• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How many guys think this is safe "Enough"? This is a truck and topper with a boat, on a dual axle trailer, mounted on another tri-axle trailer missing a set of tires, pulling a third trailer.

I've seen guys pull RV's and then hitch up their boats behind that for a double trailer, and I cringe knowing they can't see, can't turn as well, and probably have a tougher time keeping up at prevailing traffic speeds. I'm told that it's within legal length, but wow - it seems hard to imagine that it's safe for those on the road. I will never try it.

33_3839b88cbe45f6598d6a63d0808a9be71ba23426.jpg

Last edited:

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That new camouflage paint is bound to cause plenty of accidents too!5684705739_1_5ce3d1a87f2f84a08253415d25c85aab911a5e06.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many guys think this is safe "Enough"? This is a truck and topper with a boat, on a dual axle trailer, mounted on another tri-axle trailer missing a set of tires, pulling a third trailer.

I've seen guys pull RV's and then hitch up their boats behind that for a double trailer, and I cringe knowing they can't see, can't turn as well, and probably have a tougher time keeping up at prevailing traffic speeds. I'm told that it's within legal length, but wow - it seems hard to imagine that it's safe for those on the road. I will never try it.

View attachment 146393
omg.gif

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 146393
OK, So just so we're clear.

That looks like an F150 variant of some kind. Pulling what appears to be a boat on a boat trailer attached to a boat on a boat trailer on a boat trailer. So final count is 3 trailers, 2 boats, and 1 pickup.

I'm not sure I can convince myself that this would, at any point in time or reason, be a good idea.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, So just so we're clear.

That looks like an F150 variant of some kind. Pulling what appears to be a boat on a boat trailer attached to a boat on a boat trailer on a boat trailer. So final count is 3 trailers, 2 boats, and 1 pickup.

I'm not sure I can convince myself that this would, at any point in time or reason, be a good idea.
He's probably only going a few hours down the road.........at 70mph...........in the hills.................... through a couple of neighborhoods to get to where he's going.cookoo[1].gif

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Picked up my boat this weekend...first time towing pretty much anything. 12 hours from Charlotte to Detroit, MI thru the West Virginia mountains.

Tow vehicle is a 2017 BMW X5 Diesel, with a stealth hitch towing a 2016 242 Limited S. I averaged over 17 mpg for the return trip.
IMG_0710.jpg

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Picked up my boat this weekend...first time towing pretty much anything. 12 hours from Charlotte to Detroit, MI thru the West Virginia mountains.

Tow vehicle is a 2017 BMW X5 Diesel, with a stealth hitch towing a 2016 242 Limited S. I averaged over 17 mpg for the return trip.
View attachment 146693
Maybe it is just me, but that seems like really good gas mileage for towing a boat that large. Definitely better than I get.

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe it is just me, but that seems like really good gas mileage for towing a boat that large. Definitely better than I get.
When I'm not towing, I get 32 mpg on the freeway. Diesels might be "dirty" but they have a lot of power and are efficient

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I'm not towing, I get 32 mpg on the freeway. Diesels might be "dirty" but they have a lot of power and are efficient
Obviously. I get 20mpg if I am all highway. Goes to about 13-14mpg if towing.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Obviously. I get 20mpg if I am all highway. Goes to about 13-14mpg if towing.
My Explorer gets 23 MPH on average, but with the boat hooked up, I'm lucky to get 18. And by the way, 89 Octane in California is now well above $4. I use in my rig and the boat, plus additives. Going to be an expensive season.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Explorer gets 23 MPH on average, but with the boat hooked up, I'm lucky to get 18. And by the way, 89 Octane in California is now well above $4. I use in my rig and the boat, plus additives. Going to be an expensive season.
Approaching #3.00 a gallon in Indy.. 1 trip to the lake and back, for a "3 hour tour" on the water, costs $110.00 to fill truck and boat. Expensive season indeed..

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just towed the boat from NW Illinois to Destin Fl and got 8mpg with a 2017 GMC2500 6.0 The only good thing was I never ran out of power.
Edit: That was towing mostly at 80mph.

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 146693
That's some amazing mileage. What was your average speed? I assume you kept it below 70. I probably average better mileage towing the boat versus running empty because I'm more disciplined with the go pedal.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Updating my rig photo...it’s 85 here. Headed out tomorrow morning. 7EE81F7F-2B9D-4CD4-A747-31DA906F4A93.jpeg

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just towed the boat from NW Illinois to Destin Fl and got 8mpg with a 2017 GMC2500 6.0 The only good thing was I never ran out of power.
Edit: That was towing mostly at 80mph.
Same speed and mpg with my old ‘16 Tahoe. Haven’t had the new Expedition in ‘trailer mode’ yet... hoping to see a little better gas mileage.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same speed and mpg with my old ‘16 Tahoe. Haven’t had the new Expedition in ‘trailer mode’ yet... hoping to see a little better gas mileage.
I tried slower(70) but it didn’t change the mpg so I figure I might as well make better time going that far. Now if I’m on the highways going 55-60 I can get 10mpg. Being my first gas truck in over 20yrs it’s taking some time to adjust to the mpg & not much torque but the only thing that really matters is it gets the job done.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried slower(70) but it didn’t change the mpg so I figure I might as well make better time going that far. Now if I’m on the highways going 55-60 I can get 10mpg. Being my first gas truck in over 20yrs it’s taking some time to adjust to the mpg & not much torque but the only thing that really matters is it gets the job done.
How was the tow? Did you head down I-65 or another route? We're making the trip down from Louisville, KY to Destin in June. Curious if there were any "rough patches" along the way, or just a lot of standard windshield time.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How was the tow? Did you head down I-65 or another route? We're making the trip down from Louisville, KY to Destin in June. Curious if there were any "rough patches" along the way, or just a lot of standard windshield time.
Headed down through Paducah, Nashville and then I65. Pretty basic drive. The hills weren’t bad for my truck but I’ve got a 6.0 with 4.10 gears. The worst was coming home on Saturday, everyone was heading north and with the occasional backups it added 2.5hrs to the trip home.