• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Lol, love it! Certainly not ideal, I guess could get tricky on slippery ramps. But, all things considered still so much safer for towing than many a lifted truck, lol.
Believe it or not, this thing does pretty good. Pulled the boat home from Orlando with no issues. Bought it used and it had a hitch, with a long wheel base it's ok. Correct, would not be good on a steep ramp. Luckily I only trailer the boat 1-2 times per year. :)

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What’s “really dealing” equate to? Sounds like you had a trade in involved, so I realize it maybe difficult to say definitively.
$20k+ Off MSRP between dealer discount and lease rebates. Rebates were so good I ended up leasing. Probably will buy at the end of the lease.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only about 1-2 MPG less than the R/T, but the R/T wasn't all that great to start.
Gotcha. Buddy at my last job had one of the first (2015 maybe) of the R/T's with the 8spd in it. I think he said he was getting mid-high teens. Was beating the pants off my 11-12mpg in the SS. I could hold him off by about a length or so to about 100 though from a dead stop.

Shady

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol, love it! Certainly not ideal, I guess could get tricky on slippery ramps. But, all things considered still so much safer for towing than many a lifted truck, lol.

--
Curious how this safer than towing with lifted truck? To each their own but i’ll Take mylifted truck lol

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
How does it do on the boat ramps?
I've only been to the ramp by my home (2x) where it is not that steep. Had no issues (but it was dry). Pulling and travailing with the boat was easy.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gotcha. Buddy at my last job had one of the first (2015 maybe) of the R/T's with the 8spd in it. I think he said he was getting mid-high teens. Was beating the pants off my 11-12mpg in the SS. I could hold him off by about a length or so to about 100 though from a dead stop.
Wow, I had a '14 R/T with the 8 spd and I was lucky to get 15, so when I average 13.5 in the SRT I don't feel so bad. Yeah, the R/T was quick, but just not quick enough...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious how this safer than towing with lifted truck? To each their own but i’ll Take mylifted truck lol
Low, long, and wide generally makes for great highway towing.
Ramps are a whole different animal, so I guess it totally depends.

If the lift is done right there should be little concern about towing.

But, the laws of physics are against you with a lifted truck. As you raise the center of gravity, you create more torque on the front wheels under braking which means less braking ability. A lift effects the braking more then anything else, but the steering is also effected. Basically all working parts on a truck will be stressed more with most all lift kits, and the ride is less stable. Add tall wide mud tires and rain, and you will certainly have your hands full when you have to stop fast.

Bottom line, lift = less towing performance, any lifted truck will have a lower tow rating than the same truck not lifted.

Ever see a lifted semitractor?

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd go out on a limb and say that almost any lifted truck is safer towing a boat than a minivan at nearly twice it's stated capacity.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'd go out on a limb and say that almost any lifted truck is safer towing a boat than a minivan at nearly twice it's stated capacity.
I'm pretty much maxed out.

1550930322989.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Low, long, and wide generally makes for great highway towing.
Ramps are a whole different animal, so I guess it totally depends.

If the lift is done right there should be little concern about towing.

But, the laws of physics are against you with a lifted truck. As you raise the center of gravity, you create more torque on the front wheels under braking which means less braking ability. A lift effects the braking more then anything else, but the steering is also effected. Basically all working parts on a truck will be stressed more with most all lift kits, and the ride is less stable. Add tall wide mud tires and rain, and you will certainly have your hands full when you have to stop fast.

Bottom line, lift = less towing performance, any lifted truck will have a lower tow rating than the same truck not lifted.

Ever see a lifted semitractor?

--
My lifted Duramax far exceeds the handling while towing than my wife's stock tundra. I bought it lifted, but it was done "right". Brake size wasupgraded along with the addition of the larger diameter wheels. A lot of the better handling characteristics while towing I would attribute to the stiffness of the suspension. The Duramax remains very planted in corners and whether its my 20 ft box trailer or boat trailer, it will follow along with very little feeling of lateral sway on the truck. It's a very different feeling with the Tundra doing the hauling. The Trailers have a lot greater tenancy to sway the rear of the truck as you round a corner. Of course the Tundra handles it well enough and offers a lot smoother ride when not towing. While the D-max is the preferable rig for towing, I've often contemplated what I could do to give it a more comfortable ride... progressive springs, softer springs with airbags...?

Back to the point though, it all depends on the hardware used on the truck. Although my truck tows better despite being lifted, it hasn't improved the ride quality otherwise. But let's face the facts... I didn't buy it for comfort, I bought it to compensate for a small... "ego" :sorry: lol!
20180603_124348.jpg

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cool! My mom has the same truck and I was thinking to use it for my AR195. But the tow rating is border line for that engine. I was thinking it would suffer through the mountains.
I definitely would not be taking my rig through the mountains. It does OK on the shorter trips and even a 50 mile (gentle rolling highway) trip. But I think through the mountains would be to much work, both for me, and the car. Plus.. I think the AR is a hundred pounds heavier than my SX. Not for me. :)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sure hope they pick a better color for the next release photo. That beige is terrible.
The art of understatement!
(I think they actually said that much, lol)
I think it’s awesome, in that sense, and those look small, too, while weighting a ton and hiding all that beastly power.