• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You talking bout the new 2019 Ram?

The air suspension is a no brainier for towing...

Random but what are the optimal gear ratios for towing?
Yup, ended up in a fully loaded longhorn. For the Ram, the higher the better in regards to gear ratio and towing. Lower is better for gas mileage overall but I expect to get better when towing.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man I'm low key jealous!!

Congrats...that is a BADDD TRUCK....I have tried to go see one in person, but they just getting them stocked up.

The tech and build quality in these new 2019s is insane.

I have a 2016 GMC Denali Ultimate, fully loaded and I cant wait for my lease to be up in January so I can grab one of the Limited's fully loaded with the big 12" screen and all the goodies!!

Should tow very very well....assume you went with the 5.7, what gears did you get?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Random but what are the optimal gear ratios for towing?
Model specific or in general?

In general is hard to say, as the gearing can and should be part of the optimization process of the engine/transmission combo. Final drive ratio (transmission ratio x rear gear x tire circumference) should match the intended load and speed of the vehicle. Comparing across brands is almost useless anymore, unless you just really like math :D

A good for instance. GM used to run 4spd transmissions. With those, the tow ratings were highest, and real world performance was best with a 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 rear gear ratio. 3.08:1 and 3.42:1 were "highway" gears, or "fuel economy" gears. With the new 6 and 8 speed transmissions the 3.42 ratio is the most reduction you can get. The addition of two more gears in the transmission gives both a lower low, and a higher high. Giving you both better initial starting torque, as well as lower revs at speed. So arbitrarily looking at the rear ratio as an indication of towing capability is not really very accurate at all.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Man I'm low key jealous!!

Congrats...that is a BADDD TRUCK....I have tried to go see one in person, but they just getting them stocked up.

The tech and build quality in these new 2019s is insane.

I have a 2016 GMC Denali Ultimate, fully loaded and I cant wait for my lease to be up in January so I can grab one of the Limited's fully loaded with the big 12" screen and all the goodies!!

Should tow very very well....assume you went with the 5.7, what gears did you get?
3.92s, and it is much peppier than my old one. In general, the highest gear option a manufacture offers is going to the best for towing.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For you guys with Yukons, we’re thinking of getting one as our next vehicle. How does it work out pulling the 24 footers? Probably would get the 6.2L but wondering about the non-Denali versions as well. We have an ‘09 F150 Lariat Super Crew with a 5.4L now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For you guys with Yukons, we’re thinking of getting one as our next vehicle. How does it work out pulling the 24 footers? Probably would get the 6.2L but wondering about the non-Denali versions as well. We have an ‘09 F150 Lariat Super Crew with a 5.4L now.
I think you can still get the 6.2L in Non-Denali trim......I think.....

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can, I actually opted NOT to get the 6.2L when I got my Sierra Denali, test drove the 6.2 and it was INSANE power and requires 91 fuel, and since I leave my boat near the lakes I frequent most of my towing would be less than 30mi one way.

The 5.3L does just fine, haven't had any issues pulling the boat, and the 4x4 is a must for where I launch from.

I think the SLTs offer the 6.2 as an option, but unless your towing a large load or long distances I couldn't muster the extra gas costs of premium fuel in the 6.2L.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What happens if an engine recommends premium and you don’t give it that? Decreased performance? Are there long lasting effects that are detrimental to operation?

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2013 GM 3500

36716093_10156501450924710_4916478260918878208_n.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Here are some pictures of the new truck. I feel pictures do not do this any justic, especially the interior. The inside blows away the competition and I would say nicer than the latest MB/Audi/Infiniti’s I have been in. Everything is soft and pretty much everything is stitched leather. The wood grain is real wood, and you can feel the grains if you rub your hand on it. They knocked it out of the park with this truck. Can’t wait to see how she tows. B760F70E-8CE5-483C-BD39-D9F68D359CDB.jpegF82DC99A-4543-4EBE-8E2A-8F80A88DFE57.jpeg8F135755-8533-46B2-B6D8-94EB6020FB06.jpeg0ED44116-C14F-44CD-AC2F-C3A01106FDC1.jpeg

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All I needed to see was that screen!!

But your right, I've done some prelim research and they def hit a GRAND SLAM on this one.

I've been a Lexus guy for 20yrs, got a boat a while back and needed a truck...Sierra Denali Ultimate was my best option at the time and checks all boxes, for luxury and capability.

This new Ram is on another level...has tech that most luxury cars dont have and actually looks really good. What truck can park itself, super plush, and that air suspension is a great option for towing!!

I'll be waiting till Dec so I can swap out my lease, itll be my Xmas gift to ME!

Congrats again!

Let us know your favorite features once you spend some time with her.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The higher tier Rams have had this style and quality for years. The big ass screen is new and beautiful!

I’ve been in a Ram since 2000....never leaving their interior to go with the blah brand interiors.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The higher tier Rams have had this style and quality for years. The big ass screen is new and beautiful!

I’ve been in a Ram since 2000....never leaving their interior to go with the blah brand interiors.
I agree - my '13 Ram Laramie was ahead of the competition and still better than whats out there from the competition today IMO. This new one is light years ahead of that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Am I the only one that DOESN'T like a giant screen in a car? I was forced into getting one in the current truck. Even the most base model anything has a damn screen in the center stack now. They're entirely too bright at night (even with the dimmers all the way down), and turning them off completely frequently removes the ability to control some part of the car.

I for one miss a center stack with simple buttons and knobs to control the things you need to control. No annoying touch screens to fiddle with (I constantly hit a bump right as I go to touch the screen and miss where I wanted to touch), no overly bright displays at night, and I don't really need to see album art with my music when I'm driving. These things are all sizzle and no steak IMO

I hate 'em I really do. Sadly I have little choice if I'm going to drive something from this decade with a warranty.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Am I the only one that DOESN'T like a giant screen in a car? I was forced into getting one in the current truck. Even the most base model anything has a damn screen in the center stack now. They're entirely too bright at night (even with the dimmers all the way down), and turning them off completely frequently removes the ability to control some part of the car.

I for one miss a center stack with simple buttons and knobs to control the things you need to control. No annoying touch screens to fiddle with (I constantly hit a bump right as I go to touch the screen and miss where I wanted to touch), no overly bright displays at night, and I don't really need to see album art with my music when I'm driving. These things are all sizzle and no steak IMO

I hate 'em I really do. Sadly I have little choice if I'm going to drive something from this decade with a warranty.
Yes.

lol j/k... Ram actually thought of this, the screen gets pretty darn dark if you want it to, with two different ways to control the brightness. Also every feature excepted heated/cooled seats has it's own button. (All AC controls, radio controls, etc, notice on each side of the stack). You can also turn it off and still have the navigation/audio run through your gauge cluster, and just tap the screen when you want it back on.

They also make base model trucks that would fit your needs lol.... I guess they have uped to a 5" screen now. Of course you can always replace them with a base radio.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes.

lol j/k... Ram actually thought of this, the screen gets pretty darn dark if you want it to, with two different ways to control the brightness. Also every feature excepted heated/cooled seats has it's own button. (All AC controls, radio controls, etc, notice on each side of the stack)
My Sierra has physical buttons for everything as well. Although as soon as you touch one that has a display on the screen, the damn thing comes back on. It's all but impossible to back up at night with the windows up because of the screen and it's reflection on the inside of the glass. Have to roll down the windows to see the mirrors because of that. If it's raining and dark then I just hope I don't hit anything because I can't see shit out of the side mirror.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My Sierra has physical buttons for everything as well. Although as soon as you touch one that has a display on the screen, the damn thing comes back on. It's all but impossible to back up at night with the windows up because of the screen and it's reflection on the inside of the glass. Have to roll down the windows to see the mirrors because of that. If it's raining and dark then I just hope I don't hit anything because I can't see shit out of the side mirror.
I will report back when I get some more night time driving in. On the way home we couldn't figure out how to get the brightness down, turned out they had the interior lights cranked to max, so the screen stayed bright and in daytime mode. Now THAT reflected. I figured it out once I got home and the nav switched into the correct night time mode.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes.

lol j/k... Ram actually thought of this, the screen gets pretty darn dark if you want it to, with two different ways to control the brightness. Also every feature excepted heated/cooled seats has it's own button. (All AC controls, radio controls, etc, notice on each side of the stack). You can also turn it off and still have the navigation/audio run through your gauge cluster, and just tap the screen when you want it back on.

They also make base model trucks that would fit your needs lol.... I guess they have uped to a 5" screen now. Of course you can always replace them with a base radio.
Thanks for noting this. I had been considering one in a few years, but had dismissed the new ram because it appeared the big screen removed physical controls for most functions. Knowing it has those controls does put it back in contention. If they'd just stuff a 392 in it, they'd be nearly impossible to beat.