• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salmon Fishing

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone every Salmon Fish, trolling, from their Yamaha? Season is just about to start in the Great Lakes. Of course I don't have down rigger, and I wasn't thinking about putting one in it.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to fish for salmon in the PNW. I have a downrigger that I modified to attach to the table leg on my AR230. I now use it to fish in Hawaii!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would really like to see a picture of that and how you did it. Sounds Like something I would be interested in doing.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately the table mount in our boats are dramatically different. 20150509_164149.jpg20150801_071754.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they are, but I have been thinking about putting a casting chair on the swim deck as a Modification (as well as in the front (bow). Would just need to get a stainless steel backing plate under there and I could do the same thing. Not sure what access I have to get under there.

Your rig is awesome. I definitely want do do something similiar. Thanks so much for the Picture.

What speed have you trolled for Salmon at with the engines?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone modded their swim deck with a plate like the one shown in the picture above?

Any Advice?

Where could I buy the round plate, a pole and a seat from?

What type of backing thickness would you suggest and type of material?

Really want to try and do this, I am now starting to obsess over it searching the internet.

Last edited:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they are, but I have been thinking about putting a casting chair on the swim deck as a Modification (as well as in the front (bow). Would just need to get a stainless steel backing plate under there and I could do the same thing. Not sure what access I have to get under there.

Your rig is awesome. I definitely want do do something similiar. Thanks so much for the Picture.

What speed have you trolled for Salmon at with the engines?
Trolling speed depended on the type of salmon and if I was in a lake or river. Typically in the lake it was slow at 1.5 - 2.0 mph. Now here in Hawaii when going after Wahoo we trill at surfing speed of 10 - 11 mph. Crazy fast!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So i went salmon fishing on my fil boat which is a big deep v closed bow old slickcraft. But the rig he made was slick. He has 4 pole holders on either side that had adjustable angles so poles don't overlap. Some had those boards on them to spread it out. On the back inside the boat he had some plywood cut perfectly across and had it secured. Then the downrigger on either side was screwed to the wood. So i think we had 4 guys and 8 poles out trolling at 2.5 mph which was his big v8 at idle and we had to slow it down to get that by putting 2 buckets with holes in them off the sides.
Caught 4 salmon, a brown trout and 2 lake trout. Some good fights and we kept the brown and salmon for eating. I guess the big lakers can have mercury issues so we sent them back as we got decently latge ones.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Not Mine but the big one of that day!20210313_132140.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Michigan? The water looks awesome.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lake Michigan? The water looks awesome.
Yes! It was beautiful out! East chicago. Went along the wall and by the barn the round the corner but the salmon were out a bit further already. Water temp just below 40

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I know where that is. If we weren't getting a half inch of snow tomorrow I would of started to get the boat ready. Will be in the mid 60's by this next weekend. Tempted to head out that way.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone modded their swim deck with a plate like the one shown in the picture above?

Any Advice?

Really want to try and do this, I am now starting to obsess over it searching the internet.
@Sotally Tober might have some insight for modifying the swim deck for such a use!

All the hardware is from an older model Yamaha, '05 AR 230 is what @Scuba_ref has for a setup. Not sure if it's available cheaper, but here's the parts he has in that pic: 2005 Yamaha AR230 High Output (SRT1100AD) Hull Deck Fittings | Yamaha Sports Plaza

#6, 7, 9,10, 33 are all your important parts. I have a feeling all the bolts/nuts/washers might require another option for your use, since he's likely got some blocking under there designed for that. You'll have to add it, is my guess. I have NO idea how you'd manage that on the lower level, which is where Sotally Tober comes in on this.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Any Advice?

Springfield | Springfield Marine Company All kinds of locking bases, pedestals and seating options.
This company supplied the hardware to Yamaha for our 07 table, pedestals and bases. They are not locking. I would use locking hardware for a fishing rig. Check out their locking options.

Last edited: