• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rain water up to oil filters

Gwade8808

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys, Ave a 15 AR242 and had the boat out last Sep then shatterd my foot in a motocross accident. I was on a scooter for 4 months and just got to where I can finally wear a shoe and limp around again. I made it out to get the boat and discovered the drain plug clogged and the engine bay was flooded up to the bottom of the oil filters. I have no idea how long it's been this way or how long it took FL rains to fill it up that much. I have always kept it pristine so im a little beside myself and writing this as the boat drains. What all should I prepare for? I know I just need to get in there and dig around just hoping maybe someone has been here done that? As seasoned boater I knew it was going to be rough letting her sit, just never expected this..

Oil looks fresh and shows no signs of water intrusion. I have oil and plugs on hand so they will be changed regardless. Assuming at a min I'm looking at starters intermediate shaft bearings, oil and air filters. What else should I look/prepair for. If all else fails I'll just open some burbon and stare at it lol. Thanks guys!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you’re progressing along well. Check for a waterline in the engine compartment to see how high the water might have gotten to at one point. If it didn’t make it into the engine via the dipstick, oil filter or air intake, I would suspect you’re in the clear. Enjoy the bourbon!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your hoof… what boots were you wearing?

As @sunbyrned said look for a water line in the engine bay to see what components were affected.. was the engine bay full of mold to?

What was the hull drain plug clogged with? I’m curious how rain water was getting into the engine bay in the first place.. but that is for later.

Sounds like you will need to wash the engine bay to remove all the funk, install the drain plug, get 5 gallon buckets of hot water with dawn dish soap and fill the bilge up to where there is plenty of water in there. Next hook up the boat and go drive around for 30 mins, dump the hot soapy water out and rinse with hot water. Asses to see if you need to now add hot soapy water and using a soft brush rub down everything in the bilge and rinse thoroughly. Let dry and then inspect for corrosion etc and clean as necessary.

Next I would go through all of the electrical connections, pull them apart, clean with contact cleaner like CRC Lectra Motive, blow dry and check for corrosion, clean if necessary, spray with silicone spray, or better yet pack them with die electric grease.

There is nothing to be done about possible corrosion inside the engine, but pulling the plugs will give you an idea if that is an issue. The fact your oil doesn’t look milky is a good sign.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The starter and the oil filter are about on the same line but marine starters after they dry should still work..............it's possible corrosion will get you at start up but theirs a good chance it will be just fine.

Like sunbyned says just change the oil you should be ok..............Good luck

Gwade8808

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

As @sunbyrned said look for a water line in the engine bay to see what components were affected.. was the engine bay full of mold to?

What was the hull drain plug clogged with? I’m curious how rain water was getting into the engine bay in the first place.. but that is for later.

Sounds like you will need to wash the engine bay to remove all the funk, install the drain plug, get 5 gallon buckets of hot water with dawn dish soap and fill the bilge up to where there is plenty of water in there. Next hook up the boat and go drive around for 30 mins, dump the hot soapy water out and rinse with hot water. Asses to see if you need to now add hot soapy water and using a soft brush rub down everything in the bilge and rinse thoroughly. Let dry and then inspect for corrosion etc and clean as necessary.

Next I would go through all of the electrical connections, pull them apart, clean with contact cleaner like CRC Lectra Motive, blow dry and check for corrosion, clean if necessary, spray with silicone spray, or better yet pack them with die electric grease.

There is nothing to be done about possible corrosion inside the engine, but pulling the plugs will give you an idea if that is an issue. The fact your oil doesn’t look milky is a good sign.
You guys are awesome! As far as the boots, they were Tech 7's. It was totally my fault. The leading edge of my pegs were worn and my foot even slipped off a few times. Being me I had to put in "one more lap" lol. Live and learn. I have the entire engine bay in a "shout soak" at the moment and will spray it off shortly but I like your soapy water idea. If you guys have never used "shout" give it a try. Its non corrosive and cleans everything very well. I use it on the dirt bikes, boat, mowers, anything really. Just Google "shout soak". looks like I caught the water at the highest point so at least I have that going for me. I will definitely hit everything with contact cleaner and try the Dielectric grease. What do you guys think about the shaft bearings? Much appreciated!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You guys are awesome! As far as the boots, they were Tech 7's. It was totally my fault. The leading edge of my pegs were worn and my foot even slipped off a few times. Being me I had to put in "one more lap" lol. Live and learn. I have the entire engine bay in a "shout soak" at the moment and will spray it off shortly but I like your soapy water idea. If you guys have never used "shout" give it a try. Its non corrosive and cleans everything very well. I use it on the dirt bikes, boat, mowers, anything really. Just Google "shout soak". looks like I caught the water at the highest point so at least I have that going for me. I will definitely hit everything with contact cleaner and try the Dielectric grease. What do you guys think about the shaft bearings? Much appreciated!
Ah, yeah that happens, I had a set of the early Tech 7’s, I slid out at a National Hare and Hound race up in Wendover UT and really messed up my left foot and it got pulled under my leg, while my leg was flat on the ground.. that one took a long time to heal, and I went to Tech 8’s after that and that is all I have worn since.

The shaft bearings should be okay, they are sealed. Hopefully there is no or very little rust everywhere else and no mold. Let us know how the plugs look when you pull them out. I’m assuming you had not fogged the engine before its long hiatus?

Gwade8808

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

And no clue what it was clogged with. I didn't really see anything come out. I just grabbed the plug and jiggled it and water came gushing out. The cover is on its last leg and I could see where the rain water was pooling in the back seat area. We have had alot of rain here in FL but it's hard to imagine that much backing up inside the boat. I did notice the sound deadening foam let go and was all over the engine bay. Maybe that had something to do with it? Will definitely need to flush everything.

Gwade8808

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ah, yeah that happens, I had a set of the early Tech 7’s, I slid out at a National Hare and Hound race up in Wendover UT and really messed up my left foot and it got pulled under my leg, while my leg was flat on the ground.. that one took a long time to heal, and I went to Tech 8’s after that and that is all I have worn since.

The shaft bearings should be okay, they are sealed. Hopefully there is no or very little rust everywhere else and no mold. Let us know how the plugs look when you pull them out. I’m assuming you had not fogged the engine before its long hiatus?
Sounds painful! It sure doesn't take much DOES IT LOL. Wife thinks im crazy for still wanting to ride but its a hard thing to replace. I'm going to give the SIDI Crosfires a try. I like the hinged ankle but also has lockouts so it can only flex so far. They feel broke in right out of the box. As for fogging, no unfortunately. We boat through OCT and usually do a Christmas parade so the boat was not ready for long term storage at all. I'm just glad it had ethanol free in it. If it ever stops raining I'll pull the plugs and keep you guys posted! Thanks again