• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not Sure How this will Go......<Pool or boat?>

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are going on 20 years with our in-ground 12' x 24' x5' in the deep end pool. It is a nice addition to our outdoor living space. I can say we use the boat's more, in the last 5 yrs., especially having a slip. But there are times when life/weather gets in the way and you don't want to go to the boat. Too tired after work or those evenings when thunder storms are looming over the Lake. We use it on those hot evenings and to dinghy train the dogs. lol

20210219_094804.jpg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are one the few houses in the neighborhood without pool and the kids are begging for it. My admiral has clear instruction: I said no pool.

I agree because are running cost for the boat is like $200 per year if we had a pool it will be per month. So the extra $70K we did not spend on the pool construction we use it for trips to Florida and such

BleacherBum16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am doing a launch on command service here locally and they have a heated pool for members to use. Best of both worlds!

Kawak11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I sold my pontoon two years ago and put in a pool. Always knew I wanted a Yamaha in the future. Pool is awesome. We use it all the time. The cost and maintenance is not like the past. We live in the south and have it open all year. Nice to look at but to cold to swim in the winter. Filter runs every day. Barely notice a jump in the electric bill. Cleaning is easy. Saltwater super easy to maintain perfect clear water

Our new Yamaha just came in a few weeks ago. I will be in the pool during the week and weekend days when not on the boat.

@HangOutdoors - keep your boat this year. Get the pool. Upgrade to the 25 next year.

973C21E3-9B6D-4F79-869C-C1BDC8B49494.jpeg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are one the few houses in the neighborhood without pool and the kids are begging for it. My admiral has clear instruction: I said no pool.

I agree because are running cost for the boat is like $200 per year if we had a pool it will be per month. So the extra $70K we did not spend on the pool construction we use it for trips to Florida and such
Okay, I realize everything just seems more expensive here in NJ, somehow, but even for TX I think you are way off. our total cost for the season - maintenance plus heating plus repairs, no major upgrades, was over 10k last year. We didn;t build the pool, bought it with the house, and being it was the first season we decided to just get full pool service. Granted, it's a pretty large pool and the pool has a heater and we are perhaps a bit generous as far as keeping it warm, but whatever. I'm hoping to cut the cost this year and will be doing my own maintenance minus opening/closing and repairs. It will still be WAY more than $200/month though.

--

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our pool is just a 24' above ground, but I bet we have less than $6000 in the initial install of the pool and deck (I built the deck). Chemicals to open it in the spring run about $85. Same to close it in the fall. Chemicals and tablets for a year are probably $300. Electric bill is twice as high in winter than it is in the summer with the pool running, so I consider that a savings.

The key is to get a good filter and pump.. We have a huge filter for our pool, and the only maintenance we do is a gallon of shock 1-2 times a week and a chlorine tablet in the skimmer every day or so. The filter is on a timer and runs 8-12 hours a day (1-2 circulations). The pool stays crystal clear all year. Never any algae, never any scale.. Been that way for 5 years now and still looks new.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Okay, I realize everything just seems more expensive here in NJ, somehow, but even for TX I think you are way off. our total cost for the season - maintenance plus heating plus repairs, no major upgrades, was over 10k last year. We didn;t build the pool, bought it with the house, and being it was the first season we decided to just get full pool service. Granted, it's a pretty large pool and the pool has a heater and we are perhaps a bit generous as far as keeping it warm, but whatever. I'm hoping to cut the cost this year and will be doing my own maintenance minus opening/closing and repairs. It will still be WAY more than $200/month though.

--
Yikes, that’s crazy! Also in NJ, also have a heater, but only use a pool company to winterize. Otherwise I do my own opening and maintenance. Only use Muriatic acid, bleach, baking soda and borax for chemicals. Total monthly costs obviously vary based on heater usage (natural gas, no solar cover). During the summer, $130/month electric included. Can get up to $190/month with consistent heater use (for us, that’s rare as my kids swim in any temp). Last season, opened early May, closed early November, total spend $1300 all in. Non salt water pool, zero issues ever with water quality, takes less than 10 minutes/day to maintain.

Highly encourage the OP to consider the pool, my family literally uses every day in the summer, including those we boat. Also do your own care. It really is stupid easy with simple household chemicals. Lastly, stay away from the pool store, it’s a total money suck!

Attachments

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pre pandemic we decided to stay put in our semi-rural Ohio home, so we bought the boat, a large outdoor hot tub, and a dog. All have been great things during the pandemic. Our "kids" are in their 30's, but we love having the hot tub. During the summer we lower the temp to high 80's and it's a perfect cool down. Though it's not great for teens playing, you can enjoy it almost year around.

Kawak11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

--
heating is very expensive. Don’t need it in the south. NJ is on the higher side. I do my own maintenance. It would be $80 each service plus chemicals. Not like Fl where it’s $20 per trip, chemicals included.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yikes, that’s crazy! Also in NJ, also have a heater, but only use a pool company to winterize. Otherwise I do my own opening and maintenance. Only use Muriatic acid, bleach, baking soda and borax for chemicals. Total monthly costs obviously vary based on heater usage (natural gas, no solar cover). During the summer, $130/month electric included. Can get up to $190/month with consistent heater use (for us, that’s rare as my kids swim in any temp). Last season, opened early May, closed early November, total spend $1300 all in. Non salt water pool, zero issues ever with water quality, takes less than 10 minutes/day to maintain.

Highly encourage the OP to consider the pool, my family literally uses every day in the summer, including those we boat. Also do your own care. It really is stupid easy with simple household chemicals. Lastly, stay away from the pool store, it’s a total money suck!
This is good info, thank you. I figured we were getting screwed but I just had too much going after the move, and didn't want the pool to go to sh!t.

Are you using an automatic vacuum?

We have had some repairs, like the pump went dead, the light on the deep end, and some fittings and what not, so that added up. The heater is the big culprit, but we also have very nice trees all around the pool that put out a ton of crap (evergreens) and we needed cleaning twice a week, so that was a guy coming in with a handheld big device, the pool is deep. I figured I can probably do that myself.

Have you considered switching to the salt water (which is just a different way of chlorinating)?

--

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I first move in to Florida during peak summer heat, my water bill says I used 2600 gallons, quickly checked any leak in pipes and found none. Did a quick research my pool evaporates at the rate of 60 gallons a day (if I remember correctly) but net is, the pool evaporate a lot. Water bill is reasonable so no complains here but not sure about your water rate or evaporation rate in your state. I do all my maintenance chemical and stuff and cleaning filters.

Attachments

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is good info, thank you. I figured we were getting screwed but I just had too much going after the move, and didn't want the pool to go to sh!t.

Are you using an automatic vacuum?

We have had some repairs, like the pump went dead, the light on the deep end, and some fittings and what not, so that added up. The heater is the big culprit, but we also have very nice trees all around the pool that put out a ton of crap (evergreens) and we needed cleaning twice a week, so that was a guy coming in with a handheld big device, the pool is deep. I figured I can probably do that myself.

Have you considered switching to the salt water (which is just a different way of chlorinating)?

--
Have considered adding the chlorine generator, but my routine is so easy, it’s hard to justify to cost to upgrade. For new pool owners/new construction/full rehab there’s zero question it’s a more convenient way of keeping a constant chlorine level.

I use a Polaris vacuum with its own pump. Costs far more in electricity to run than the new robot electric vacuums, but again, what I have works (also with lots of trees around) and I’m loathe to spend money on an unknown. My vacuum stays in the pool unless I’m swimming and runs with the main pool pump 6 hours/day.

Overall, my system is old and inefficient compared to what is available today, but the DE filter is still the best technology for filtering still available and it all just works and has continued to do so for the past 15 years. I’ve replaced both pumps (filter and vacuum) twice in the past decade (on my own, ordered from Amazon). Ive rebuilt the innards of my pool vacuum once, I’ve replaced my pool light bulb once. That’s been the only “extras” for the decade.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have considered adding the chlorine generator, but my routine is so easy, it’s hard to justify to cost to upgrade. For new pool owners/new construction/full rehab there’s zero question it’s a more convenient way of keeping a constant chlorine level.

I use a Polaris vacuum with its own pump. Costs far more in electricity to run than the new robot electric vacuums, but again, what I have works (also with lots of trees around) and I’m loathe to spend money on an unknown. My vacuum stays in the pool unless I’m swimming and runs with the main pool pump 6 hours/day.

Overall, my system is old and inefficient compared to what is available today, but the DE filter is still the best technology for filtering still available and it all just works and has continued to do so for the past 15 years. I’ve replaced both pumps (filter and vacuum) twice in the past decade (on my own, ordered from Amazon). Ive rebuilt the innards of my pool vacuum once, I’ve replaced my pool light bulb once. That’s been the only “extras” for the decade.
did you have to remove water to replace pool bulb? Mine still works but I want to know in case I need to replace mine, it's halfway down depth of the pool.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
did you have to remove water to replace pool bulb? Mine still works but I want to know in case I need to replace mine, it's halfway down depth of the pool.
nope, dive down, unscrew, the whole unit pulls out and is on enough power cable to reach the pool ledge. Once it’s on the ledge, you can fully disassemble and replace bulb. Would recommend replacing gasket at the same time. Once fixed, push cable back into hole, put light in place, screw it home.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
nope, dive down, unscrew, the whole unit pulls out and is on enough power cable to reach the pool ledge. Once it’s on the ledge, you can fully disassemble and replace bulb. Would recommend replacing gasket at the same time. Once fixed, push cable back into hole, put light in place, screw it home.
sounds easy peasy, thank you!

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
whats the matter on owning both? ill tell you a little secret you can pay $80k for a pool or you can pay $25k, you can design you own pool and get a company to draw the plans , and get your own permits, contract an exacavation company to dig and rebar $200 for a 38 x 12 pool, hire a plumber and a electritian freelancers, get inspected and proceed with a company to pour the concret $3500, get someone for the coping and the tiles $2k while you wait for the concret to cure. now splur and get a company for the grunit dont cheap on it get good grunit $4k....add a deck lights and pump equipment mine was $27K including a summer kitchen from BBQCoach.com you are welcome, Mine is salt no chemicals

Attachments

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our pool is just a 24' above ground, but I bet we have less than $6000 in the initial install of the pool and deck (I built the deck). Chemicals to open it in the spring run about $85. Same to close it in the fall. Chemicals and tablets for a year are probably $300. Electric bill is twice as high in winter than it is in the summer with the pool running, so I consider that a savings.

The key is to get a good filter and pump.. We have a huge filter for our pool, and the only maintenance we do is a gallon of shock 1-2 times a week and a chlorine tablet in the skimmer every day or so. The filter is on a timer and runs 8-12 hours a day (1-2 circulations). The pool stays crystal clear all year. Never any algae, never any scale.. Been that way for 5 years now and still looks new.
Totally agree. I’ve had several nightmare pools over the years since the water will get 90-95 here and they can go green in the blink of an eye.
Current house came with a giant commercial sand filter and variable speed pump and it has substantially reduced the amount of time and chemicals I have to put into the pool.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had a road trip today to Ohio, back now..... Just a long drive:)