• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not Sure How this will Go......<Pool or boat?>

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after discussions, we will probably do something above ground circa 26'ish and play upgrading to larger boat by ear.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have considered adding the chlorine generator, but my routine is so easy, it’s hard to justify to cost to upgrade. For new pool owners/new construction/full rehab there’s zero question it’s a more convenient way of keeping a constant chlorine level.

I use a Polaris vacuum with its own pump. Costs far more in electricity to run than the new robot electric vacuums, but again, what I have works (also with lots of trees around) and I’m loathe to spend money on an unknown. My vacuum stays in the pool unless I’m swimming and runs with the main pool pump 6 hours/day.

Overall, my system is old and inefficient compared to what is available today, but the DE filter is still the best technology for filtering still available and it all just works and has continued to do so for the past 15 years. I’ve replaced both pumps (filter and vacuum) twice in the past decade (on my own, ordered from Amazon). Ive rebuilt the innards of my pool vacuum once, I’ve replaced my pool light bulb once. That’s been the only “extras” for the decade.
This is great stuff! Many thanks, great thread.

Dammm - now I feel empowered. I will no longer be cowed by the pool service.
Well... except to open and close; expensive mistakes can be made there from what I hear. :cool:

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is great stuff! Many thanks, great thread.

Dammm - now I feel empowered. I will no longer be cowed by the pool service.
Well... except to open and close; expensive mistakes can be made there from what I hear. :cool:

--
We only pay for closing and winterizing of our pool, even though I have watched them do it a few times, but if I screw it up the Admiral would pop my dinghy. I/we open the pool and maintain it over the season.

Last edited:

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife and I bought an above ground pool (nothing fancy) before covid ran them out of stock. Before we could even swim in the pool we bought a boat. Hands down the best combination 😂 When one of us was working the other would swim with our 3 year old daughter in the pool. We definitely spent more time on the boat than in the pool, our neighbors actually used the pool almost as much as us 😂 that’s small town Iowa though, can’t beat some of the neighbors you live by.

If you can swing it buy both, you won’t regret it. In the end it’s only money, haha! 🤪

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All depends on location. I've worked in the pool industry here in Hawaii for the last 18 months. The plaster job (granted not new, but a replaster) for a 15 by 30 pool is going to run you $15,000.

Stay away from Polaris pump driven vacuums if you can. We replace them all the time. They don't run on suction but on water return to the pool off a second pump, not nearly as efficient as having a single pump. Do get a variable speed pump and build a vacuum port into the pool wall when you build. Program the VSP to run at a higher rpm early in the day to give the vacuum a boost for cleaning and then ramp it down for filtration.

Salt pools require all the same chemicals as a non-salt pool except chlorine. You keep the salt level between 3000 and 3600 ppm and an expensive salt cell converts the salt to chlorine. What a salt cell sales person won't tell you is that there is a byproduct to chlorine generation that leaves white flakes in your pool. If you do go the salt cell route then make sure you plumb it in before the filter to capture all that stuff. Your filter will require more frequent cleaning as it will become less and less efficient causing excess wear on your pump.

An alternative to a salt cell is a chlorinator, this is just a plumbed in chlorine holding tank with a dispensing dial that you adjust until your pool chlorine level stays between 3 and 5 ppm.

You could also go all automated for all water balancing but that costs thousands of dollars and like all pool related stuff is expensive to repair.

Happy to answer any specific questions.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski the pool boy ( no Speedo, just soggy jeans) runs on average at $230 a month. That is at least what our neighbors are telling us.

I wonder if the pool fees in people’s republic of New Jersey is proportional to owners salary! I think that explains it LOL

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All depends on location. I've worked in the pool industry here in Hawaii for the last 18 months. The plaster job (granted not new, but a replaster) for a 15 by 30 pool is going to run you $15,000.

Stay away from Polaris pump driven vacuums if you can. We replace them all the time. They don't run on suction but on water return to the pool off a second pump, not nearly as efficient as having a single pump. Do get a variable speed pump and build a vacuum port into the pool wall when you build. Program the VSP to run at a higher rpm early in the day to give the vacuum a boost for cleaning and then ramp it down for filtration.

Salt pools require all the same chemicals as a non-salt pool except chlorine. You keep the salt level between 3000 and 3600 ppm and an expensive salt cell converts the salt to chlorine. What a salt cell sales person won't tell you is that there is a byproduct to chlorine generation that leaves white flakes in your pool. If you do go the salt cell route then make sure you plumb it in before the filter to capture all that stuff. Your filter will require more frequent cleaning as it will become less and less efficient causing excess wear on your pump.

An alternative to a salt cell is a chlorinator, this is just a plumbed in chlorine holding tank with a dispensing dial that you adjust until your pool chlorine level stays between 3 and 5 ppm.

You could also go all automated for all water balancing but that costs thousands of dollars and like all pool related stuff is expensive to repair.

Happy to answer any specific questions.
This is so informative.

I know this is probably a dumb question because there are so many variables, but I'll ask anyway: regarding automatic/robotic pool cleaners, would you have a favorite brand?

looking at Shark/Hayward, Dolphin/Maytronics, Polaris - are they mostly all the same? I find myself so completely out of my element trying to decide what to get... my head just spins.
I would prefer to pay more up front if one of those brands uses better components, but I can't tell what is what and what really matters. Help!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski the pool boy ( no Speedo, just soggy jeans) runs on average at $230 a month. That is at least what our neighbors are telling us.

I wonder if the pool fees in people’s republic of New Jersey is proportional to owners salary! I think that explains it LOL
That's just baloney. At least here, that would buy you maybe 3-4 visits a month (we pay $70 a visit I think) and I need 6-8 to keep things from spinning out of control, plus the cost of chemicals, and things that break. And the big differentiator is probably heating cost, I don't even want to think of it... but our large gas heater runs a lot, along with the pump that's on about 12 hrs a day. All of which I need to rethink; no matter what, pool it is a huge money pit.
Almost forgot, I may need a new cover pretty soon, too. lol.

--

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh, the more I see in this thread, the more I really don't want a pool.......

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't get me wrong, there are times - I'm so happy with our pool.
It usually comes about 2-3 times a month, a few minutes each time. lol.
The rest of the time... I'm just kind of scratching my head a little bit.

--

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But..... If we did decide to perhaps do just an medium size above ground pool, how hard are they for me to setup and install??? Have never done one. I would consider getting a middle of the road one, oval probably 24-26' or so.

As another option. Also has anyone had any experience with these? Something I could just throw up and take down every year without putting a lot of dough into it, so the the kids have something to do during the weekdays around the house. I see them around the area, actually quite few. For a few grand, plus a few things and some ground prep, it doesn't look to bad. Kids are 14 and 16 so it would only be for a few year or so. I dunno, looking for some middle ground so everyone is happy.

Intex Ultra XTR Frame Above Ground Pools (intexcorp.com)

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But..... If we did decide to perhaps do just an medium size above ground pool, how hard are they for me to setup and install??? Have never done one. I would consider getting a middle of the road one, oval probably 24-26' or so.

As another option. Also has anyone had any experience with these? Something I could just throw up and take down every year without putting a lot of dough into it, so the the kids have something to do during the weekdays around the house. I see them around the area, actually quite few. For a few grand, plus a few things and some ground prep, it doesn't look to bad. Kids are 14 and 16 so it would only be for a few year or so. I dunno, looking for some middle ground so everyone is happy.

Intex Ultra XTR Frame Above Ground Pools (intexcorp.com)
I have a buddy who's a complete cheap-ass, and he didn't want to spring for a "permanent" pool. He found one of those Intex pools on Craigslist or Facebook or wherever. He loves the thing. He originally didn't put anything under it, just set it up on the ground. He ended up springing for some 4x6's to surround the thing, and some sand for a nicer, more level surface. When those things first came out, I thought they were just a slight step up from a blow-up pool. His pool, and everyone else who has one, seems to be nicer and WAY longer lasting than I ever thought they'd be. I guarantee he would have ditched the thing if it was a PITA to setup or take down. That thing seems to be the best solution for a middle ground, and they're not that much if you decide to go permanent in the future, bet you could easily sell it. No idea what resale value is on those things, but you might consider looking at used, like my buddy did.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is so informative.

I know this is probably a dumb question because there are so many variables, but I'll ask anyway: regarding automatic/robotic pool cleaners, would you have a favorite brand?

looking at Shark/Hayward, Dolphin/Maytronics, Polaris - are they mostly all the same? I find myself so completely out of my element trying to decide what to get... my head just spins.
I would prefer to pay more up front if one of those brands uses better components, but I can't tell what is what and what really matters. Help!

--
@swatski I don't have a lot of experience with robotic vacuums. I would have to defer to the internet experts. They are, ironically, way more hands on than non robotic, suction style vacuums.

For anyone who cares about regular suction style vacuums: Personally I like the Zodiac MX8 the best. That vacuum in my own pool will climb right up the wall and out the pool while my Hayward slowly moves about the bottom only. Huge difference in real world application.

In order my favs
1. Barracuda MX8
2. Poolvergnuegen 4 wheel
3. Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel
4. Hayward The Pool Cleaner
5. Hayward Navigator

They all have parts that wear out, bearings, gears, treads, etc. They are all easy to repair with parts off of Amazon and there are plenty of how-to videos on Youtube.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is priceless info for our next robot replacement..you never know what they are trying to push at the pool stores and reviews online. Thank You!! @Scuba_ref
We have the Aquabot 4wd for about 6 years now and its done well. Does the bottom goes up the sides and easy basket to cleanout. We call him Robie the Robot.
I'm a water nut, so when I can't be on the boat I'm in the pool or hot tub ..I recommend them all. I take care of everything myself, except pool closing due to the winters and pool heater which costs $199.00 a year, includes winterization and putting on the safety cover. Once you get a couple of years under your belt you have a routine and its not bad.
Don't get me wrong your still throwing money into a hole in the ground. My buddy recommended Hot Spings Hot Tubs..a little more cash, but its been 12 years since I installed and one warranty issue..I got my moneys worth.
Its certainly great for parties or when family come to visit.
Best thing that came out of the Pool was I introduced both boys to diving before they could get certified. They both love it.
Good Luck! I'm always up for upgrading the boat :winkingthumbsup"

264B4EFA-84D8-43DB-87CA-DDB11F95B4CD.jpeg1748CB27-350E-4F1B-B767-2F47CDD997E0.jpegD6FA9165-93B9-44CD-B260-E72CD0581F31.jpeg6BD57493-8353-4325-B6B9-BAD06CC7C8D7.jpeg4DEFA4EA-35DE-4E39-819A-305F9D09244E.jpeg

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Honestly it would be awesome to have both!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a buddy who's a complete cheap-ass, and he didn't want to spring for a "permanent" pool. He found one of those Intex pools on Craigslist or Facebook or wherever. He loves the thing. He originally didn't put anything under it, just set it up on the ground. He ended up springing for some 4x6's to surround the thing, and some sand for a nicer, more level surface. When those things first came out, I thought they were just a slight step up from a blow-up pool. His pool, and everyone else who has one, seems to be nicer and WAY longer lasting than I ever thought they'd be. I guarantee he would have ditched the thing if it was a PITA to setup or take down. That thing seems to be the best solution for a middle ground, and they're not that much if you decide to go permanent in the future, bet you could easily sell it. No idea what resale value is on those things, but you might consider looking at used, like my buddy did.
I would actually consider this however not allowed in our hood, which is a whole other discussion.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I think the pool gets old fast. With everything you have maintenance, costs etc. It’s life but it’s all on what makes you tingle. Lol If you have a Cottage or Camp or somewhere to go and walk down to the dock I def say a boat. If not it might take away all the work to drag the boat off to the unknown.
I guess really it’s a first world prob! Haha
Good luck with your choice...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Next time I’m visiting my parents house I’ll try to remember and take a pic of what the concrete looks around around one corner and middle of the deep end. It’s bad and the entire surrounding is likely going to need to be dug out and completely overhauled after many, many years of use and a leaking deep end light that apparently caused a sink hole to form..... yea it ain’t rays of sunshine all the time owning or maintaining a pool and don’t let anyone ever try to convince you otherwise lol. Are there great moments having a pool to jump in and relax? Sure, but it’s all the time in between not using it and the fall or winters that makes you question yourself lol.

In regards to the robot cleaners, we’ve used Polaris many years ago probably the first one they designed. It was ok for a cleaning but it did not compare to manually vacuuming with the long pole. Last year my dad bought another robot cleaner and I can’t remember the brand but it’s 100x better than the old Polaris we had. Hes getting too old to manually vacuum so this works for him and honestly it does a pretty good job. Our old Polaris mainly didn’t perform well because it had this long tail that would swing around with a jet of water going through it. The idea was good for it to move things around, the problem was it just ultimately stirred up stuff that would never resettle on the bottom in order to be sucked up.

Last edited: