• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We plan to get a '15 plus Expedition when vehicle prices normalize but this is getting the job done better than I expected. 2006 V8 Explorer rated for 7120 lbs.
View attachment 154955
Based on my knowledge of the ECOBOOST, I would try to get a 18 or newer. It has the revised gen 2 motor and along with that you get the newer aluminum body as well.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on my knowledge of the ECOBOOST, I would try to get a 18 or newer. It has the revised gen 2 motor and along with that you get the newer aluminum body as well.
That would be ideal but most likely out of our budget. I'd like to stay under $30K and hopefully under 70,000 miles. That was doable before Covid for a '15-'17 but this larger boat wasn't on the radar so we weren't real anxious. We'll see if/when prices normalize what '18+ are going for.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would be ideal but most likely out of our budget. I'd like to stay under $30K and hopefully under 70,000 miles. That was doable before Covid for a '15-'17 but this larger boat wasn't on the radar so we weren't real anxious. We'll see if/when prices normalize what '18+ are going for.
Aside from a little squat in the rear, looks like the Explorer is handling it OK.

Had a previous coworker that swore by his V8 Explorers. I think he had 3-4 of them in the family, and just loved them. Towed a late 80's inboard with it for many years, and said it always did great.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just got this 2012 Expedition XLT to replace the 2010 Limited that was wrecked while parked in front of my house. It’s no where near as tow ready as the 2010 but I’m ok with it and will start work to dial it in, like adding a reverse, rear view and dash cams. Possibly some air bags as well.
15C7DC26-3073-44A2-A3E4-65DB4E4E5DDB.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie Nice SUV. Except for the trans lines on mine that went a few weeks ago, I can't believe on how much I enjoy towing with it and able to get 8 people in there with their gear. I started looking into a new one, but quickly realized they lost their minds with 2021 Expedition Prices. Not going to happen.
20210718_090936.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I miss the additional creature comforts of the limited, like the pop out side steps, self leveling rear suspension, reverse camera with large display) and would have bought another if not for the Covid pricing currently in effect. The same year limited would cost me $4k more than I paid just theee years ago. I looked into older and longer el versions but those prices are crazy now as well. I can’t afford anything newer than 2014. An new max expediron has an Mario of over $70k. I like the digital dash and built in WiFi batt damn that’s a lot of money considering my first expedition was a 2001 that o bought around 2010 for $4k and I’m was reluctant to buy a 2010 for $20k four years ago.

mrdubean1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please assistance needed! FYI - 2015 Navigator Reserve, beast of a truck, especially towing a 2020 SX190!
One problem, and maybe someone can assist....My tow straps always come loose after a 25 min ride back home from the ramp...I tried re-adjusting after the boat is back on the trailer and after travelling 5 mins on the road, and still, when i get home, the rear tow straps are loose... I bought several different ones, and none work... I attached a fixed one to the trailer, i tried using 2 straps, nothing works.... There isnt any gap between the bow and and recovery winch. I don't know.. I tow nice and slow, and never on the highway because of this issue. Unless i can safely arrive either back home or at the marina with the rear straps still safely and secured, im never going on the highway.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie, I have gotten my ankles hit a few times with the pop out side steps. Mine is a 2017 Expedition Limited. (The Max would be sweet). I got mine in March 2020, 2 days before lock down for I believe $28k, with 77,000 miles on it. I added a 5 year 125k warranty on it which made it just over $30k out the door. I don't think I have self leveling suspension, but never had it so not sure how to determine that it is there and how to work it. I wasn't looking for a limited but found this about a couple hour drive from home.

I have the bench seat for the Second Row, which is nice since it allows the kids to bring another friend of course :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, I had a local dealer say they will give me $35k for it right now on the spot. That is when I looked at the new ones and a possible lease. Well that isn't going to happen, and I surely can't afford to buy one for $70,000. So just chugging down the road in this one. Getting front brakes done this Friday before road trip.

Last edited:

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Please assistance needed! FYI - 2015 Navigator Reserve, beast of a truck, especially towing a 2020 SX190!
One problem, and maybe someone can assist....My tow straps always come loose after a 25 min ride back home from the ramp...I tried re-adjusting after the boat is back on the trailer and after travelling 5 mins on the road, and still, when i get home, the rear tow straps are loose... I bought several different ones, and none work... I attached a fixed one to the trailer, i tried using 2 straps, nothing works.... There isnt any gap between the bow and and recovery winch. I don't know.. I tow nice and slow, and never on the highway because of this issue. Unless i can safely arrive either back home or at the marina with the rear straps still safely and secured, im never going on the highway.
My AR192 often is the same. IMO the straps are to make sure the boat doesn’t fall off the trailer if they are attached you are good to go.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I use G2 Boat Buckles as a lot of members do. Highly recommended. They are awesome and easy to use.

Amazon.com : BoatBuckle G2 Retractable Transom Tie-Down (Black), 1 Pair, 2 x 43-Inch : Boatbuckle? Retractable Tie Down System : Sports & Outdoors

With that being said. I would assume that your boats are sliding forward as you are driving - just a bit, especially after picking up out of water with wet bunks. I do the 5 mph hard stop which snugs the boat at the ramp to the bow roller and up. I come up the ramp and just hit the brake abruptly and hard and the boat slides up a couple inches, I then snug the winch and put on the boat buckle strap and tighten, and my back straps are never loose after trailering. Just because your roller is on your front bow roller doesn't mean it is snugged up against it.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's likely happening is the bow riser on the trailer is shifting forward during your trip home causing the strapsto go slack. The risers are only bolted to the trailer and they will move. It's likely shifting back during launch and retrieval, then forward after all the braking on the drive home. The answer is to either have it welded to the trailer or give it a couple sturdy brake checks before leaving for home and tighten the straps.

mrdubean1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I use G2 Boat Buckles as a lot of members do. Highly recommended. They are awesome and easy to use.

Amazon.com : BoatBuckle G2 Retractable Transom Tie-Down (Black), 1 Pair, 2 x 43-Inch : Boatbuckle? Retractable Tie Down System : Sports & Outdoors

With that being said. I would assume that your boats are sliding forward as you are driving - just a bit, especially after picking up out of water with wet bunks. I do the 5 mph hard stop which snugs the boat at the ramp to the bow roller and up. I come up the ramp and just hit the brake abruptly and hard and the boat slides up a couple inches, I then snug the winch and put on the boat buckle strap and tighten, and my back straps are never loose after trailering. Just because your roller is on your front bow roller doesn't mean it is snugged up against it.
Will try the hard brake at 5mph, thank you!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here’s my tow vehicle. Not towing anything as we are currently boatless and the land toys (and their trailer) are current in storage until our new home is built.

TW.jpg

2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn Quad cab 4X4 with a 5.7 Hemi engine. Some of the tow options include: 8-speed 8HP75 transmission, 3.92 rear axle, trailer brake controller, class IV hitch, and a 33-gallon fuel tank. Only aftermarket items (thus far) are the A.R.E. MX cap with a Bedrug polypropylene bed liner. Max payload for this specific truck is listed at 1593 lbs. with a tow capacity of 11,493 lbs.

Jim

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We don't really tow at all as we're in dry storage, but we took a week vacation to Lake Lanier and so I needed to hook the trailer up to my newest project. I posted about it earlier, but I got a 2003 Toyota 4Runner 4WD V8 for $1500 because it had a transfer case issue. Repaired the t-case, replaced a few parts, did the timing belt, and she did us right. Pulled the boat down and back with a full load of gear with no worries.

When I upgrade the rear shocks I'm going to add air bags as well for leveling, but it wasn't too bad without them. Before the 4Runner I used the wife's Touareg which was more than capable but didn't want the wear and tear on it.

Attachments

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Dropping my May 15th purchase into this thread. Although the Acura MDX was the greatest towing vehicle on the planet, this one does a pretty decent job as well.

Attachments

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing specially modified for us. 2018 F150 XLT, Supercrew, 6.7ft bed, FX4 package. Had to look long and hard for the right one with a bench seat and the longer bed. No major modifications besides all terrain tires and window tint. I sprayed the rear wheel wells black because I can't stand the look of blacked out front wheel wells with body color rear ones. This is also our farm truck so it gets used regularly to move whatever doesn't fit in the old Jeep around there. We have a 2022 AR250 reserved and hopefully coming in soon.

Waiting to see what we think of the new Tundra once we can check one out. Might be the next truck if I can get the right powertrain/cab/bed combo, or we might keep this and move my wife in to a full size SUV when her current lease is up next year so we can fit kids and dogs plus the boat.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing specially modified for us. 2018 F150 XLT, Supercrew, 6.7ft bed, FX4 package. Had to look long and hard for the right one with a bench seat and thr longer bed. No major modifications besides all terrain tires and window tint. I also sprayed the rear wheel wells black because I can't stand the look of blacked out front wheel wells with body color rear ones. This is also our farm truck so it gets used regularly to move whatever doesn't fit in the old Jeep around there. We have a 2022 AR250 reserved and hopefully coming in soon.

Waiting to see what we think of the new Tundra once we can check one out. Might be the next truck if I can get the right powertrain/cab/bed combo, or we might keep this and move my wife in to a full size SUV when her current lease is up next year so we can fit kids and dogs plus the boat.
Great Looking truck. I miss my F150. Same truck as yours but in Black and a few years older.