• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not Sure How this will Go......<Pool or boat?>

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think this thread neatly separates member "pool" of current and prospective pool-owners into two categories: 1. smart; 2. not-so-smart.
It is based on the ability to perform their own pool service.

I didn't make the cut for #1 😭

--
I hear salt systems are really easy but I went chlorine. All I do though is once a week I grab 3 1-lb bags of shock/chlorine and pour it into my skimmer and Im done with chemicals for the week...not even 5 minutes to do it. I toss the robot vacuum in usually once a week and let it do its job and my pool stays clean and water stays clear. Again, if its used alot that week or we have lots of rain then I will do the 3 bags twice that week. Backwash & rinse just before adding the chemicals....backwash 45 seconds to 1 min, rinse for 30 - 45 seconds and done. I work alot and always wanted a pool but was worried about the upkeep myself, I've been surprised how easy it is to maintain one.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear salt systems are really easy but I went chlorine. All I do though is once a week I grab 3 1-lb bags of shock/chlorine and pour it into my skimmer and Im done with chemicals for the week...not even 5 minutes to do it. I toss the robot vacuum in usually once a week and let it do its job and my pool stays clean and water stays clear. Again, if its used alot that week or we have lots of rain then I will do the 3 bags twice that week. Backwash & rinse just before adding the chemicals....backwash 45 seconds to 1 min, rinse for 30 - 45 seconds and done. I work alot and always wanted a pool but was worried about the upkeep myself, I've been surprised how easy it is to maintain one.
Man, that is great info; when you simplify, and itemize, it starts looking... do-able!

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we moved into this house it had a pool. So I bought this:

Now, the book is full of references to star's homes in California, as the author brags about all the famous people he knows. Ignore that and read this book. It will tell you EVERYTHING you could want to know about a pool. It is not that I don't have people do things on my pool (just had it replastered). But when I do, I know what is supposed to be done, what is not needed and the right way to do most things. In the long run, it saved me a bundle.

Second tip: the local pool store probably tests water professionally with their computerized analyzer for free. Just take them a bottle. I don't even test for pH any longer...

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can say that from my experience, the pool is a lot more expensive than I thought it would be! We decided to move not too long ago. Had lake front house with dock, but no yard with kids - decided to trade that for a house with a pool, a yard, and keep my boat at a slip close by. The costs added up quickly. The pool ended up needing a complete remodel - it had a leak, needed a replaster, the decking was cracked and crumbling and needed to be redone along with the coping, lighting, new pool heater, etc etc. Then add in the maintenance costs for a pool service since I knew nothing about pools (roughly 400/month on average). On top of that, I had to buy a boat slip and new lift since I no longer had a dock. Probably close to $100k all in. Still finishing up some of those projects that started in fall last year. I’ll try to post some pics after all done.

Do I regret moving and dealing with all this? No. My kids love it, wife is happy, and therefore I am happy. We were especially glad to have the use of all these things at home during COVID when we couldn’t travel.

Hammering this home, I will also share something that really made me think about this. Just a couple days ago, a colleague of mine passed away unexpectedly. He was a few years from retirement and there were no signs this was coming. Great guy, friend and neighbor. There are no guarantees for life, and you only live once. Just do what makes you and your family happy. The details will work themselves out if those boxes are checked.
Close to $100K all in....sounds like a boat. :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well today I learned how this was going to go.........

I told the admiral that I ordered the Trim Tabs yesterday, she said Ok cool!........ About an hour later she came up to my office and said "I just ordered the pool" an just put it on your amazon account. Will be here next month!. 18' x 52" round. That way they don't sell out and the kids can have something to do during the week or if they get tired of boating.

Amazon.com: Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra XTR Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover: Garden & Outdoor

I said, Boy that is more than I thought we were going to spend. She said, since we aren't upgrading the boat this year why don't you just add that Sonar fish finder thing to it so you can go out fishing.

I sat for a few minutes and went from happy to a bit amused.... I am the one who needs to pay for all it. So did I win or lose? Not sure. :oops:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I told the admiral that I ordered the Trim Tabs yesterday, she said Ok cool!........ About an hour later she came up to my office and said "I just ordered the pool" an just put it on your amazon account. Will be here next month!. 18' x 52" round. That way they don't sell out and the kids can have something to do during the week or if they get tired of boating.

Amazon.com: Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra XTR Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover: Garden & Outdoor

I said, Boy that is more than I thought we were going to spend. She said, since we aren't upgrading the boat this year why don't you just add that Sonar fish finder thing to it so you can go out fishing.

I sat for a few minutes and went from happy to a bit amused.... I am the one who needs to pay for all it. So did I win or lose? Not sure. :oops:
That's called a draw sir :D

Just remember. Happy Wife, Happy Life. :D :D

I'm sure she'll eat some of the fish you catch, and might let you lounge in her pool from time to time in exchange :D

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just had my pool finished a few days ago!! Same things. Kids can enjoy when I’m at work or on days it’s too windy to boat.
2E199FE2-7F05-4067-90F1-FAA2E8994C92.jpeg
B34FA14A-D356-45BF-BD23-D47D5DD985FF.jpeg

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could be worse. Between February and today we bought the boat, then bought a new truck to pull it, and the very next day my wife said "I think we need a motorcycle"..

My jaw broke when it hit the floor. Lol

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

A boat (with upgrades) AND a new pool! Livin’ large! Congrats!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bigwaves Going to have to do fishing charters or go up and down the beach and offer rides for $10 bucks in a tube to pay for it all:oops:

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pools dont require as much work as they used to. My pool is chlorine and requires chemicals 1 day a week which takes all of 5 mins to do. Install a Nature2 pool purifier by the filter and it cuts down tremendously on required chlorine & I only have to run my pump 1/3 of the day. I put 3 lbs of chemicals once a week, sometimes twice if it rains alot or its heavily used that week and Im done. I get my chemicals from Amazon for $70 for 24 1 pound bags. Never had a problem with PH levels, alkalinity, or any of that stuff.

As far as value, I guess that depends on where you live...IDK. I do know that Ive spent about $64K in my back yard and had my house re-appraised to refinance and the value went up $68K from when I bought it 2 years ago. We go to the lake some weekends and hang out but theres nothing like grabbing a towel and a cold drink and walking outside to the pool without having to pack stuff up to go.

View attachment 142664View attachment 142665
This looks like a resort! Beautiful!

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 142817

So, when I look back at it, I don't know, I think I may actually like that pool a lot more than I was willing to admit, lol, and we are getting a really good use of it.

View attachment 142811
View attachment 142812
View attachment 142813
View attachment 142815
View attachment 142816

View attachment 142818

I think the big question for me is - if I can do my own maintenance, without screwing it up or hating it. Having a full service is convenient but pricey.

--
Great pool, swatski! Family fun time!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

We started with a pool like that. In fact, I had two. One was 18’ and the other was 22’ I think. Both were under $600. I guess prices have gone up. Even taking them down for the winter they only last a couple of seasons.

I now have a pool that cost way more than my boat and I refuse to add up the total. But there is nothing better than getting in the pool after washing the boat on a hot summer day. Both have their advantages and I love having both. Last year it was a serious blessing.

The first year I tried to keep track of how many times we used it compared to the boat and stopped when I completely eclipsed the number of boat trips in an entire season with pool usage in the first two weeks or so.

6D0B67FA-AD6F-4314-84DA-8E104BA06BA3.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We started with a pool like that. In fact, I had two. One was 18’ and the other was 22’ I think. Both were under $600. I guess prices have gone up. Even taking them down for the winter they only last a couple of seasons.

I now have a pool that cost way more than my boat and I refuse to add up the total. But there is nothing better than getting in the pool after washing the boat on a hot summer day. Both have their advantages and I love having both. Last year it was a serious blessing.

The first year I tried to keep track of how many times we used it compared to the boat and stopped when I completely eclipsed the number of boat trips in an entire season with pool usage in the first two weeks or so.
Awesome pool. I would enjoy that very much. The problem is we are not sure if we will move in the next year or so. By the summer of 2022 We will pretty much know if we will stay or move to a different home with a better lot in the same area. Trying not to dump too much more into this one till then.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Awesome pool. I would enjoy that very much. The problem is we are not sure if we will move in the next year or so. By the summer of 2022 We will pretty much know if we will stay or move to a different home with a better lot in the same area. Trying not to dump too much more into this one till then.
That’s the same thing we had with our old house. The first pool was a blow up pool which lasted approximately 3 days before I had one that required a water truck to fill. We had no idea how long we’d stay there so we didn’t want to sink a bunch of money in. When we moved here we got the 22’ Intex to hold us over for a bit and then went off the deep end with the inground pool.

One thing I will say is to get the Intex saltwater chlorine generator. I bought that and it was great. I never did anything to that pool except skim it and swim. It’s well worth the cost to not deal with chlorine which was a bit scarce last year with all the new pool owners.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Shit, never mind. I was just looking for a link for you and these things are $500+ now!!! I paid $150 for it back in the day and it lasted two pools. I guess I better sell this thing for boat gas money, it’s been in the shed with the sand filter and pump I also upgraded.

Check out troublefreepool.com forums. You’ll like your pool a lot more and get great advice.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I see that the filter it comes with is rated at 2100 gph. I bought a filter for my old pool that is rated at 3000 gph and I will give it to you if you pay shipping. Probably needs new sand, but it has been sitting for a few years since we got a bigger pool.. Just let me know. I have said it before that your filter males all the difference in maintenance. We never had a single issue after getting this filter.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure I will take it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Okay, I realize everything just seems more expensive here in NJ, somehow, but even for TX I think you are way off. our total cost for the season - maintenance plus heating plus repairs, no major upgrades, was over 10k last year. We didn;t build the pool, bought it with the house, and being it was the first season we decided to just get full pool service. Granted, it's a pretty large pool and the pool has a heater and we are perhaps a bit generous as far as keeping it warm, but whatever. I'm hoping to cut the cost this year and will be doing my own maintenance minus opening/closing and repairs. It will still be WAY more than $200/month though.

--
Turn off the pool heater and buy everyone wetsuits. 😂