• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ribbon Delete? Worth it?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulling snorkel out of housing.
Its tough cause they use some adhesive in the groove

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got around to the ribbon delete this afternoon. No problem , both ribbons removed in less than an hour. However , I spent the next 30 minutes trying to jiggle , twist , pry , etc. the snorkel from the air filter housing. Got afraid I was going to crack or break something and gave up !! Any tips or more pics would be greatly appreciated. I know that @swatski said is was NOT necessary to remove the filter housing from the engine compartment front bulkhead but I just could not get the feel for doing it. I would really like to give it another shot in order to achieve max benefit from the mod ? Am I wiggling the filter housing off the bulkhead OR wiggling the snorkel out of the housing?
You definitely need to remove the filter box with its housing, but you can get it off without unbolting - those will slide out. Kind of hard to explain.
Here is the snorkel (removed) - need to yank it out. I suppose some dish soap could help - there is a rubber pin holding it to the filter case.
upload_2017-6-29_23-16-12.png

These are the bolts holding the air box - no need to unbolt, the box will slide out.
upload_2017-6-29_23-17-20.png

And couple more pics of the snorkels before and after removal. Those just need some persuasion:
upload_2017-6-29_23-18-41.png

upload_2017-6-29_23-19-6.png

upload_2017-6-29_23-19-32.png

Let us know if you need more pics.

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has any of you tried removing the filter too? Mph change?
Unless your filter is in bad shape you are unlikely to see any major difference. Maybe 50 RPM gain - in a N/A engine. It could be different with a SC.
Fairly easy to check - almost no tools required to pull the air box on the water. Running without it for a while will not hurt anything.

--

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Unless your filter is in bad shape you are unlikely to see any major difference. Maybe 50 RPM gain - in a N/A engine. It could be different with a SC.
Fairly easy to check - almost no tools required to pull the air box on the water. Running without it for a while will not hurt anything.

--
I'm guessing there is no point doing a cold air intake with a SC? I cant see it helping the charge temps.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm guessing there is no point doing a cold air intake with a SC? I cant see it helping the charge temps.
A few people tried it in the SX192 thread and didn't get any positive results.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info guys! I am about to do the upgrade on my 2016 240SX. One question I have is, do I need to locktite the bolts? Blue is fine?

Thanks!

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I’ve been researching and preparing for this upgrade for a few weeks...being a bit skeptical about the whole thing, but My frustration about my brand new 2019 242x not being able to pass 46mph got to me...

I gotta say I’m a big believer of this mod! I did the install today and was able to test the boat under the exact same water and load conditions within a matter of an hour in between.

* I decided to go with the Riva Rings for the ribbon delete and upgraded the filters to the Riva High Performance Filter.

*I wanted to do the snorkle delete, but it was such a pain to cut it lose, that I gave up for now...will try at a later time

* removing the stock mesh element was very easy without having to drill a screw or a hole. Just grab a thin screw driver and jiggle it loose from both ends.

* Install was very easy, took me less than an hour to do both.

THE RESULTS! (2019 242 / 84hrs)
Testing condition before and after: Sea level, a little chop, 35% fuel, one person)

amaaaazing!

The first thing noticed as I waked out of the marina, was a throatier and deeper sound... loved it, sounds more manly.

As I left the marina into open water, I then experienced a smooth and faster acceleration,..felt like I got into 40s a lot faster than I ever had.

Boat accelerated smooth to about 7,500 rpms (about 7200 max prior to mod)

Boat accelerated passed mid 40’s and clocked a record high speed of 50.2MPH with no struggle (max speed under exact ame conditions 46mph)

In summary, This mod boosted the engine about 300 Rpms, which for me it represented an increase in top end speed of +4mph.... I’m confident that in more calm waters and less wind, the boat should go even a little faster

Even though Im supper happy with this mode, and can finally know that my baby can hit +50mph as advertised, I will still remove the airbox snorkle at a later time and will post any incremental results.

If you’re thinking about this like I was....do it. No brainer, the engine will breath better, and you’ll love the new sound and performance.

55846F8E-B024-4806-8EE9-D7981A6D4918.jpegB57597AC-BCB9-402A-9524-F559E98E2C51.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome! will do it for next season!

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
* removing the stock mesh element was very easy without having to drill a screw or a hole. Just grab a thin screw driver and jiggle it loose from both ends.
So I have (well, I will next week after I take delivery) the same boat as you. There is a thread on here about single engine 2019's and there was speculation that the ribbon was integrated into the manifold now. But now that I know more about these boats from reading here, I think that was on a 195 which has a different engine. Glad to see that nothing has changed. This will be on the top of my list after the CJS install!

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I have (well, I will next week after I take delivery) the same boat as you. There is a thread on here about single engine 2019's and there was speculation that the ribbon was integrated into the manifold now. But now that I know more about these boats from reading here, I think that was on a 195 which has a different engine. Glad to see that nothing has changed. This will be on the top of my list after the CJS install!
Go for it man, you won’t be disappointed.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have the part number for the Riva Ring for a 2018 AR 190, NA 1.8. I assume it's the one listed for the later year waverunners but they don't list the boats on the compatibility list. Just trying to avoid the buy/return/rebuy experience. Thanks in advance.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just ordered the Aqua Sport branded ones from Island Racing. On this page: ISLAND RACING

It's labeled:
AQUA SPORT INTAKE MESH / RIBBON DELETE RING
YH-16002 $35.00
( 2013+ )

Lucasg09

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I have a 2010 Yamaha wave runner VX deluxe and I’m in the middle of doing the ribbon delete, I’m seeing comments on YouTube about how you may get backfire and end up blowing up your ski. Just wondering how true this really is? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a 2010 Yamaha wave runner VX deluxe and I’m in the middle of doing the ribbon delete, I’m seeing comments on YouTube about how you may get backfire and end up blowing up your ski. Just wondering how true this really is? If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
I can't remember the last time I had a backfire in a fuel injected engine on my boat, car or otherwise....just my opinion but it's a non issue for me! and I am enjoying my faster boat.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You have way better odds at catching COVID than this ever happening (famous last words, right?)

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Short money, easy to do and yes worth it, at least on my 2018 190 it was.