• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seattle to Vancouver June 13-18

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Me, the wife and two teenage daughters are flying from Baltimore to Seattle June 13, with tickets to see the US team play in a prelim match in Vancouver, June 16. Never been, and IMO this is a huge waste of money. I'd rather stick a red hot poker in my eye than make this trip to watch soccer. Nonetheless, the airline tickets have been purchased and I am stuck. I have no other plans, other than it is up to me (as usual) to figure out something to do in this region. We will pick up a rental car at the airport, and don't want to spend alot of time driving around. Fifty miles to get somewhere is reasonable, on the way to Vancouver. We plan on staying in Vancouver the night of the game only, due to the prices of hotel rooms on that day. Bend over, of course. Any ideas from those familiar with the area of something cool to see, fun to do etc?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Tom, if you have never been to the region and spent any time, your blowing a perfect opportunity to see a truly incredible part of the country. The Puget sound and the san juan islands, Vancouver island, Victoria, Buchart Gardens, Whidbey Island, the drive up from Vancouver up the inside passage is amazing...you might want to extend your trip, it would be worth it. You can take a ferry with the car, from Seattle to Victoria or any of the islands, go drive around vancouver island...hell, the trip over on the ferry is incredible. We did it with our motorhome when I was 15...we are going to do it again in just a couple of years. The drive to Rainer, east into the mountains, along the columbia river, it is just too amazing to cover it all. One trip, and you will want to go back again.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Tom, I agree with Mel on this. I live in Eastern Washington and fly over to Seattle for work 30-40 times per year and can vouch for the entire NW - beautiful country and lots to do. Any of the places/ideas that Mel mentioned would be well worth the trip.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No doubt it is nice but my time is limited hence the short trip. We hit Seattle and will be moving towards Vancouver, but not southeast to Mt Ranier and then have to come back north. Any ideas along that path are appreciated.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:Welcome: to Canada.

The first thing I would do is extend my stay in Vancouver. It might be expensive but the American dollar is worth about $1.25 Canadian right now. There is everything to do in Vancouver from whale watching to mountain climbing. Incredible scenery, great restraunts, and of course our amazing beer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No trip to Vancouver is complete without grabbing a few beers and something to eat at the Flying Beaver, amd watch the float planes take off and land. The ferry to Victoria also leaves from Vancouver, and an afternoon drive north of Vancouver along the inside passage for lunch somewhere is doable. Take any Rx that needs refilling along with you, meds are cheap in Canada. And pick up some smoked salmon to take home...

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All this talk of the NW has me wanting to go and explore now. Thanks guy!:winkingthumbsup"

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stanley park is nice. You could drive up to Whistler. Cam.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tom:
we can talk about this at length when I put the boat in (which bloody well better be before you go to Vancouver or I'll go nuts!). Ex-Canadian living near you that has done that same drive. For us it was a cheaper way to get to Whistler skiing. Two best friends and an ex-employee live in Vancouver and, were it not distance from family, the area was a serious contender before we moved down here!

Some preliminary comments:
- Seattle: Pike's Place Market and the first Starbucks if your gang are fans, space needle is cool. Place to stay 18 miles out of town: http://www.treehousepoint.com/ (look for treehouse masters on tv.)
- heading north... there isn't a tech geek that would NOT enjoy a stop at Boeing to watch them put together a 7x7 (heck, just the building is fascinating) http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/tours/index.page You drive right by en route to Vancouver.
- also heading north, I thought the drive would be more scenic. If you're thinking Highway 1 in California, um, NOPE. Relatively little table land between the ocean and the mountains so you're driving through industrial areas most of the way... Fortunately, it's only a couple/three hours' drive.
- alternative: have you considered the high speed ferry?
- Vancouver: False Creek, Chinatown {(and a lot more).
- The drive to Whistler is worth it IMHO, gorgeous scenery.
- If you want to get out of Vancouver, by all means head to Victoria. And then there is Butchart Gardens (http://www.butchartgardens.com/). I thought I'd hate it (I can kill plastic plants!) but it was impressive.

I would be SO tempted to drive to Vancouver, take the ferry to Victoria, and then take the ferry to Port Angeles and then drive from there back to SEA-TAC (2.5h)...

Mauimike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with Tom and the others. Being a native of the PNW (Seattle) I love, love the area two months a year. You will not find better place on earth to visit in July to August, some June's are ok. After living in the rain and overcast for most of my life in Seattle, I moved to South Carolina to see the sun.

I highly recommend you take the ferry to a few places in Vancouver or Seattle. You will never regret it. Of course it may rain.

Good luck!
Mike