we actually use it. I actually found the AR to be very easy to maneuver. It's far easier than any inboard and I think even easier than an IO when using the dual throttles in conjunction with the steering wheel. You can spin it on a dime.

Great post. I was contemplating something similar for first NEW purchase. Can't afford the higher models yet and also was debating the actual added value.

After using it more, it’s a hard no. I can see where it would be of some value to a new boat owner, but I’m much better with just using the throttles.

Great post. I was contemplating something similar for first NEW purchase. Can't afford the higher models yet and also was debating the actual added value.
Welcome man - also see no value in push button start. Why have this if you still have to use a key anyway?

I saw Will's video on Jbp and thought the same thing. Once it clicks and realize how it handles and how to approach docks, beaches etc it's simple.

Thanks to Will for posting the content and Vids for us folk that can't get into a boat on demand.

Back