• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've heard excellent reviews of the Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80. V8 engine with body on frame construction. Fuel mileage is rough in those, but I hear they pull and ride nicely. Neighbhor has a '21 Titan (same basic chassis and driveline) and loves it. Interior is probably the best Asian based vehicle interior I've seen. The new Frontier is getting great marks as well for the new interior. I would expect the Armada to be close behind in the next year or so to get the redesign. Nissan get's a bad reputation for the CVT's it puts in all it's smaller vehicles, but honestly the engine/transmission/chassis in the larger trucks is fairly stout, has good power, and is as reliable as anything else.

Hear a LOT of good things about the Durango platform. Not really a fullsize (more like a large mid-size), but it's available with a "tow and go" package that offers the V8, trailering equipment like load levelling shocks and additional cooling, as well as a large set of Brembo Brakes. SRT variant gets you into a BIG V8, and the Hellcat gets you into a supercharged BIG V8. I think the regular R/T with the Tow and Go package is a good value overall.

I've got a Q7, as do others here. Tows my 190 without issue. @Julian tows his 242X with the same platform. Definitely on the small side of "mid-size" though. The new SQ7 is rated at 7,700lbs and has a fire breathing 500+hp from a 4.0L TT V8. I'm enjoying the "sporty-ness" of the Q7 in my daily commute, as well as the 4 wheel steering for parking (turning radius is only 20ft) and backing the trailer. Has lots of tech, and is fairly robust in terms of driveline.

You don't hear much talk about the Toyota Sequoia for some reason. Not sure why. It has the ratings, size, and price point to compete. @swatski LOVES his Land Cruiser, and I hear they tow well aside from sucking fuel down and having a small tank. I want to say he's done a cross country trip with his AR240 and the LC with good results.

Also don't hear much from the Land Rover/Range Rover crowd, although they have good capacities into the 7k range. I have zero exposure to them, but know they exist.

If money isn't an issue, I think the new diesel powered Suburbans would make a helluva tow vehicle and general family hauler. They're the size of a small bus though. About my only complaint is the size, and the price. When I was shopping for a 3-row SUV, even the used Tahoe/Yukon family was over $60k with acceptable mileage. They're nice, and arguably worth the money, but damn they're so expensive.
We are a family of 5 with 3 car seats so I need a good spacious 2nd row and a functional 3d row for grandma/pa. So we've been spoiled with the expedition. Lease is up next year and wondering what else is out there. I'll look into the Nissan/infinity platform. Can you share thoughts on spaciousness for our needs of the Q7. We've always wanted to dip our toes in audi land but the size seems more like explorer territory, who's third row is a joke, and 2nd row would not fit our 3 car seats.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Please assistance needed! FYI - 2015 Navigator Reserve, beast of a truck, especially towing a 2020 SX190!
One problem, and maybe someone can assist....My tow straps always come loose after a 25 min ride back home from the ramp...I tried re-adjusting after the boat is back on the trailer and after travelling 5 mins on the road, and still, when i get home, the rear tow straps are loose... I bought several different ones, and none work... I attached a fixed one to the trailer, i tried using 2 straps, nothing works.... There isnt any gap between the bow and and recovery winch. I don't know.. I tow nice and slow, and never on the highway because of this issue. Unless i can safely arrive either back home or at the marina with the rear straps still safely and secured, im never going on the highway.
The bow stop on your trailer may have some play in it. This was a problem on the first brand of trailers that came with Yamaha boats , MFI “metal fabricators inc.” I believe. The bow stops were only held in place by a single bolt. The fix was to bolt or weld the stop in place. Not sure if this is your issue since I don’t know if you have the same trailer or a newer shorelqnder. I don’t think the shore lander trailers have the same problem.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just got a 2007 Acura MDX to replace the 2006 Ridgeline I had. I’ve been using it to tow Waverunners and as a daily driver. It’s old with a lot of miles but it tows great, no tow mode just use 3rd gear, has a 5k towing capacity and feels/drives like a midsize sedan when I’m not towing with it. The fact that I got it for less than $8k was a big plus as well especially in these Covid times where demand is high, supply is low.
24750913-1064-47D0-951C-B79B61830C8A.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are a family of 5 with 3 car seats so I need a good spacious 2nd row and a functional 3d row for grandma/pa. So we've been spoiled with the expedition. Lease is up next year and wondering what else is out there. I'll look into the Nissan/infinity platform. Can you share thoughts on spaciousness for our needs of the Q7. We've always wanted to dip our toes in audi land but the size seems more like explorer territory, who's third row is a joke, and 2nd row would not fit our 3 car seats.
Pass on the Q7 if you need 3 seats + adults in the rear.

I could see having the two oldest kids in car seats in the 3rd row, then the youngest in the center of the second row, then grandparents on either side of the youngest. I would only day trip that though, wouldn't want to vacation that way, or do it very often. Would work acceptably once the kids are old enough to buckle themselves. Would need to put most of the gear and coolers in the boat for that trip though.

The entry into the rear is by way of Fold/Flip on the second row. A complete non-starter for getting adults into the 3rd row if you have car seats in the second row. Also the Q7 is relatively narrow compared to the expedition. Might not even be enough space to get all 3 seats in there to begin with on the 2nd row.

I'm 6'2" tall and ~225lbs. With the second row slid forward, I can sit in the rear and BARELY not touch my head or knees. It's snug back there for certain.

We have a 10yr old and a 3yr old. The 3yr old is still in full 5-point harness car seat, and he has to sit behind the passenger, in the 2nd row with the 2nd row seat all the way back and the first row slightly forward to keep from pinching his feet too tightly and not being comfy.

We did Navarre FL from Louisville KY this summer with 3 adults, and 2 kids. I drove, wife in front passenger, grandma in 2nd row driver side. Toddler in 2nd row passenger side, and 10yr old in 3rd row driver side. Kept center of 2nd row folded down for 10yr old to put feet through and "lounge". Only had the driver side of the 3rd row "up". and had gear/luggage all around the 10yr old. Wasn't enough space IN the SUV for all of our luggage for a week. Ended up using the boat as a utility trailer because of the lack of room behind the 3rd row. Would have otherwise needed a roof rack or hitch mount storage to make the trip happen.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would give the new VW Atlas a very serious look, top model with the largest engine available, will beat most things out there on tech and cargo room. It is technically 7 passenger not 8 like Sequoia or LC but those Toyota rear bench seats are really for two.

If new Landcruiser becomes available and they offer a hybrid - that would be the world's easiest decision, other than they won;t be available probably until at least 2024 or so in US, and you won't be able to resell it for a while, or at least need to sign something like that.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would give the new VW Atlas a very serious look, top model with the largest engine available, will beat most things out there on tech and cargo room. It is technically 7 passenger not 8 like Sequoia or LC but those Toyota rear bench seats are really for two.
Should've included the Atlas. I was pretty certain they were the same chassis until I read this:
They look fairly different there. Atlas can only get a tow rating into the 5,500lb range though, which is not enough for a 24ft jetboat IMO.

I'd be really surprised if the hybrid LC makes it to the US. Sales weren't great on the last few versions of the LC, so it makes it a tough business decision, even if it is the flagship SUV of the brand.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Should've included the Atlas. I was pretty certain they were the same chassis until I read this:
They look fairly different there. Atlas can only get a tow rating into the 5,500lb range though, which is not enough for a 24ft jetboat IMO.

I'd be really surprised if the hybrid LC makes it to the US. Sales weren't great on the last few versions of the LC, so it makes it a tough business decision, even if it is the flagship SUV of the brand.
darn it. yeah, when I tow, I will be towing the 242 LSE, so I guess there goes the Atlas

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
web built a wagoneer with tow pkg..pricey, but bet it's awesome.
had the same 5.7hemi/8spd/3.92 powertrain in my last truck...was great.

diesel suburban would prob be next best..

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh. the wagoneer. I honestly didn't even know it existed. gonna look into this.

edit: Holy guacamole batman. It can get very pricey! I may have to sell a kidney or two

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welp, bosswoman just informed me that she wants to stay with the Expedition and when our lease is up she wants a higher trim one. One does what Boss wants.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welp, bosswoman just informed me that she wants to stay with the Expedition and when our lease is up she wants a higher trim one. One does what Boss wants.
You won’t be disappointed, other than possibly by the price. The limited is the shit and the only higher trim level is the king ranch I believe. If you go for the max you get additional cargo space behind the third row.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone towing or have towed their 19ft Yamaha with a 4D Jeep Wrangler JK sport? My truck is in the shop and need to use it to tow this weekend - 30miles.. looks like the tow rating is barely in range. thoughts?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You won’t be disappointed, other than possibly by the price. The limited is the shit and the only higher trim level is the king ranch I believe. If you go for the max you get additional cargo space behind the third row.
There's platinum above king ranch. I'll probably me looking at limited! We'll see. Honestly, our current XLT is pretty nice, so it can only get better

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you guys feel about a lease?

I've been on the fence about no longer purchasing vehicles and just leasing them. I get something new every few years anyway, but it's usually a gently used off lease something, not a "new" something. I like the idea of changing often, don't hate a payment, and could really give two craps about if I "own" it or not. Most mods I do are just window tint and minor bolt on accessories I can take off ahead of lease return.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We don't really care about owning. We kinda feel like you, like to change every few years. We do own a minivan which is basically for our nanny to drive the girls around, and plan to run that into the ground, and a Tesla Model S, which we plan to use as well until battery dies. But for our main family mover, we want to change it up so lease makes sense. I'm not a big modder of cars either.

edit: we like the lease model as well because we like the new car thing. Don't have to worry about what vehicle has been through before and tend to have minimal mechanical issues vs a used one

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I left the Jeep out too.......I'm really slipping in my automotive encyclopedia brain
Given that recently Jeep towing numbers have been very low, its an understandable oversight. When I was looking at the Jeep Gladiator last year, the capacity was a paltry 4,500 lbs. Great vehicle for off-roading but not so much for hauling/towing.

Jim