• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Middleman sale

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Jeff, my fins arrived a few days ago. I have quite a heavy stack of metal sitting on my kitchen counter! Hopefully they will get on the boat this week.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Very good, But since the entire system including the stainless hardware, only weighs 5 pounds , I hope you were joking about it being HEAVY!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I mean heavy in a strong, non plastic kind of way. :devilhorns:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok now I understand, it's just a different terminology . The most recent description I have been getting is AWSOME . So I can't wait to see what terminology you use!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So let me get this right the cobra jet fins can be set to stay in the down position full time, no matter what speed ?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes absolutely and they have a variety of settings for that function 5 different depths for each fin.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Gotcha..I think both types of steering systems are similar in performance while in the "Down" position driving slow. (The tvxl's wouldn't be raised up at this point yet). I think the noticeable difference is when the boat is moving along at a decent speed or maxed out. Then your product can be set to the down position and cut through the water coming from under the boat, thus making turning at higher speeds more significant.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That and a lot more, for instance with the twin engine boats you get two different ways to set it for slow speed assistance only if this is your preference, one way they go up at speed, the other you stagger the fins, outer fins up
and inner fins down, this gives a longer duration of off plane steering, kicks in sooner and lasts longer than the first way, then you get to add in some high speed enhancement by simply lowering the outer fins a little or a lot depending on your needs, This system can keep a 24 foot boat in a turn even while rapidly decelerating. Since the fins are tempered aluminum and in the proper position they do not need to be HUGE to be effective, they also have a very important piece called a side force stabilizer, this stabilizes the fins in high speed operation, plus it allows the actuator to rest on it to accommodate the different settings. All that and they do not cause any disruption in the wake behind the boat regardless of the setting you choose.
We did not offer any color choice since we matched the original color of the factory equipment and when the boat is in the water you can't see them anyway.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So anyone with the new venom Ultimate fins, do you find the edges sharp? Ever cut yourself by kicking them? Still debating between these and the tv-xl, and that is my only concern right now is how sharp the aluminum is. Thanks
I ran into the starboard fin yesterday with my head while cleaning the hull. No damage to the fin or my head.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
In case anyone was wondering this is what the fins look like under water.

image.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you, nice picture.
I can see that you had the original cobra fins on the nozzles prior to the Ultimates,
I would love to get your opinion of the performance difference between the old style you were running and the Ultimates now that you have had a season using the new ones.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Thank you, nice picture.
I can see that you had the original cobra fins on the nozzles prior to the Ultimates,
I would love to get your opinion of the performance difference between the old style you were running and the Ultimates now that you have had a season using the new ones.
The originals were on the boat when I purchased it. We used the boat three times the first season with the originals. It may be unfair to offer an opinion because I was new to jet boats all together so there was a leaning curve regardless. We have to navigate about a mile long channel from our slip and the first few times we went out it was constant correction through the no wake channel. I would constantly over correct. If a ranger saw my wife driving at no wake they would automatically think she was drunk! She was all over the place.

Fast forward to this season with the new ultimate fins and WOW what a difference. I will chalk some of it up to just shear learning how to drive a jet boat but they allowed me to pay much less attention to the wheel and corrected my oversteer issues. Minor adjustments at the wheel and I feel like it responds just like any other type of boat would. The primary reason I upgraded was so the wife would feel more comfortable driving. The new fins did the trick, she could tell an immediate difference (granted she could have learned without them over the season, but neither of us had that kind of patience). She can now drive with out the fear of a ranger assuming she has been drinking! No more zigzag. Success. Looking forward to seeing the difference next season with some adjustments to how they are staggered.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesone review, exact same reason I got them and my wife noticed immediately as well!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you, not exactly sure if it's my computer but the picture has disappeared??
It must have been on my computer logged off and back on and now it's back?

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This sale is still in effect , however I don't know how much longer since I have sold out nearly my entire stock of Ultimates.
I do have more on order but they can't tell me how soon I will be getting them.
Also for those of you with 2015 boats that have the new nozzles. My side force stabilizer is now compatible with those new style nozzles. Several customers have already added them to their 2015 boats.
This means you can add the Ultimates to any of the non rudder style 2015 jet boats Yamaha makes.
On that subject I am also working on mods for correcting what I believe are a few shortcomings with the new rudder system.
When this is complete and I am totally convinced the new boats need assistance as some are already claiming, I plan on offering a unique setup for that boat, this will also address other areas that I feel are important.
This is strictly an observation, I am a big supporter of Yamaha products I will not buy any other make.
Nothing is perfect, there have been issues in the past and present some issues we all know, like the loose flywheels on the 1800 engines , the clean out ports, the broken oil cooler bolts, number 3 plug sticking, oil in the breather box of the mr1 engines if overfilled, any product can have issue that need to be corrected or improved on, hopefully you get my point.

As I mentioned in the first post of this thread I plan on offering a new option for the Ultimates .
This new feature will be capable of being added to the existing Ultimate steering systems , giving you one more reason for choosing the Ultimate system.
I have been waiting several months for my prototypes to be made.
The big delay was due to a lack of availability on the new style nozzles.
The new style nozzles are rare and I finally managed to get one sent from GA via a local boat dealer in Palm Harbor FL.
Once I have the prototypes made and ready to test I plan on looking for some volunteers with various size boats. For feedback .
This is my off season work so obviously I will be looking for people who live in warmer climates .
Thank you.
Recent report from a 2015 ar190 Yamaha customer.
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 8:29 PM

Took the boat out today for the first time and it was amazing. I love the line u had that the paraphrase goes something like if ur not smiling while ur on the boat then u should get this product. A friend asked if it would improve current smiles.

Well to get back to today on the water moving it off the lift was so great. I was able to take it off and turn it around quickly and back it up to the dock with having to think about it. It just happened. Then going out the channel it kept straight. Once on plane it kept straight. It was not like prior when the boat felt like a skipping stone where your chasing it with the steering wheel. Now I can go so far as to sit on he back bench and depending on was side I sit I can adjust the course slowly. It is awesome. I feel like I saved so much gas just by keeping straight and not zig zagging and feeling like it is a skipping stone.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
this was posted by jcyamaharider on the other web page where people are discussing the sale going on here

"Locked down and hit a submerged object...tears up jet pump assembly and boat. That is a con. Yes I have seen it. 5k worth of damage.
Disclaimer: I fully support both companies in their business adventure and have products from both. I am just listing a potential con that I have seen happen myself, not that either product is better/worse then the other."

Sad That people have to resort to this nonsense. I had one of my customers point this out to me today.
It is nearly as outrageous as the previous one I posted here a few days ago.
I guess people should think about what they are saying , the ULTIMATE steering is spring loaded it does not lock down PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
As for all my previous steering from day one, It was made to bend just below the nozzle if it struck something seriously enough to possibly do any damage.
So I felt it was important to ask that people stop posting false statements about my patented steering, It's libelous and foolish. This sale is still ongoing by the way. The most effective and versatile steering available for your Yamaha jet boat Thank you!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Easy Jeff.... I fully support you and your business, and I do have your products. I did not intend to put a bad image on your fins but he asked for a con, I had one, It was with the old system, which was pointed out, but it kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Like I said before Both systems are great products. There is no need to name call and point fingers, but the situation did happen and for you to say that it didn't is ludicrous. You don't boat where I do and you would have no idea how to navigate where I boat at. For you to say that 100% something will never go wrong, you are living in a dream world. I would take my comment with a grain of salt on the other board, it is something that happened, no one got hurt. That is the plus side of things. For you to bring it over here, where I was trying to keep it off of, should know better. Lets not make this place like the other. If you can't take a little constructive criticism that's your problem, but there is no need to single people out because they don't buy your product or point out a negative.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As I said and I copied your post exactly the way it was sent to me.
The thread was about pros and cons of the sale items. From this sale on this site.
That would cover the ultimates although it did give me an opportunity to once again set the record straight for new and old systems.
It only takes a few to destroy the hard work of many.
I put a lot of time, money and energy into designing steering for Yamaha jet boats.
I do not sugar coat things, I do not play politics either. I call things like I see them.
I appreciate that people are willing to stand up for my steering and to insult them for it is unacceptable, Yes I have also been forwarder your last comments as well So that's your STORY ! Conversation is over on that.

Now for the record.
Even the magnum and 16x were designed to be sacrificed in the event of a strike on a submerged object.
The brackets that held the fins in place were designed to be the weak link for that reason.
Anyone who would drive a boat into rocks would sustain damage to their boat regardless, we all know boats are not built to be a rock crushers fins or no fins tvs or ultimates it would be the rocks and operator error that caused the issue not any fins.

For the people who are enjoying the Ultimate steering on their boats or any of my steering for that matter I thank you and I do appreciate your business.
I am always glad to dispel any false rumors or libelous accusations made toward my PATENTED products.
For the record and all of you can attest to the fact that the steering cables do not need to be stronger nor do the pumps or for god sake the seals? REALLY! geeeez
It's pretty sad in my opinion that I would ever have to deal with statements like those.
Here is some food for thought.
As we all know, Yamaha has added a rudder to a keel on the bottom of the new 24 foot boats to enhance the steering at ALL speeds. Even though it is not selectable or adjustable . People appear to like having that extra c0ntrol.
My observation is. This rudder is not spring loaded it is on the back of the keel near the swim platform and is probably going to make many impacts to the ground in shallow water situations. Those impacts can be transferred to the right hand nozzle via the tie rod.
This rudder is always submerged and even at top speed it will be producing a lot of forces on the right hand pump , along with forces to the cable and the nozzle of that pump.
Notably for some reason the forces created were sufficient enough to cause them to change the helm to a rack and pinion and the travel changed to twice the distance of the regular helm.
This equates to a smooth feel in the wheel at a sacrifice of the 3/4 turn radius of the original helm but it does nothing to change any of the added stress being applied to the right hand pump. The increased ratio just makes it unnoticeable to the driver.
Therefore if the boat manufacturer believes the pump, cable, nozzle, etc is strong enough to withstand the stresses and impacts being transferred to the pump and the various components via the tie rod, I would stand on the fact that on a twin engine hull in similar situations having my steering mounted on the nozzles themselves is not an issue and never has been.
So think of this, even my largest system "the Ultimates" with the fins not retracting at speed the design is such that as the hull rises up so do the fins attached to the nozzle.
The inner fins are actually being shielded from contacting the water in this situation so the only fins creating any influence when the hull planes out are the outer ones set at the amount of contact that you want. When the boat slows to no wake speeds etc the fins are submerged as seen in the picture that was posted on this thread.
As a designer and manufacturer of steering I would believe the Ultimate set is hands down the one that has the most to offer. Remember You can always call or email me with any questions. Thank you, J T Walkowiak

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This sale will end on Nov 30 2014 at midnight . After selling every set I had in stock I finally restocked today, The new sets are also compatible with the new 2015 style nozzles. I have new install sheets for that
plus I plan on making a new install video soon.
Today I also picked up some prototype parts for my new add on mod for the Ultimates, the new systems are made to accept this new mod making it a quick and simple process.
All existing systems already in use will also be capable of adding the new mod with just a couple extra steps required.
I will be in the testing and evaluating stage , once this is complete and the results are satisfactory I will move forward with it.
I also hope to have time to work on the new 2015, 24 foot specialty steering mods specifically designed to work in conjunction with the new rudder setup. Thanks to all that participated in this sale, I was happy to be able to save you some money and I know you will love the steering .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
THIS SALE is now over!
Here is a comment from a 2015 ar190 customer who installed the ultimate system on his boat recently.
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 8:29 PM

Took the boat out today for the first time and it was amazing. I love the line u had that the paraphrase goes something like if ur not smiling while ur on the boat then u should get this product. A friend asked if it would improve current smiles.

Well to get back to today on the water moving it off the lift was so great. I was able to take it off and turn it around quickly and back it up to the dock with having to think about it. It just happened. Then going out the channel it kept straight. Once on plane it kept straight. It was not like prior when the boat felt like a skipping stone where your chasing it with the steering wheel. Now I can go so far as to sit on he back bench and depending on was side I sit I can adjust the course slowly. It is awesome. I feel like I saved so much gas just by keeping straight and not zig zagging and feeling like it is a skipping stone.

Keep the feedback coming in and thanks to all that participated. I just keep seeing the word "AWSOME" in the feedback from customers!
Remember, you have the most versatile, patented steering system available.
Hopefully I will have the next upgrade available soon for the people who chose the ULTIMATE system for their Yamaha jet boat.
Keep an eye on the jet boat section of pwc weekly for any future sales or feedback, Thank you, J T Walkowiak