• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picked up MPGs towing with the tower down

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not fortunate enough to live close to any lakes. Usually my drive to the launch is 2-3 hours one way. My 2018 f150 has been getting 7-9mpg. I built a brace for the tower so I can tow with it down and picked up 3mpg. Much better gain than I was expecting. It might not look the best but it does the job and added almost 90 miles of range to my full tank. The tower and Bimini being higher than the tow vehicle really does add a ton of drag! Anybody else notice this? I will note although not shown in the picture I do strap the tower for safety while in transport.

Attachments

• 20230406_183005.jpg
    20230406_183005.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230406_183013.jpg
    20230406_183013.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 30
I'm not fortunate enough to live close to any lakes. Usually my drive to the launch is 2-3 hours one way. My 2018 f150 has been getting 7-9mpg. I built a brace for the tower so I can tow with it down and picked up 3mpg. Much better gain than I was expecting. It might not look the best but it does the job and added almost 90 miles of range to my full tank. The tower and Bimini being higher than the tow vehicle really does add a ton of drag! Anybody else notice this? I will note although not shown in the picture I do strap the tower for safety while in transport.

would the shipping/transport brackets accomplish same thing but be easier to manage/store?

i never got them from dealer when i got my boat...didn't know about them until i saw a few threads here

would the shipping/transport brackets accomplish same thing but be easier to manage/store?

i never got them from dealer when i got my boat...didn't know about them until i saw a few threads here

Yes they are easy to install and remove. a couple of minutes and I throw mine in tool kit. I use them if I need to tow long distances. Plus you need them to use the shipping cover for the winter, at least on my model.

Thats an increase of 33.4%, that’s huge! Well done!

I noticed a difference as well. On my 195, the bimini is like a sail when folded up. We came home late one day, I left the bimini folded up in its cover, only to get home to about a thousand dead bugs. It isnt that far to the bay. On shorter trips, I now remove the bimini all together and then lower the tower on long trips.

Back