• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possibly some new info on NMEA 2000 compatibility

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just was reading the whole thread and I don’t understand the technology. It was funny I never read something that sounded like the teacher in Charley Brown in my head before.
Wha wha mwa-mwa-mwa 2000 wha wha wha, 4 pin mwa mwa mwa

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

wicked1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t care about being right. Truly I don’t. I am trying to save everyone time and money. I live and breathe code and data on a much bigger scale and complexity for a living and have been for 18 years. Proprietary pgns will not be read without something to parse, decode, and foward them. Yes a “gateway” could do that but why go through the trouble of writing code on two sides of the house for a proprietary pgn when the code is already written for non proprietary? Well to keep it proprietary is the only reasonable answer.

I clearly understand what you are talking about but it is any different for a Simrad G07? According to Simrad they said their unit along with a special connector and data cable would display that information? It is relatively cheap for the adapter and cable but why spend $50.00 if I am only going to get speed, water temp, not worth connecting the two for just that?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I clearly understand what you are talking about but it is any different for a Simrad G07?
No different. Speed and water temp are available, but that is all. No other data matches nmea2k specs completely, so it will not be available to a "nmea2k compatible display", regardless of what Simrad says.

Phil Goshen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I built a custom canbus controller from an Arduino and MCP chip. I hooked it up to a laptop to parse out the NMEA serial data. Water temp, depth, and speed are all you will be able to get in standard N2K. The rest is proprietary N2K for Connext and the engine canbus is a separate Yamaha animal altogether . I did manage to decode the Connext jog dial commands on the proprietary side and did post that info in another post here. The NMEA 0183 going to the tach is the GPS antenna feeding into the tach which decodes it and outputs the speed. My goal was to build my own speed control system that plugged directly into the n2k connector and iterated the rpm cruise control buttons. I did it and it worked but not good enough. The 200 rpm steps and button iteration speed proved to proved to have too little resolution for smooth operation. I ended up buying Ridesteady. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying but unless you can build and code a controller to decode Proprietary NMEA and the proprietary Yamaha canbus for the jet boats which is different from their outboards I think it is pretty much a lost cause in the current crop of Yamaha jet boats.
I understand what your initial goal was but let me pose an alternative. Instead of trying create a device to control speeds, I think there is a very large market for those of us with pre-2015 boats that want to remove our tachs in place of putting a single screen in that shows the same info. If we scale the project to just creating a gateway module that interfaces and decodes the proprietary info into consumable NMEA2k standard format, I think it could be marketed to the masses. I would even help you with coding the project if you want to start something in github. Let me know if you are interested.

If you are not interested, perhaps you can share your schematic for creating the canbus controller. I am familiar with Arduino.

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Resurrecting an old thread here but curious if anyone has ever tried to use the Yamaha NMEA gateway for our boats. It's Yamaha part number 6Y9AD00000 and seems like it could be the piece to the puzzle that takes our engines and can translate all the info we want out to the newer plotters via NMEA. They are a few hundred bucks so I am not really interesting in buying one to test, but curious if anyone else has tried to use this? I haven't seen any other forum discussing this device uniquely so figured I would check.

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Resurrecting an old thread here but curious if anyone has ever tried to use the Yamaha NMEA gateway for our boats. It's Yamaha part number 6Y9AD00000 and seems like it could be the piece to the puzzle that takes our engines and can translate all the info we want out to the newer plotters via NMEA. They are a few hundred bucks so I am not really interesting in buying one to test, but curious if anyone else has tried to use this? I haven't seen any other forum discussing this device uniquely so figured I would check.
would that equate to one per engine I am assuming? ouch. It would be cool, but not that cool.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I beleive I saw on another thread somewhere that those were for the Yamaha Outboard Motors not the Jetboat Motors. Apparetnly Yamaha cant keep things universal...

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I beleive I saw on another thread somewhere that those were for the Yamaha Outboard Motors not the Jetboat Motors. Apparetnly Yamaha cant keep things universal...
This was my main concern but I hadn't seen that stated anywhere. I'd be willing to spend some money to get this all integrated, but still not sure why the engine didn't just stick to the standards in the first place.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That may or may not be the right item. That is a gateway module to translate from Yamaha Command Link or Command Link Plus to NMEA2k. There are many different communication protocols, and gateways are the devices that enable communication across protocols by acting as a translator, essentially. So we would need a gateway that can translate from whatever protocol Yamaha uses on our engines.

IF that protocol turns out to be command link plus, which it may very well be, then that gateway would work. If our protocol is anything other than command link plus, that gateway probably won't work.

Problem is, nobody wants to invest the money to find out and Yamaha is not very open about our system other than to say it's Connext. Now,it's possible that Connext itself may be the protocol, created, owned and used by Yamaha for our boats, just like Command Link and Command Link Plus is the protocol on the outboards. If that's the case, then someone just needs to create a translator (gateway) to translate from Connext to NMEA2k.

At least that's what I've been able to surmise based on a moderate amount of research.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The gray 4 pin cap is the n2k. The main difference between nmea 0183 and n2k is the baud rate and becuase of the lower baud rate in nmea 0183 there is less data. Connext acts as a translator for all of the canbus protocols and the nmea 0183 is insterted in the n2k stream.
@Mainah So from your info it sounds like these boats already have a N2k bus, but other then depth, water temp, and speed (is that from the GPS?) everything else is put in non-defined PGN sentences, is this correct? How did you connect your laptop?

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah So from your info it sounds like these boats already have a N2k bus, but other then depth, water temp, and speed (is that from the GPS?) everything else is put in non-defined PGN sentences, is this correct? How did you connect your laptop?
The depth, water temp and speed all come from the transducer package which is airmar (I think). What I have been hoping to link in to are the things like the engine metrics and fuel levels. For me it's all about trying to get the data centralized in one unit as opposed to multiples though admittedly it's not a huge issue.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The depth, water temp and speed all come from the transducer package which is airmar (I think). What I have been hoping to link in to are the things like the engine metrics and fuel levels. For me it's all about trying to get the data centralized in one unit as opposed to multiples though admittedly it's not a huge issue.
Yes I have the same long term goal, but trying to learn what is present first. The transducer outputs NMEA2k, what is it connected to on the other end? Is the transducer plugging into a backbone?

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I have the same long term goal, but trying to learn what is present first. The transducer outputs NMEA2k, what is it connected to on the other end? Is the transducer plugging into a backbone?
Good question and I can't say I know for sure. My guess is that it goes directly to the connext unit and it acts as the collector of all the feeds from the engine, fuel, battery and transducer. I have never seen anything like a nmea2k backbone in the boat anywhere.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Good question and I can't say I know for sure. My guess is that it goes directly to the connext unit and it acts as the collector of all the feeds from the engine, fuel, battery and transducer. I have never seen anything like a nmea2k backbone in the boat anywhere.
Thats interesting, my boat isn’t even delivered yet (3 weeks to go), I plan to poke a round in there and see if I can get to that data.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thats interesting, my boat isn’t even delivered yet (3 weeks to go), I plan to poke a round in there and see if I can get to that data.
Since your getting an FSH the transducer data you would get is less then you would get from a Fish Finder since that would also give you dept which the FSH does not even have built in since they assume most people would install a fish finder.