• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polishing Black Trailer Fender Plastic?

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a big deal really but last fall when I was doing some minor gel coat repair on my 195S just above the trailer fender I unintentionally polished the black plastic with my orbital and a wool pad. I tried to "polish" the whole fender with Meguiars Miror glaze to make it uniform, but now it's just a dull hazy black. I was going to try a foam pad on a drill with Meguiars PlasticX to see if that would restore the glossy finish on the plastic fender, but then I read the label on the PlasticX and it says not for use on coated plastic. Any suggestions for getting the plastic fender a glossy black again, short of painting them, gloss black? Like I said, it's not a huge deal but kind of an annoyance. Gel coat repair on the boat turned out great! Here's picture of the hazy looking trailer fender. Any tips appreciated!

IMG_20210426_191006.jpg

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the torch thing doesn't work I'd paint it to get it shiny. That would drive me crazy too having a shiny and new looking boat on a dull trailer.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If you can’t find anything else... I have a 2021 trailer for a 195S with upgrades for sale in the classified section...🙂

I have had good luck with brushing a torch on other plastic to renew the shine. I would give that a try.

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use this to keep the black plastic on my cars and trailer looking new. Gives it a deep black color but not that super glossy fake black look.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try "Wipe New" plastic restore. Used it on many vehicles, it's amazing stuff. Small bottle, do not need allot, just wipe on wet, let dry. Done.

Walmart usually has it, or Amazon definitely has it.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Take a propane torch back and forth across it. I’ve done this to “clean up” plastic and give it its shine back. Just keep it moving & don’t melt it.
View attachment 151962
@Babin Farms , any specific tips on doing this other than keeping the torch moving? About how far off the plastic surface should I keep the flame? I have used propane torches before, but only for soldering copper pipes. This process sounds like it would work well, just want to do the process right. Thanks!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could also use a heat gun, it's more forgiving, but can still melt stuff if you aren't focused on the task at hand, and it's definitely slower than the torch.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Babin Farms , any specific tips on doing this other than keeping the torch moving? About how far off the plastic surface should I keep the flame? I have used propane torches before, but only for soldering copper pipes. This process sounds like it would work well, just want to do the process right. Thanks!
Probably about 2” off the surface using a nice slow brushing pattern. You start to see it change but it takes a while. Slow & steady & keep it moving.