• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repeller Grates, going to try them out.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since no one else has tried them out I’m gonna buy and try them out I’ll let you know what happens I contacted the company today.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry if I missed a post/tread, but what’s the catalyst for trying the Repeller grates?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
He boats in the Keys (I think), lots of weeds down there.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Keys. Dixie is correct. When the wind blows and the sea weed is bad it is torture simply torture.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got it. I first looked at your location and saw NY. I failed to connect your other post about the keys.

Interested to hear about your results. I was out in the gulf a few months back, North of Tampa and had a terrible time with the weeds.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m back in NY for a bit. This Covid crap is the reason. But I’m gonna put them on and see if I have any other issues well I have a boat around my house.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Liveto99 , please post a link to or pics of the repeller grates.

Some of my past jet boats had anti clogging grates as I call them with varying degrees of success. For instance my seadoo challenger came with a surge grate, basically a grate whose tines were mounted to a hinge at the front end but were not connected at all to the hull or each other at the tail ends (like the times of a fork). The hinge was spring loaded so when debris got stuck on the grate, the tines would fold inward toward the shaft and allow the debris to pass through and get alices by the impeller. It was nice in theory but tines would often break off and get stuck in the pump, damage the impeller, etc. another problem is that sometimes they would allow large rocks or floating debris / wood into the pump.

I switched the surge grate out with a rock grate. This was simply a standard grate whose tines where connected at the front and rear but which had more than twice as many tines as a start grate and the tines were very close together so no large debris could pass through them and into the pump. I found that this grate clogged more easily with vegetation but never had a problem with rock ingestion.

Finally seadoo came up with a cockpit switch activate grate similar similar the the surge grate but whose tines would fold/hinge outward away from the hull. The idea being that when activated the debris stuck on the grate would slide off the tines and Under the stern instead of through the pump. I don’t know how successful that was but believe it was a feature on some of seadoos last boat models.

Now some non yamaha jet boats like scarab have a sheath around the shaft that is supposed to help with issues caused be debris. These seem to work well with preventing lines from getting bound up on the shaft but I’ve read about a few problems with the shaft ends getting damaged and causing cavitation.

if someone has come up with a solution that actually works I would consider installing them on my boat. Although I don’t have to clear the pumps through the clean out ports often, i would like to do it less if I can.

for context here is a link to a short video I posted years ago

johhnyboat

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
sorry for bringing up a dead post but was there any update? How did it work out?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t know my boat is in Islamorada and I’m upstate New York. I’m supposed to have an FX limited Waverunner in June but who knows how that is going. Hopefully in May I’m gonna go down and use my boat. I don’t think , I know I’m not gonna change the grate Soon.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In most situations with weeds you just need to learn the reverse move even with the e series boats I even do it with the e series type reverse hoods on the new p w c's just do a search on the reverse move . You will very seldom need to open the clean out hatch again.

redeye5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since no one else has tried them out I’m gonna buy and try them out I’ll let you know what happens I contacted the company today.
Well? Anyone tried these? I'm super curious if they work or waste of $$$

redeye5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In most situations with weeds you just need to learn the reverse move even with the e series boats I even do it with the e series type reverse hoods on the new p w c's just do a search on the reverse move . You will very seldom need to open the clean out hatch again.
What is the "reverse move"?

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Now you got me thinking if I should be bringing my boat down to Naples

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Liveto99 Did you ever Test out the Repeller Grates? I boat only in the keys too. Most of the Time I can deal with the Sargassum without an issue but it does wear on you, I also have gotten stuck in a in some very large patches that I could not avoid.