• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Yamaha SX230 / AR230 Aqua Signal Horn - Also using solder and shrink tube

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many Yamaha Boat models use this same horn.

Mine made a sound that my kids described as a pterodactyl crying. The replacement sounds more like a duck quacking and is significantly louder.

This is the replacement part which I found on Amazon for $35 Aqua Signal Dual Tone Electronic Hidden Horn (White). It is the newer 844017 model that is supposed to have a Gore-tex seal to keep it dry. The old and the new both had stickers on them that said "Waterproof". The original was part number 84422-1.

Yamaha_SX230_Aqua_Signal_Horn.jpg

I removed the two screws that held the factory horn in place. The screws provided with the replacement are smaller so you will want to reuse the factory screws. Then I disconnected the wiring at the crimp connectors. The wiring harness wires are short so please be careful to avoid them falling back into the boat.

I removed the metal cover from the factory horn and reused it with this new one.

The next step of soldering and shrink tubing is unnecessary but it is my preferred way of making low voltage connections so I thought I would share. It also preserved the original wire length. As an alternative you could simply crimp new connectors onto the new horns shorter wires.

I cut the wires from the old horn at a length that once added to the new horn would be the same length as the original assembly. I had them side by side when I made this cut. Then I slid a small piece of shrink tubing over each wire and a third over both wires together. I moved the shrink tubing as far away as possible from where I would be soldering. Then I twisted the wires together and applied the iron and solder. I kept the iron on the wire until the wire sucked the solder in creating a solid bond.

Wires_Soldered.jpg

I am using a Portasol 011289250 which is a 75 watt adjustable gas powered soldering iron. I have a couple of electric soldering irons both large and small but I really like the convenience of this little gas powered iron. It also has torch tips which I will use with the shrink tubing.

Then I pulled the shrink tubing over the solder joints and carefully switched to a torch tip.

Ready_To_Shrink.jpg

I carefully shrank the tubing on each joint keeping the flame back from the wires and shrink tubing. I have a heat gun but this is a quick easy way to do it.

First_Layer_Shrunk.jpg

I like to apply an additional layer of shrink tubing over the combined wires. This layer is longer and adds strength and protection to the joints.

Second_Layer_Shrunk.jpg

Now that I have an assembly that matches what the factory used I installed the factory metal cover and ran the factory screws through the horn and its gasket. The new gasket includes adhesive. I removed the backing paper from the gasket and used the screws to keep it in place as I installed the horn. I removed the horn and took this picture of the gasket attached to the hull.

Gasket_Applied.jpg

This is a picture of the horn installed.

Yamaha_SX230_Replacement_Horn_Installed.jpg

I looked for an alternative horn since I have heard of so many failures. I did not find anything that would fit in the same spot. So I plan to see how long a new horn lasts. Even if I have to replace it every year it is a $35 and less than 10 minutes job.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up and install. Mine just died, so I very much appreciate this!

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This reminded me that I disconnected my horn. For the second time it started "bleeding" as if it was barely being turned on and very gradually getting louder. Last time, I disconnected the ground for a few weeks then reconnected it and it worked normally. It's been disconnected for a few more weeks this time. I just reconnected it and no problems, but I'm guessing it's headed out. I have an old air horn I'm thinking about hooking up...with kids that could be :mad: though.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bucks448 , it sounds like you need to replace your horn switch. The horn should not have power unless the switch is depressed .

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bucks448 , it sounds like you need to replace your horn switch. The horn should not have power unless the switch is depressed .
True, but it's very inconsistent. I need to pull the switch and take a look.

Gadget35

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering Bruce the one on my AR230 is a dual tone i see that one say single what were your results after hearing was it a dual tone like OEM one??

David

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was wondering Bruce the one on my AR230 is a dual tone i see that one say single what were your results after hearing was it a dual tone like OEM one??

David
It does change tone. It always sounds the same.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perfect! My factory horn failed within the first two years and have had to keep a whistle on the boat. Added to the list for repairs... Thanks @Bruce !

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
i just found out most of the time what fails is the switch i change my horn a couple of years ago and it quit too, last monday i deceided to replace all the worn out switches with led rockers found on ebay all of the sodden my horn works like new, attached is a pic of 1 of the switches i replaced all music lights bilge fan etchornr.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i just found out most of the time what fails is the switch i change my horn a couple of years ago and it quit too, last monday i deceided to replace all the worn out switches with led rockers found on ebay all of the sodden my horn works like new, attached is a pic of 1 of the switches i replaced all music lights bilge fan etcView attachment 82024
so in theory I should be able to just go behind the helm and jump the posts to see if my horn works? I'm not at my boat right now and my horn went from dying to dead a few years ago,

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas you can pull the horn with just a couple of external screws. Pull it out and connect to a battery to see if it works.

I am surprised that a switch failed. That is uncommon and unlikely to be your problem.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
yes me too, i was about to go and buy another horn but the switches on my 07 were faded, so none knew which switches was which but me so i decided to change them all and it works im just waiting for the nav/ anch switch that needs to be on off on.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes me too, i was about to go and buy another horn but the switches on my 07 were faded, so none knew which switches was which but me so i decided to change them all and it works im just waiting for the nav/ anch switch that needs to be on off on.
Did you know that you can replace the switch actuators? Just pop the old ones off and the new ones on.

Glad it fixed your horn.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you get the new switches? Ours are faded terribly too.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where did you get the new switches? Ours are faded terribly too.
You don’t need new switches. Just change the actuators (covers).

You can buy them from many places or even have them custome printed.