• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Price help - new 2021 ar210

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You can do a comparison on the Yamaha website of the 210 vs 212 and see most of the differences. We found a few extras that Yamaha doesn't mention like nicer aluminum wheels, nicer Polk speakers including 2 on the swim platform, etc. One of the biggest things for me is the joystick control - I think all boats should have this, great feature.

LakeErieJB129

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the bench seat on the ar210, where the 2nd captains chair would go, just pop out or is it installed pretty good? Just wondering if that is something that could come out easily if need be.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Comes out really easy. If we keep our boat this year and not go to the 25', I will be doing that mod in the spring. I am also going to make it so I can switch them out when I desire. To have either the bench or the chair if need be.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Comes out really easy. If we keep our boat this year and not go to the 25', I will be doing that mod in the spring. I am also going to make it so I can switch them out when I desire. To have either the bench or the chair if need be.
That would be a cool mod...best of both worlds.

Svannorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can do a comparison on the Yamaha website of the 210 vs 212 and see most of the differences. We found a few extras that Yamaha doesn't mention like nicer aluminum wheels, nicer Polk speakers including 2 on the swim platform, etc. One of the biggest things for me is the joystick control - I think all boats should have this, great feature.
Thanks. I've done the comparison on the site and it calls them out clearly. Just don't know the impact to them all until you own the boat :). it's a $14K difference after tax. I know the biggest cost is the engines. Is the power worth 10K? ... thanks again

Svannorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You going to buy the same chair to match or the nicer chair (212s and x) with the arm rests?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haven't really decided on which chair.

As far as is it worth it.... That would be dependent on your use case. I have never been limited into what we do and we do a ton of watersports. Also we boat on the great lakes a lot and on Lake St. Clair, never really going full out, it is rarely calm out there.

Those whom own 212's swear by the bigger engine. Those who own the 210's love them as well. All depends on how you plan to use the boat and what like. If we decide to upgrade this year or the next it will be for the larger size. I would not upgrade from the 210 I have to a 212, the extra funds doesn't justify what I would be getting for how we boat. But that is easy for me, since I have a boat already to compare to.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Shhh
Thanks. I've done the comparison on the site and it calls them out clearly. Just don't know the impact to them all until you own the boat :). it's a $14K difference after tax. I know the biggest cost is the engines. Is the power worth 10K? ... thanks again
Not sure Regarding power from the 210 to 212 but I went from a Ar190 to the 212 huge difference.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's a subjective question...you REALLY need to get a look at both boats to see/feel the differences. Some won't find the extras worth it because they don't need/want the features or they prefer the layout differences, others will like the features and want them, hence the choice. I can tell you that we looked at lots of brands and models and initially we didn't think it was worth it on paper, but once we got on the boat we felt it was well worth the price difference - if you're financing, the payments are only about $30 higher. I spend more than that on a bottle of whiskey.
🥃
Here's some differences, the 1800 engines are definitely more powerful. But there's a lot of other features that you can't appreciate until you see/use them, like the tower pin locks which secure the tower upright better than the thumbscrews, the beefier tower that can handle more torsional forces during wake sports, 7" screen, joystick (gotta say it again, LOVE this feature), nicer buckets with armrests, entertainment center with locking glovebox, marine mats instead of carpet (this was another big one for us, the mats are REALLY worth it), little things like aluminum instead of plastic handles, stainless and chrome trim, headlights for night docking, speakers on the swim platform, dual batteries and switches for worry-free starting on the water, built-in maps to assist with safe navigation, etc. It's not just a seat and engines...it's a different boat model.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not sure Regarding power from the 210 to 212 but I went from a Ar190 to the 212 huge difference.
Single to twin is a huge difference, TR-1 to 1800 is a nice difference, but less huge as both are twin engine models.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Removing the bench seat will be something that can be done. Making them "switchable"...IMO, that's gonna be a whole different story, and I think you're going to find it to be nowhere near as optimal as envisioned, You have a newer model than mine, so your mounting of the bench may be different, not sure on that, but it would seem to me to be unworthy for Yamaha to change this, so I'm simply assuming that yours is the same as mine, and why I'm mentioning this to you.

The bench simply rests on an aluminum rod on the front edge of the seat, kinda like a closet rod holding up a shelf. The back edge of the seat is where I believe you're going to encounter issues with your plans. There are 2 bolts that are connected underneath to keep the back edge of the seat from flopping up and down. Mine somehow lost the retainers for those bolts, and unless those bolts slip easily/cleanly back into the holes every time, you're going to damage that area of the boat. I believe re-fastening them every time will prove to be a colossal PITA and more difficult than it's worth.

For your consideration and @LakeErieJB129 's question, here's how the bench seat is attached on a 2019. This also should show why I decided to attach mine more securely, and why I don't think switching the seats will be as easy a proposition, although I'd like to see ideas on how to do it (I'd like the option too! LOL) https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-136#post-472783

===========================================================================================

To the OP, @212s and @HangOutdoors have some good advice, it really is NOT just as simple as engines and a seat. I originally wanted a 212X. I was never considering a 212S. We went to a boat show to see all of them side-by-side. The increase in power comes with an increase in fuel cost, and NONE of these boats will be lacking enough power - unless you have a reason to need additional power. My wife liked the bench seat and didn't want the captain's chair. I wanted a captain's chair, but had no issues with swapping over from bench to chair later, if she changed her mind. Changing from chair to bench, however, seemed like something I'd never undertake, once I had the boat. Did I need the ballast system of the X, for the increase in cost? We have some time before the grandkids will utilize it, so I have some time to decide if the increase in cost/added systems/complexity is worth it to me. Onboard maps have to be updated, I've never been comfortable with building in additional cost to me down the road, add it to the downside column to me...all this to say, if you're asking questions that can't be decided by looking at the specs on paper, then you really need to see them all in person. You cannot tell if the larger screens, joysticks, lack of a crapper, docking lights...there's too much to consider without seeing them in person.

Take something to write notes, and then tell the salesman to show it to you on one of the other models. That'll be your best way to see differences. Make the guy earn your money - you're spending FIFTY GRAND, he can afford to give you a few minutes of his time to help you make a more-informed decision.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There are 2 bolts that are connected underneath to keep the back edge of the seat from flopping up and down.
Would it be possible to put in pegs with spring cotter pins to make it more "swappable"?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe, I was thinking about that, or crafting something with the printer. Soon as the weather breaks and I can swap covers on it, it will be more accessible for me to come up with something, if possible.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would it be possible to put in pegs with spring cotter pins to make it more "swappable"?
The bolts (studs? not sure what they are) are buried in the seat itself, and they slide into holes in the ledge on the backside. The problem is if they're not fastened securely, like mine weren't initially, the bolt will work like a saw and enlarge the holes. The cotter pins may or may not hold securely enough, but in my case, the issue was how difficult it was to access the area. Even if it's something that will slide in easily, like the cotter pin, I had to contort myself into the storage area to reach the front one, and the rear one was even more difficult to access. Maybe with a small child that could easily fit in there... LOL

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe, I was thinking about that, or crafting something with the printer. Soon as the weather breaks and I can swap covers on it, it will be more accessible for me to come up with something, if possible.
Seriously, I think this would be an interesting project for many. The problem-solving minds around here are a great asset, I'd say starting a separate thread for idea-gathering might help too.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Svannorman You just need to determine what is important to you and understand whatever you spend you owe.

The cosmetic and comfort upgrades aren't big things in my world to spend money on. Usability is what I care about. And both models give you the same usability. A nicer finish and some electronic upgrades doesn't really promote that for increased spend, for us. The bigger engines means I can go 7-9 miles an hour faster. Again, doesn't benefit us the way we use our boat.

Getting the family out of the house and on the water, was what was most important. I could of done it in a 19' footer, but was concerned that was a bit small for the Great Lakes and LSC with the chop. Of course I had no common frame of reference to make that assumption.

For usability, watersports etc., the additional cost of the 212s or better wasn't going to happen. When I have bought a new truck, it is usually an XLT with a 203b package. Never had any higher trim level.

It is a balance, between what you want to do with your boat, how much you really want to spend and what other things are important enough to you to either upgrade or downgrade. If the items that 212 has are Important to you and are need to haves, than go for it.

With that being said, I do wish it would be easier to mount a trolling motor on it. I have come up with a couple of designs on my own and from here on these boards, and whichever way I go, it will be a PITA I am sure.

I actually wanted the 210 FSH, but somehow I was out voted by the admiral and the crew........

Still kicking around a AR250 just because of the amount of time we now spend on the Great Lakes, which to be honest I wouldn't have guessed we would. But we will see how the spring looks and if there are any around when the time comes. TBH, I just really want to get out in April and do some fishing.

Each individual needs to determine what is important to them.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Svannorman You just need to determine what is important to you and understand whatever you spend you owe.

Each individual needs to determine what is important to them.
I agree, that's always my point...figure out what YOU need and buy accordingly. That's why there's so many choices and options available as everyone has different needs and wants.