• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repower 2004 AR210 with MR-1 HO's

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
cleaned up some more wiring, prepped the 18 pin connector for surgery... got tired of wiring after a few hours and decided to pop in the Auto/Manual halon system... Mounted the cylinder between the engines on the forward wall... ran the pull cable and used the old choke cable bracket I made for the system charged indicator light and manual pull handle... space it tight bit I got all the placards in as well with some adaptation... also started work on the console dry storage hatches... gonna pull a mold of the top and bottom of the hatches and make them out of fiberglass the just get old and shatter... I had a perfect one just shatter today I have i good one left out of 4... also put in the filler plates for the unused gauge holes... and hooked up the oil pressure tubing...

attachment - 2022-03-26T201337.714.jpgattachment - 2022-03-26T201345.095.jpgattachment - 2022-03-26T201351.664.jpgattachment - 2022-03-26T201403.295.jpgattachment - 2022-03-26T201414.169.jpgattachment - 2022-03-26T201429.672.jpgattachment - 2022-03-26T201440.971.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Waiting patiently for the maiden voyage

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well it was kinda anticlimactic... 2 engines and at least 2 problems...

Big Thanks to Robb235 as his security disable is spot on... and my Walboro based fuel system works flawlessly

YDS says Port engine has a bad intake temp sensor or signal error... will diagnose, Starboard engine has no ECU comms, so its wiring harness or ECU.

I dont think I have a spare intake temp sensor (sensor assembly (MAP/Temp) but I have two known good ECU's. new sensor assembly's are are $200 and 200 days out from Yamaha, I found a couple used ones on ebay... ill test the wiring and the sensor... for the ECU its easiest to swap it first.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I had the Six10 out I put a false floor outa 1/4" Coosa board in so that this compartment will drain into the bilge...

attachment - 2022-03-27T133315.321.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
dug into the port engine today after work... pulled the airbox and found a bad injector o ring on #3 leaking... replaced that. reseated the Sensor assembly plug... It didnt seem loose... ran out of day light will check the status with YDS in the morning. If its still bad I can yank the starboard engine sensor and see if that helps.. the used sensors shipped. I checked my spares and I dont have one... I also dug out the box of ECU's

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok starboard engine is not a dead ECU it is some type of wire harness issue... All 4 ECU's work in the Port engine harness... and the port engine all 4 ECU's show a bad inlet temp sensor... with either sensor so im suspicious of a wire harness issue there as well... ill check the signals back through the harness starting with the starboard engine YDS 3 signal lines... and then ECU power and ground... for the Port engine Ill check the 4 wires back out of the injector harness then through to the ECU... any other ideas? i have 2 more presumed good but unknown wire harnesses and an injector harness or 2... swapping a wire harness is a tedious job but unless i find a bad connector or pin i guess thats what im up against... and I suppose i can ohm them out before replace anything from spares... UGGGG

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok I know what is wrong with starboard engine ECM comms I just need o find out where... I have 10V on the B/O ground pin at the YDS connector and I have 2.6K ohms to ground on that same wire with no power... port engine is 0V and 0.0 ohms on that pin... This looks like OBD pins and one is 13.1V and the other is 4.3 V which on a VM is about right I'd need a O scope to see the pulses and the B/O is ground... that's consistent with the port engine which I can talk to the ECU. 3-4 mA is the draw and the lack of ground is messing up the voltage RX side of the OBD UART TX... wow its been a while since I had to worry about this kind of stuff... o, guessing SAE J1850 VPW 0 low 3.5 threshold 7 max would make the ave voltage around 4?

the signal pin ohms out to the correct on on the ECU...

If i read the print right there are 2 connectors that collect the B/O wires in the harness so I can ohm out each one and check for voltage... Im guessing a chaffed wire somewhere... against a hot... I'll try tracing it out tomorrow and I can always use jumpers to eliminate that pin and send a real ground... Ugg this is all just supposed to work :(

Last edited:

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Half of this thread is me trying to stop my head spinning while reading it. Some serious work you're putting into your boat, very impressive.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok if found a couple errors In the engine harness wiring diagram on the Black/Orange ground wires and connectors... (In FX and FX HO diagrams) these are generally the signal/sensor grounds. anywho I have one harness (stbd that has 10V on the YDS ground pin (and the entire ground system) when key switch "on" that engine ive traced it so far to 2 pins in the 10 pin B/O bussbar connector... an issue with the cam sensor and possibly the noise filter... also tip over switch in that harness was faulty... that harness is a mess... might just replace with spare... Port engine looks to have broken wires in the sensor array plug... ohming out now otherwise healthy according to YDS...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well its not the sensor or the injector harness... its down stream between the connector and the ECU or the ECU itself... tracing now... and i have a minor fuel leak in the fuel rail...

also YDS wants to see the white wire to the engine stop grounded in order to run static tests...

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
also YDS wants to see the white wire to the engine stop grounded in order to run static tests...
Wait, what? Grounding out the white wire is what kills the engine. I'd say something is definitely wrong if YDS isn't running the stationary tests unless you basically have the kill switch pulled.

Did these engines ever run with their current harness since they've been in your possession?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no these are used harnesses... two harnesses that came with the dead FX cruiser HO and I got two more harnesss off ebay... the harnesses are pretty well designed they bring all the B/O signal grounds to a couple buss bars and the red/oranges, black and such... i have 2 6B6 ecus and 2 6P6 ECU...
I can talk to all the ECU's in the port harness and none of them in the Starboard harness... as there is 10V on the ground in that harness... Im just gonna replace it with a spare...

I think I have the port engine sorted out ill know more when i trace the final runs of the IAT/MAP sensor back to the ECU pins.... Ive also found a number of places where the Print is NOT exactly the same as the harness...

I had some fuel issues on the port side.... a bad o-ring in the fuel rail. on #3. and a leak on the inlet to the fuel rail... ill get it ... ive just been busy with work and we announced the new GRACE CPU and Hopper GPU and a bunch of other things...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok i had a few fuel leaks in the port injection setup so I replaced all the o-rings and added an extra larger one underneath the fuel rail... also revised my 3/8-5/16 step-downs for the fuel rail... all better now... checked the starboard harness for continuity and all is well... I do have a bad noise filter on the cam position sensor... new ones should be here this week. slowly working the bugs out... I really want to get it back in the water for memorial day weekend

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok Port engine status... I can talk to all 4 ECU's I have with YDS... all ECU's report all 4 intake temp sensors out of range. manifold pressure at rest agrees with the local barometric pressure, all signals wires check out for continuity in segments and in total... ECU's are detecting all other signals and sensors normally according to YDS...)

all of the sensors check out in ice water 1-2C and use some 80c hot water the resistance is in tolerance as in the 2007-2007-2009 manual... nothing exact in the earlier manuals...

it has to be a bad connection in one of the pins or wire as the higher the resistance the lower the temp and the computer reports below lower limit....
checking the ??? ohms resistance P/G, B/O, B/Y, and Orange... should be near 0 ohms.... stand by all good still no joy

Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i guess i have to measure the resistance at the pins headed into the ECU

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Port Engine status.. ok the pins in both harnesses at the ECU are off by one pin... signal supposed to present to ECU on PIN 7 and Pin 7 is blank with a filler and the B/Y wire presents to the ECU on PIN 8.... Every ECU reports the same problem so maybe I have the wrong harnesses? The sensors are good.. the wires and Signals Presented to the ECU are good. Logically this would be an open circuit seen as infinite resistance which agrees with the ECU's... Im gonna go dig out the other two harnesses i have and check the pinouts on the ECU connector... and I have a known good 2006 FX HO harness coming from my parts guy that I trust... so I'll get to the bottom of this... be nice to have a pinout for the ECU pins that's known correct... I have found many discrepancies in the FX and FX HO wire harness that differ between the harness as built and the diagram...

I guess Im gonna need to order some pin tools

attachment (101).jpgattachment (102).jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Port Engine update: ok its it is a jetski harness, moving B/Y on Pin 7 to Pin 8 cleared the inlet temp sensor fault... also went through the harness wire and Pin 29 had W/L and its supposed to be in Pin 27 so i moved that... the anything i can see now is that Pin 32 on the ECU is supposed to have a B/O running over to the Oil Tank connector and ground... Still no start but getting closer... YDS is in the green however I cant run static tests as it claims the engine is already running. I have a Junk harness I'll pull a pin and wire out of that and ground pin 32 and see what that does.... and white to black show up on YDS as engine stop lanyard switch on and off correctly... im betting no spark cause i smell fuel... now when cranking... so I'll pull a coil and check the impedance and put a plug in and see if i get fire tomorrow...

attachment - 2022-04-18T201706.314.jpgattachment - 2022-04-18T201720.372.jpgattachment - 2022-04-18T201758.961.jpgattachment - 2022-04-18T201901.910.jpg

Last edited:

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m curious why YDS thinks the engine is running when it’s not. I’m thinking that harness isn’t from an FXHO or FX Cruiser?