• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you regret switching from a diesel rig? I love having my Cummins, even if I'm not towing anything. When I am towing I love it even more.
I loved all of my diesels but don't regret going gas. This truck I have now will haul/pull anything that my diesel did and for the $$ it was a LOT cheaper than a diesel rig. Maintenance in all of the miles I've drove with the GMC has been oil changes, grease a few things, tires and one broken exhaust manifold bolt. The diesels were a different story. Tons of front end parts, fuel filter housing rebuilds, injection pump, injectors, turbo, clutch, head replacement, engine replacement and countless other things. I just wanted a truck that I could just drive and not be working on constantly and if I bought a same year diesel as my current truck I would be dealing with DEF, DPF and all of the other emissions stuff that is on the trucks. I deal with the newer diesels at work and see what happens with them and decided that I was didn't want to have my personal truck go down because of what seems like never ending sensor issues and other emissions related problems.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Babin Farms I can definitely understand your point. They are expensive to run and maintain. I had my front end redone in the early spring this year and I got a great deal since my neighbor is a service manager at a Dodge dealer. It was done with all Mopar parts for $900. I had it done 100k miles ago so I think I got my money's worth. Mine is an early 6.7 that was pre Def so it's not near as complicated as the current trucks. Nearly 100k miles ago I hit a Texas sized pothole and a few things quit working that gave it more power and better mileage and it still doesn't smoke. Had that not happened I would have probably gotten rid of it a long time ago. It became a totally different truck after that. Now it's not perfect, it's still a Dodge with a crappy a/c system that can barely keep up with our brutality hot and humid summers.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Babin Farms I can definitely understand your point. They are expensive to run and maintain... Now it's not perfect, it's still a Dodge with a crappy a/c system that can barely keep up with our brutality hot and humid summers.
It sounds like you need to test drive a rig with A/C seats. I didn't even know it was a thing, butt wow!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PEARCE, I did figure out quickly that I have to drive the gas different than the diesel while towing due to having having all HP instead of all torque. 2 trips to FL this year and I now know that I have to keep in wound up when coming up to hills if I want to maintain a reasonable speed while on the interstate and there's going to be a lot more downshifting than before, but overall the GMC handled both tows just fine. 80-85mph and it'll march right up the hills through TN with no problem, just have to keep the rpm's up.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I loved all of my diesels but don't regret going gas. This truck I have now will haul/pull anything that my diesel did and for the $$ it was a LOT cheaper than a diesel rig. Maintenance in all of the miles I've drove with the GMC has been oil changes, grease a few things, tires and one broken exhaust manifold bolt. The diesels were a different story. Tons of front end parts, fuel filter housing rebuilds, injection pump, injectors, turbo, clutch, head replacement, engine replacement and countless other things. I just wanted a truck that I could just drive and not be working on constantly and if I bought a same year diesel as my current truck I would be dealing with DEF, DPF and all of the other emissions stuff that is on the trucks. I deal with the newer diesels at work and see what happens with them and decided that I was didn't want to have my personal truck go down because of what seems like never ending sensor issues and other emissions related problems.
Hopefully and from my experience, the modern diesel trucks are more reliable. My 2018 Duramax has been the most reliable truck I've owned after 3 years of medium duty towing. I couldn't say the same for my 2011 Duramax, it was problematic.
We're talking LML as the 1st generation with all the "clean diesel" equipment vs L5P 7 years later.

In my opinion, every manufacturer has taken their turn building shitty trucks and the opposite. Up until Covid I think you could have taken your pick and been happy with the new generations.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounds like you need to test drive a rig with A/C seats. I didn't even know it was a thing, butt wow!
We have those in my wife's 2019 Expedition. They are a game changer in the cooling department for sure.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@PEARCE, I did figure out quickly that I have to drive the gas different than the diesel while towing due to having having all HP instead of all torque. 2 trips to FL this year and I now know that I have to keep in wound up when coming up to hills if I want to maintain a reasonable speed while on the interstate and there's going to be a lot more downshifting than before, but overall the GMC handled both tows just fine. 80-85mph and it'll march right up the hills through TN with no problem, just have to keep the rpm's up.
I traded away a 3/4 ton dirtymax ltz for a 1500 high country 6.2 and haven’t looked back. Having a wet slip option for 5 years changed the equation for us. When we lose the dock lease, maybe then it will be time to upgrade.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sweet..
lot of shuffling work at the ramp?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got a heated steering wheel in your new rig? If so wait until you use that. It'll change you're outlook on luxury again!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got a heated steering wheel in your new rig? If so wait until you use that. It'll change you're outlook on luxury again!
Yep, hope to not experience that until a few months from now. Still enjoying the cooled seats at the moment.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 with my 1997 Sea Ray 190. Currently in the market for a Yamaha 24' boat so I can update this thread with a better picture :)
View attachment 162891
Sharp setup.

How do you like the AT4? Traded my '15 Sierra SLT for a '17 Q7 this spring and miss my truck. Already thinking of going back. An AT4 with the 6.2L has been ony radar for a few months.

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sharp setup.

How do you like the AT4? Traded my '15 Sierra SLT for a '17 Q7 this spring and miss my truck. Already thinking of going back. An AT4 with the 6.2L has been ony radar for a few months.
I love it. I have the 6.2 in it and paired with the 10 speed transmission it does great. I’m guessing I’ve had close to 8000 lbs behind it and this motor doesn’t care. Just keeps pulling.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Aside from Expedition/yukon and their variants, what other full size SUVs do y'all like? Not much options out there

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aside from Expedition/yukon and their variants, what other full size SUVs do y'all like? Not much options out there
I've heard excellent reviews of the Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80. V8 engine with body on frame construction. Fuel mileage is rough in those, but I hear they pull and ride nicely. Neighbhor has a '21 Titan (same basic chassis and driveline) and loves it. Interior is probably the best Asian based vehicle interior I've seen. The new Frontier is getting great marks as well for the new interior. I would expect the Armada to be close behind in the next year or so to get the redesign. Nissan get's a bad reputation for the CVT's it puts in all it's smaller vehicles, but honestly the engine/transmission/chassis in the larger trucks is fairly stout, has good power, and is as reliable as anything else.

Hear a LOT of good things about the Durango platform. Not really a fullsize (more like a large mid-size), but it's available with a "tow and go" package that offers the V8, trailering equipment like load levelling shocks and additional cooling, as well as a large set of Brembo Brakes. SRT variant gets you into a BIG V8, and the Hellcat gets you into a supercharged BIG V8. I think the regular R/T with the Tow and Go package is a good value overall.

I've got a Q7, as do others here. Tows my 190 without issue. @Julian tows his 242X with the same platform. Definitely on the small side of "mid-size" though. The new SQ7 is rated at 7,700lbs and has a fire breathing 500+hp from a 4.0L TT V8. I'm enjoying the "sporty-ness" of the Q7 in my daily commute, as well as the 4 wheel steering for parking (turning radius is only 20ft) and backing the trailer. Has lots of tech, and is fairly robust in terms of driveline.

You don't hear much talk about the Toyota Sequoia for some reason. Not sure why. It has the ratings, size, and price point to compete. @swatski LOVES his Land Cruiser, and I hear they tow well aside from sucking fuel down and having a small tank. I want to say he's done a cross country trip with his AR240 and the LC with good results.

Also don't hear much from the Land Rover/Range Rover crowd, although they have good capacities into the 7k range. I have zero exposure to them, but know they exist.

If money isn't an issue, I think the new diesel powered Suburbans would make a helluva tow vehicle and general family hauler. They're the size of a small bus though. About my only complaint is the size, and the price. When I was shopping for a 3-row SUV, even the used Tahoe/Yukon family was over $60k with acceptable mileage. They're nice, and arguably worth the money, but damn they're so expensive.