• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk PA4A upgrade to Polk UM2?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got my new head unit back today. For the record, that thing was a pain to remove. The bracket they use is impossible to get to unless you have the arms of a 10yo. I decided to mount my new one with screws in the corners instead of using the bracket...... much easier.
I agree the difficult part for anyone working on this is the long threaded mounting brackets that use lock nuts . One is fairly easy to reach with a very small ratchet, tie a string to it if it falls it will disappear into the abyss . The second just needs to be loosened and the bracket can be rotated.

from what I have read is that the pa4a communicates with the Connext and the P1 has updated communication software that is not compatible . I’m not 100% sure but but check into that the easy work around is to just mount a remote near the helm . I connected two additional remotes to my pa4a one at the bow and relocated the not waterproof knob control to the passenger seat area filled the hole and covered it with a table mount and put the second water proof $20 push button remote up higher on the stern.

DmaxMike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree the difficult part for anyone working on this is the long threaded mounting brackets that use lock nuts . One is fairly easy to reach with a very small ratchet, tie a string to it if it falls it will disappear into the abyss . The second just needs to be loosened and the bracket can be rotated.

from what I have read is that the pa4a communicates with the Connext and the P1 has updated communication software that is not compatible . I’m not 100% sure but but check into that the easy work around is to just mount a remote near the helm . I connected two additional remotes to my pa4a one at the bow and relocated the not waterproof knob control to the passenger seat area filled the hole and covered it with a table mount and put the second water proof $20 push button remote up higher on the stern.
Thanks for the reply. Can you provide the model number for the remotes you added? I thought only the PA4A remote that’s in the stern would work and didn’t realize a different remote could control the system. Thanks

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. Can you provide the model number for the remotes you added? I thought only the PA4A remote that’s in the stern would work and didn’t realize a different remote could control the system. Thanks
Marc200 with Polk splitter prcyc1

check this thread most info is on page 2 and 3

there is no reason to change the head unit the single best thing you can add are eqs that allow additional control of the zones . I have 2 I can optimize the power delivery and volume to each area . Bow, cabin , tower sound bar with swim deck , tower 8” jl audio cans , subwoofers in cabin two 10” and 10” JL audio W7 (massive driver )

Relentless

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi, I came across the thread here, obviously having the same problem. But Yesterday I was installing some swim deck lights and accidentally unplugged it. I could not find the main plug now.. Seems like it dropped somewhere. Crazy thing is... . I thought now my radio isn't gonna work at all....but nope Everything thing is fine. So that's just a remote, correct... But yet it's the only way to delete bluetooth devices.. If you fill up your available devices, you can only delete them through the commander. Can you do that on the order remotes too. Like the Jensen or the polk PRC200BC.

MY other question is... Even if it does or doesn't and I just want to replace it or Asa replaces it.... Can I plug it directly to where the radio main unit is. I have the 2017 ar240. It located on the shelf behind the helm console. Thank you for your help.

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was able to remove BT devices from my Connext screen ('16 242 LS). On the audio menu, just press and hold your finger on the device you want to remove. The display will change and say "deleting device".

All of the chrome trim on my swim deck remote is flaking off and looks terrible. Is it worth calling ASA to see if they will send a replacement?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That chrome trim pops off take it off and paint it black

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
^^ What he said. ^^

Just sand the chrome off and paint it black.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2015 242 LS

Anyone have any luck replacing the remote for the PA4A? Mine is dead and contacted ASA but they said they are phasing them out and don’t have any more.
Would like to avoid a whole system replacement if possible….

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I replaced just the swim deck remote. Everything went smooth and worked great. And it fixed my constant rebooting issue. The nuts on the back side are a little hard to reach through the cup holder if you have large hands and forearms. I had my youngest daughter each through to do it.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I replaced just the swim deck remote. Everything went smooth and worked great. And it fixed my constant rebooting issue. The nuts on the back side are a little hard to reach through the cup holder if you have large hands and forearms. I had my youngest daughter each through to do it.
What did you replace it with and where did you get it from?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
What did you replace it with and where did you get it from?
Another PA4A that ASA gave me under warranty. I was also looking around in case they didn't cover it under warranty and there weren't many places that carried it anymore, so I would say them phasing it out is probably correct. I did ask when I spoke with ASA if the newer UM2 remote would work with the PA4A head unit, and it will not.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another PA4A that ASA gave me under warranty. I was also looking around in case they didn't cover it under warranty and there weren't many places that carried it anymore, so I would say them phasing it out is probably correct. I did ask when I spoke with ASA if the newer UM2 remote would work with the PA4A head unit, and it will not.
Thanks. I see a couple remotes that say they are compatible like the PRC100BC and PRC200BC but they’re a bit different. At least they don’t have knobs and are all buttons. Just not sure if the connectors are the same and have to check the size difference

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks. I see a couple remotes that say they are compatible like the PRC100BC and PRC200BC but they’re a bit different. At least they don’t have knobs and are all buttons. Just not sure if the connectors are the same and have to check the size difference
I'll run out to my shop and see if I still have my old one. I don't remember if I let it go with my boat when I sold it or not. It actually worked fine, but the screen was a little messed up. And it occasionally gave a rebooting message on the connext screen, but the radio or bluetooth never cut out, you just couldn't see any options on the screen to select.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll run out to my shop and see if I still have my old one. I don't remember if I let it go with my boat when I sold it or not. It actually worked fine, but the screen was a little messed up. And it occasionally gave a rebooting message on the connext screen, but the radio or bluetooth never cut out, you just couldn't see any options on the screen to select.
Ok thanks!

the problem I am having (I could actually care less about the remote, we never use it) is that the Bluetooth stopped pairing with new devices. I’ve heard that sometimes the Bluetooth can get flipped off and the only way to fix it is by turning it on via the remote.

I also tried holding down the dial button for the connext (touchscreen isn’t working, ordered but on back order surprise surprise) to delete existing devices but that isn’t working.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ok thanks!

the problem I am having (I could actually care less about the remote, we never use it) is that the Bluetooth stopped pairing with new devices. I’ve heard that sometimes the Bluetooth can get flipped off and the only way to fix it is by turning it on via the remote.

I also tried holding down the dial button for the connext (touchscreen isn’t working, ordered but on back order surprise surprise) to delete existing devices but that isn’t working.
I don't have it anymore, sorry.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have it anymore, sorry.
Well, I’ve always wanted to add an amp to this boat (already upgraded to wetsounds speakers) so maybe it’s time to do a full audio replacement. I don’t really even care about using the connext to control it if I can find somewhere convenient to mount the control.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those will work with the PA4A, but like you said, are different than the swim deck remotes. I added one up in the bow as an extra remote, ties in to the existing system quite easily.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Those will work with the PA4A, but like you said, are different than the swim deck remotes. I added one up in the bow as an extra remote, ties in to the existing system quite easily.
Thanks. I’m going to try that before I rip the entire thing out :)

lyrikz74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks!

My screen is dead on my 2016. Just last trip bluetooth stopped working and there is no way i can turn it back on. I had to order a new rear deck unit. 400 dollars later. Who is this ASA you guys talk about? Email address or phone number i can reach them?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My screen is dead on my 2016. Just last trip bluetooth stopped working and there is no way i can turn it back on. I had to order a new rear deck unit. 400 dollars later. Who is this ASA you guys talk about? Email address or phone number i can reach them?
ASA Electronics