• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear Anchor

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I've decided that due to our Texas wind I'm going to need a rear anchor to stop swinging. I've been getting away with it because I usually have plenty of room, but with our drought the coves are getting tight and I don't want to be "the guy" getting into others space.
25' 252SD and it would be on muddy bottom; not shore-anchored. What are y'all using?

I have been using a sand Spike for my rear anchor when I am in shallow water or beaching up the boat. I just recently purchased a small box anchor to test it out and that sucker held awesome tying up the stern of the boat.
There was a very strong current that ran parallel to the shore, so I dropped by Bow anchor(Fluke style) and let that grab, and then slowly moved the boat over to be perpendicular to the shore and dropped the box anchor. Held all day in the current with not even an inch movement. My bottom was all sand, so not sure if it would have the same effect in the mud but i was impressed.
I will be switching the Box anchor to the Bow and getting a baby anchor for the stern to complement the Shore Spike.

i've been real happy with the baby box anchor (and anchor buddy line) as my bow anchor for my 240 in our muddy bottom lakes.
i've been thinking of throwing the starter kit fluke style in boat for stern anchoring...also have a sandshark screw in spike for shore.
if they made a smaller than baby sized box, i'd grab one for stern duties

Most of the time we boat in rivers that are mostly mud bottoms and I use a 12lb navy anchor & chain for the rear if I'm in deeper water and I want to keep the boat from swaying side to side.

Thanks y'all. I think I'll go with the Baby Box Anchor for the rear. If it turns out not to work, I have a buddy who will buy it so it's worth a try. I had a bigger box anchor on my old 24' tritoon and it held well.

I use the large box anchor for the bow and a small one for the stern - works great.

The baby box anchor is a solid choice for deeper waters, but may be a walking hazard at wading depths.

Many boaters that we hang out with at the sand bar up river use a 48" fiberglass utility/soil probe with a line looped or tied to the T-handle. It pushes into the sand easily and holds without any issues. I haven't tried it, but I've seen it hold large pontoons, a 23' Sea Ray SPX, and others without an issue in current and pop-up t-storm winds.

I have been using a 10# (or maybe 15# I can't remember) navy anchor on a 6-9 foot bungee line for shallow depths, and it works great for the rear of the 190. I'm not sure that set up would be ideal for the weight and wind profile of the 252.

Back