• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Headed down through Paducah, Nashville and then I65. Pretty basic drive. The hills weren’t bad for my truck but I’ve got a 6.0 with 4.10 gears. The worst was coming home on Saturday, everyone was heading north and with the occasional backups it added 2.5hrs to the trip home.
Spring Breaker's will do that to ya. Thanks for the feedback. Hoping the new Q7 will handle the hills OK. We're gonna find out for certain.

We're travelling down on a Thursday and back on a Wednesday, hopefully that will keep us from being borked by traffic. Google says it's 10hrs from here, hoping we can hit that with stops and such.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Same speed and mpg with my old ‘16 Tahoe. Haven’t had the new Expedition in ‘trailer mode’ yet... hoping to see a little better gas mileage.
Let us know what you see, I think you will do better than that but not great. The Ecoboost is only ECO when you drive light footed, there is no ECO while towing. However the power and the torque really make GM's 5.3 look bad. I have had both, I'm also am very surprised with the lack of downshifting to help you slow down with the 5.3. I had 2 F150's one with the 5.0 and one with the revised 3.5 Ecoboost & 10 speed and they both did great at downshifting to assist in slowing down.

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have the same transmission in my Explorer. I bought a trailer hitch brace to alleviate some of the slop. Better but not perfect.

I may get something better.

Turns out this is not recommended for factory installed trailer hitches. It doesn't fit right. I have to use another option.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1986 AM General M923 5 ton. Used to be 10 wheel drive, now only 6. Cummins 866. About 5 miles to the gallon. Gets the boat, RV and other toys through some pretty deep sand to lakeside. Just sold the Deuce, 1966 M35, Multi-fuel Hercules engine. Hated to let go of that piece of history, but she just wasn't being used.
5 ton tows deuce.jpg

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting! Those look like Chevy tail lights. 🙂

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
🤔 the tailgate has the old style latches on it. I think we're looking at an old Toyota folks.
Toyota Bed 2.jpg
Seems like something a Toyota guy would do...

skippyOnward

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My rig.

2017 Yamaha AR240 being pulled behind a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 5.3L.

I was hesitant at the dealer when buying this truck but it turned out being extremely capable.

Word of wise for anyone looking at getting one to pull a larger Yamaha - get the adjustable drop hitch. I got one of them all aluminum ones after realizing the drop hitch I had was making the front of the trailer dip a bit more than I'd like.

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

Jjones-stevens_2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is ours! 2014 X3 and 2012 SX190. I’ve only towed it once with the X3 so far, but happy to report it did well with all of the hills going to the marina. Only 1.5 miles away, but pleasantly surprised! Installed the hitch and wiring a few weeks ago ourselves, was not near as bad as I thought it would be.

Attachments

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice to hear that the X3 tows the 19ft well. We just got the hitch installed on my wife's X5. Now when I tow the camper she can tow the boat. 🙂.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing fancy, just dependable and reliable.
Man, that pic really shows how much mass 20yrs has added to fullsize pickups.

Wonder what that older F150 looks like compared to a new Ranger?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length