• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

Scotty_R8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too enjoyed a lowered Tow Rig for awhile. Came from the factory with rear air bags. Was lowered a shade over 2in in the front with a set of coilovers, and the rear had a custom height sensor rod and drop shocks.
View attachment 145536

Hoping our new Q7 looks this sharp in front of the boat!
How does the TBSS hold up to towing that? I got rid of my 07 TBSS just a few weeks ago after I bought my ar230 because I was worried about trying to tow and pull it in and out of the ramp with a stalled RWD SS

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does the TBSS hold up to towing that? I got rid of my 07 TBSS just a few weeks ago after I bought my ar230 because I was worried about trying to tow and pull it in and out of the ramp with a stalled RWD SS
It did great honestly.

Mine had a stock converter in it, and was AWD. Ramps we're no problem at all. Had tons of power and torque, great stability, and the air ride was nice handling the people and tongue weight. My 190 is pretty dang light though, so that helped.

I suspect the head gasket was hurt, and I had problems keeping it cool for the season I towed with it. Had a baby on the way and didn't want to screw with it so I traded out for '15 GMC Sierra.

I liked the "Sport SUV" idea so much I just traded the Sierra away on an Audi Q7. Got an extra set of seats in this one, but it's very much the same premise as the SS. Lots of power in a medium sized SUV that's close to the ground :)

Scotty_R8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It did great honestly.

Mine had a stock converter in it, and was AWD. Ramps we're no problem at all. Had tons of power and torque, great stability, and the air ride was nice handling the people and tongue weight. My 190 is pretty dang light though, so that helped.

I suspect the head gasket was hurt, and I had problems keeping it cool for the season I towed with it. Had a baby on the way and didn't want to screw with it so I traded out for '15 GMC Sierra.

I liked the "Sport SUV" idea so much I just traded the Sierra away on an Audi Q7. Got an extra set of seats in this one, but it's very much the same premise as the SS. Lots of power in a medium sized SUV that's close to the ground :)
oh man, if I would of had the AWD one I probably would of kept it. I do miss the TBSS for sure but a local guy wanted to trade straight up for an f350 power stroke so I went with that. I honestly debated a Q5 myself as a potential tow pig especially since I already have an R8, thought it would be cool to carry on with Audi.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oh man, if I would of had the AWD one I probably would of kept it. I do miss the TBSS for sure but a local guy wanted to trade straight up for an f350 power stroke so I went with that. I honestly debated a Q5 myself as a potential tow pig especially since I already have an R8, thought it would be cool to carry on with Audi.
I was really happy with the SS from a vehicle configuration standpoint. It worked really well when it worked. Mine had been stored in a garage for a decade in Winnipeg before I got it. So ALL of the rubber pieces were garbage. The guy who rebuilt the motor (at 10k miles) thought he was gods gift to mechanics, and he, well, wasn't. I was constantly chasing bugs and fixing issues, and all kinds of little things on it. In the 18mo I had it I put all new suspension (including airbags) on it. New tires. New alternator, battery, starter, and cables. New hoses, belts, water pump, and PS lines. Added a transmission cooler, added a larger radiator and electric fans. Fixed about 37 interior trim pieces, and little issues. Then I found a hurt head gasket about 3mo before the new baby was due to arrive and it just sucked the life out of that project. The Sierra had 36k mi on it, and warranty through 100k. Was expensive ($42k), but I drove it for 40-ish months and didn't do anything but change the oil.

I was really close to getting a Durango R/T when I traded for the Sierra. "Compared" the SS against a friends R/T a few times and would have him by a length at 35mph, then it was a dead heat to well into triple digit range. So, when the Sierra's time was up (for a myriad of reasons), I looked hard at an R/T again, but landed on the Q7 this time. We had an '06 A4 and it treated us really well. I wouldn't recommend an SS or really any German car to someone that can't turn their own wrenches. Shop rates are outrageous, and I can't imagine having to take something to the dealership every time I needed to address a small issue. We found that the A4 was about the same cost of ownership as our GM vehicles. Broke half as often, but cost twice as much. Really hoping the Q7 works similarly for us.

The Q7 is similarly fast compared to the SS and the R/T. It comes out of the hole a little soft, but the trans is programmed really well, and the boosted V6 has a nice tall and flat torque curve. The Q7 handles MILES ahead of the SS though. It really hides it's weight well, corners really flat, and those 6-piston calipers on 16in rotors make short work of stopping, despite the nearly 3 ton curb weight. Lots of "neat" features in the Q7, but the basics are still there in terms of driving dynamics and power to weight feel. The one thing the SS has done better than any other vehicle is the feeling of effortlessly accumulating speed. It just NEVER seemed to be struggling to accelerate. With a 4spd trans and deep 4.10 gears, there was no waiting around for the trans to shift and power to come on, it just effing went. Even in a 90-120 sprint, man, it just picked up and WENT. Only other thing I've driven with that kind of consistent pull was an old Grand National. Those things seemed like they NEVER ran out of steam!

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
e9yk1u7p0pl61.jpg

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That’s one way of doing it
Common sense seems to be a thing of the past.
I wish there had been some context on where this was seen..... or how long it took a trooper to pull him over.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New here, and new AR210 picked up yesterday! Here’s my rig: 2018 f150 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I have a 3/4”rise hitch and am perfectly level.

After my first 50 miles of towing here are my notes:
  • Pro trailer backup assist is fantastic for holding trailer in the chosen direction. Once you are lined up with the ramp it will keep you that way with no effort.
  • Truck handles wind really well, tracks very straight and strangely tracks better with the trailer than without
  • Braking is very smooth, but not short!
  • Forward and back mild oscillation is definitely a thing, seems to be worst around 35-40mph. Wonder if I need to adjust the surge brakes or if this is normal
  • Bangs into first gear when starting from a stop if I don’t step off really gently. Doesn’t do this without a trailer. Worried about the tranny here, or maybe the surge brake actuator? Hoping other 3.5 turbo/10 speed owners can advise? Thanks!!
    7AF5C58C-578D-4B4A-A0D9-2299DA691DF8.jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
New here, and new AR210 picked up yesterday! Here’s my rig: 2018 f150 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I have a 3/4”rise hitch and am perfectly level.

• Pro trailer backup assist is fantastic for holding trailer in the chosen direction. Once you are lined up with the ramp it will keep you that way with no effort.
  • Truck handles wind really well, tracks very straight and strangely tracks better with the trailer than without
  • Forward and back mild oscillation is definitely a thing, seems to be worst around 35-40mph. Wonder if I need to adjust the surge brakes or if this is normal
  • Bangs into first gear when starting from a stop if I don’t step off really gently. Doesn’t do this without a trailer. Worried about the tranny here, or maybe the surge brake actuator? Hoping other 3.5 turbo/10 speed owners can advise? Thanks!!
    View attachment 145922
I have the same transmission in my Explorer. I bought a trailer hitch brace to alleviate some of the slop. Better but not perfect.

I may get something better.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have the same transmission in my Explorer. I bought a trailer hitch brace to alleviate some of the slop. Better but not perfect.

I may get something better.

Forgot to mention. When I jump on the throttle the engine vibrates like crazy. They say this is normal. I say BS. I’m still under warranty, so I’m going to pound the pedal until something blows.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

View attachment 145922
I have the same combo. That bang you're likely feeling is the slide on the surge brake going from collapsed to open. I've never put my foot to the floor on this truck. I'm actually kind of afraid with all the damn power it has. LOL! I've given her a good press, but never to the floor and that has been enough for me. You should have no issue with that tranny. Make sure you're in tow haul mode and it'll do all the work for you. These things are monsters to tow with. We love our F150, and use it as our road trip vehicle. Just got back from a 1600 mile trip to/from Fl. It does worlds better on gas than our Wrangler and is much more comfortable.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same combo. That bang you're likely feeling is the slide on the surge brake going from collapsed to open. I've never put my foot to the floor on this truck. I'm actually kind of afraid with all the damn power it has. LOL! I've given her a good press, but never to the floor and that has been enough for me. You should have no issue with that tranny. Make sure you're in tow haul mode and it'll do all the work for you. These things are monsters to tow with. We love our F150, and use it as our road trip vehicle. Just got back from a 1600 mile trip to/from Fl. It does worlds better on gas than our Wrangler and is much more comfortable.
Thanks for the thoughts on it being the surge brake. I’m going to listen closely again next time. Totally agree on using the truck for road trips. Whole family is more comfortable. And for power, it always has some in reserve for sure. I have to dip into the throttle way more with the trailer to maintain speed on inclines, but it does feel like there is always more power when you need it, no need to flog it. But man you gotta put your foot down and see what she can do!

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Forgot to mention. When I jump on the throttle the engine vibrates like crazy. They say this is normal. I say BS. I’m still under warranty, so I’m going to pound the pedal until something blows.
The vibration is definitely not something I have experienced!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The vibration is definitely not something I have experienced!
It even says it in the owners manual. “While towing, you may experience a vibration/shutter. This is considered normal”
I was a Certified Ford Master mechanic for over 30 years, specializing in driveline diagnosis and repair. They consider it “normal” because they haven’t figured out how to fix it. Total BS. My rig is a 2021 Explorer Platinum 3.0L Twin Turbo. It’s a rocket ship and tows my boat great. Doesn’t like hard accel from a stop.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the thoughts on it being the surge brake. I’m going to listen closely again next time. Totally agree on using the truck for road trips. Whole family is more comfortable. And for power, it always has some in reserve for sure. I have to dip into the throttle way more with the trailer to maintain speed on inclines, but it does feel like there is always more power when you need it, no need to flog it. But man you gotta put your foot down and see what she can do!
Take an action cam and suction cup it to your tailgate. I did it on my old trailer just to make sure the slide was working properly.

Pretty cool to watch.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It even says it in the owners manual. “While towing, you may experience a vibration/shutter. This is considered normal”
I was a Certified Ford Master mechanic for over 30 years, specializing in driveline diagnosis and repair. They consider it “normal” because they haven’t figured out how to fix it. Total BS. My rig is a 2021 Explorer Platinum 3.0L Twin Turbo. It’s a rocket ship and tows my boat great. Doesn’t like hard accel from a stop.
That's insane! I will say my 2017 which is the first gen with the 10sp needs to be reprogrammed bad. It's so confused as to when it needs to lock/unlock the torque converter. Also the skipping of the gears does so with a not so smooth transition. I hear the 2018+ are better with the update. I could technically go in and piss and moan to my dealer for them to update it, but I'd be without my truck for weeks to months right now. They're backed up for damn ever, and warranty work tends to be all the way at the bottom of the list.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That's insane! I will say my 2017 which is the first gen with the 10sp needs to be reprogrammed bad. It's so confused as to when it needs to lock/unlock the torque converter. Also the skipping of the gears does so with a not so smooth transition. I hear the 2018+ are better with the update. I could technically go in and piss and moan to my dealer for them to update it, but I'd be without my truck for weeks to months right now. They're backed up for damn ever, and warranty work tends to be all the way at the bottom of the list.
Speaking from experience, the warranty work backs up because the technicians are paid flat rate. Warranty times usually pay 1/2 of what customer paid labor pays. I.E. The customer may pay up to 10 hours for R&R , whereas warranty pays about 5 hours. Makes it hard to make a living if your getting paid 5 hours for a 10 hour job. Also, flat rate means technicians need to take shortcuts to make up for lost time, so quality goes out the door. Nobody wants to take on the warranty work.