• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rusted Engine Internals - Holy Cow

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Wonder if this happed to one of our members. Apparently incorrect flushing procedure.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that sucks. Going by the rust in the cylinders looks as if they flushed it with the engines off or turned off the engines before turning off the water most likely.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some how water got in and flushing is most likely. The other way is head gasket leaking but it would not run good so one would notice this and for a most gasket failures don’t occurred in 3 cyl at once………so that makes the flush high on the list. I agree with 1wetboat

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Other than this guy stating you need to bring it to a shop to flush the motors 🙄😑. He states the customer didnt flush it correctly.

As John Wayne so aptly put it, life is hard, it’s harder when you’re stupid.

And we are all stupid, do stupid things sometimes, that’s why the most dangerous things on our boats have safety interlocks, you cannot start the engines unless they are at idle and in neutral, and the clean out plugs hatch has to be closed AND the interlocks will kill the engines and starter motors if the clean plug hatch is open.

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I would really like to know the back story to this and how does a person get possession of a boat and not learn about it? Fault of the owner, just for being to confident in thinking they know everything. Or fault of the dealer/previous owner for not informing the new owner of proper maintenance and operation? Whatever it it, the situation sucks for sure.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A very likely candidate for this type of damage is running on one engine above no wake speed and then letting it sit for six months,

as FSH210 says, Life is hard and expensive when your ignorant,

The guy says the owner tried to winterize himself, flushed it wrong and put it away for the winter,
( the proper procedure is, 1. engine on 2. water on 3. water off 4. engine off )

even engines that aren't flushed properly or have water in the cylinders are easily salvageable, we've had many members save their engines with water in the cylinders, you just can't let it sit for months,

it is a joke he says, take your yamaha to be "winterized", read your manual about what it says "winterization" is,

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would really like to know the back story to this
Maybe flushing while intoxicated ? The video did mention the owner had a different boat with no motor on flushing design?

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
A very likely candidate for this type of damage is running on one engine above no wake speed and then letting it sit for six months,

as FSH210 says, Life is hard and expensive when your ignorant,

The guy says the owner tried to winterize himself, flushed it wrong and put it away for the winter,
( the proper procedure is, 1. engine on 2. water on 3. water off 4. engine off )

even engines that aren't flushed properly or have water in the cylinders are easily salvageable, we've had many members save their engines with water in the cylinders, you just can't let it sit for months,

it is a joke he says, take your yamaha to be "winterized", read your manual about what it says "winterization" is,
What I want to know, what/why is he winterizing in Florida? based on the video presenters commentary.

Mr. Boh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"Step 1: take it to a shop..."
Step 2: Pay the shop lots of money, because the shop is telling you to pay them lots of money.

STEALERSHIPS

TommyMcK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I dunno. The video states unequivocally that it happened while winterizing it, so the guy clearly had the water on with the engine off. I've had Yamaha boats and waverunners for over 25 years, and while I've never screwed this up, I can see being distracted. It's harder to explain how the owner didn't immediately recognize it when the engine stopped and why the guy in the video made it sound like you needed to be Columbo to figure it out. If the video was really trying to be informative for those unfamiliar with the procedure, it would have at least made mention of the fact that you should never force water into the flush port unless the engine is running. As it is, he's just trying to drum up business.

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I it is, he's just trying to drum up business.
Definitely trying to get business with the video. And I don't blame him. There are situations where a mechanic is definitely needed. This one should not have been as it should have never happened.