• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk Audio Speaker connectors???

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought the Polks 651s and did the drop in replacement for the seaworthy speakers and love them, but one thing I ran into was that the Polks have one tiny connection post to hook the wires to. I just connected one side of the push on clip for now, and this has been fine for most of time, but occasionally one of my bow speakers will shake it loose. Anyone know who sells a tiny little slide on clip....or is there something obvious I'm missing that would be easier than ordering a tiny wire clip (and probably spending more in shipping than the clip costs!)

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Of course there is the metric equivalent for everything, but spade & blade connectors usually come in 1/8th, 3/16th & 1/4" sizes.
Just about every auto parts store sells these in small quantity packages. Every local car audio shop or store should have then also.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the Polks 651s and did the drop in replacement for the seaworthy speakers and love them, but one thing I ran into was that the Polks have one tiny connection post to hook the wires to. I just connected one side of the push on clip for now, and this has been fine for most of time, but occasionally one of my bow speakers will shake it loose. Anyone know who sells a tiny little slide on clip....or is there something obvious I'm missing that would be easier than ordering a tiny wire clip (and probably spending more in shipping than the clip costs!)
I did the same, and have not yet but expect to have issues with the more normal-sized clip coming off the miniature tab on the db651. Beside crimping the living hell out of the wire clip onto the speaker mini-tab, the proper way to make sure they don't come off is to solder the two together. IMHO. I have not yet done this, but will this season.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I definitely like crimping, soldering and heat shrinking the new connector onto the wire harness but I'll give you some caution when soldering directly onto the speaker terminals.
Makes R & R difficult.
The speaker terminals also have the tinsel leads soldered into them. By heating the terminal you can either loosen the tinsel lead or create a cold joint. So easy does it with a pencil tip iron where you can control the temp. Torches and solder guns??? Not so comfortable.
You also do not want to heat the flexible tinsel lead, or conduct solder into the tinsel lead, in a way that would alter its compliance.
Same heat concerns with the fragile phenolic strip that connects the + & - terminals to the basket.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I definitely like crimping, soldering and heat shrinking the new connector onto the wire harness but I'll give you some caution when soldering directly onto the speaker terminals.
Makes R & R difficult.
The speaker terminals also have the tinsel leads soldered into them. By heating the terminal you can either loosen the tinsel lead or create a cold joint. So easy does it with a pencil tip iron where you can control the temp. Torches and solder guns??? Not so comfortable.
You also do not want to heat the flexible tinsel lead, or conduct solder into the tinsel lead, in a way that would alter its compliance.
Same heat concerns with the fragile phenolic strip that connects the + & - terminals to the basket.
As I would expect, you said it better than I could (and did). That speaker terminal on the db651 was surprisingly small & delicate (read: flimsy)!
Very careful soldering with a small iron is the only way I would even attempt on that connection.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Of course there is the metric equivalent for everything, but spade & blade connectors usually come in 1/8th, 3/16th & 1/4" sizes.
Just about every auto parts store sells these in small quantity packages. Every local car audio shop or store should have then also.
I looked a while ago at Advance Auto Parts and didn't see any....but perhaps I'll look again....or elsewhere. Anyone know which size it is?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are correct blade connectors for speakers. However, I just squeeze my regular female blade connectors with some pliers to the clip on tight. Have had no issue doing this. Sometimes if the speaker has the extra small one it is worth finding the right size. Cam.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Polks have really tiny ones!
Smaller than the first one in the Crutchfield link? I've never seen one smaller on a speaker.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are correct blade connectors for speakers. However, I just squeeze my regular female blade connectors with some pliers to the clip on tight. Have had no issue doing this. Sometimes if the speaker has the extra small one it is worth finding the right size. Cam.
I do the same thing.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It might be easiest to solder the wire on. You could build a harness to solder on that has a normal connector 6" away. Cam.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so sorry for the delayed reply, here, but I ran into the same issue.

I put the blade between the connector and the insulator (on the flat side of the connector) and got a much more solid connection. No trouble with loosening yet. Of course, I mean to go back and fix it right with the right connector someday. It is on the list. The very, very long list...

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I squeezed the crimpers till my face turned red......tight enough!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It might be easiest to solder the wire on. :thumbsup: You could build a harness to solder on that has a normal connector 6" away. Cam.
The CORRECT answer. Soldering is the only effective answer. It replaces connections getting loose, Getting corroded, falling off.
A FAST and effective way to insure a great sounding system. And the tools to do it right cost less than $25 if purchased effectively.
Yes you can CRIMP tighter ............ Yes ....... you can "squeeze" more ....... But WHY for a $30,000 to $60,000 boat you're proud of.
CONSIDER soldering .. It's easy and effective and if anyone needs any help, pls PM me. I'ld be happy to help.
Hey ! Get ready for a bang-up weekend starting tomorrow ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@LyonsAR210 Installed the proper polk connectors this morning and now the bow occupants should remain happy all the time!

Also added a 12v outlet my the co-captain...so she'll have an additional charging optiion by her seat, and disconnected the stock depth finder as it appears to have completely bitten the dust over the winter. Screen is blank and it just alarms constantly. Wonder what I could put in its place???? (the spending continues!!!!!) LOL