• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk Audio Speaker connectors???

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Guess it's just me ......... :bag:
But I do not understand why people simply do not SOLDER wires directly.
It's far cheaper, easier, and you wind up with a connection that you never have to worry about.
My 2 cents worth, which today won't even pay for the paper cup to hold a cup of coffee we have yet to pay for ... LOL !
Many Best Wishes your way, Mikey Lulejian - Somewhere in Minnesota.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most people don't have a solder iron and the skills needed to pull it off.

My guess.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Most people don't have a solder iron and the skills needed to pull it off.

My guess.
Yep. That would be true.
If you want it done right the first time, do this.
Get the right size of spade/blade crimp-on connectors separately for the + & - terminals. Most auto supplies carry them on the shelf. All car stereo places carry them. Or get them thrown in the bag for free when you buy the speakers.
Throw away the insulator that comes on the crimp. Crimp 'AND' solder the connector onto the wire. Heat shrink over the wire end and connector junction.
The correct size of spade with a very fine barb will just lock into place. It should not come free unintentionally.
Sometimes you need to strain relief the wire against shock and vibration. Many speakers have this provision built into the speaker basket.
Why not solder the wire directly to the speaker terminal? Many reasons.
Serviceability. Do you really want to unsolder and re-solder the speaker terminals if you need to R&R the speaker for testing or access.
Over heating the fragile phenolic, plastic, or pressed paper terminal bridge can loosen it from the speaker basket. For the same reason (it melts the surrounding plastic) you never solder onto an enclosure terminal cup.
Over heating the terminal can loosen the terminal.
Over heating the terminal can cause the braided tinsel lead to conduct solder and lose its compliance over a portion of its length.
Under heating creates a cold solder joint and poor conductivity.
Boat building standards discourage any soldered termination when that termination is immobile, like into a circuit board.
With a little experience and a pencil tip solder gun (not that big pistol gun or small torch) you can master this with no problems. Why take the risk. Do your soldering on the removable connectors.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did anyone ever find out what the actual size of the Polk db651 connector was? is it 0.110?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am still surprised by this .........
One, you could take the speaker to your local Auto Parts supplier and find the correct crimped plug-on connector.

Better yet, spending ZERO Dollars, you can SOLDER the wires and never again have a problem.

???????????????????

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1) Don't have a solder gun
2) don't have the speakers yet

Trying to make sure i have the right size for when they arrive.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think it is a 2.8MM spade based on my observation during my recent Polk 651 install. I use these in my old VW.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good idea. When I install the new head unit, I may just do that, too...

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, I found that these speakers were not an exact fit--the OEM holes are cut a bit larger than needed. I was able to drill new holes for the top, but then had to use the included clips for the bottom. Here is what I did:

1. Remove old covers and speakers and discard
2. Create pigtails with the correct blade size for the OEM harness; solder the other end directly to the speaker leads
3. The speakers include a center screw hole at the top that is covered by the speaker cover. Align the speaker toward the top part of the speaker hole, and drill a pilot hole and then put a screw in the center hole, which will now hold the speaker in place
4. Drill pilot holes on each top right/left speaker, and screw into place with the cover in place now
5. Screw into the included clips, reaching behind the speaker to hold the clip in place (requires a little patience)

-Greg