• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

OakleyAK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
In talks with the dealer regarding a 2019 AR195. I will be using my 2017 Colorado Diesel to tow it. Used it to tow my dads Ranger last year and it did fantastic, only upgrade I may do for it would air bags for the rear. The rear suspension is a little soft for my likes.

Last edited:

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't want your boat to overwhelm your rig!64514563_333284750904881_8175497130136305664_n.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 100941
AR240, LC200, Glen Canyon

Any issues with the land cruiser as tow vehicle for that big boat?

I’m pulling my 212 with a v6 4Runner and that’s not working too well on hills so I was thinking the LC or LX 570 would be perfect.

2F8F2A4D-A9EE-411D-8778-E68AA25B9A76.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I’m pulling my 212 with a v6 4Runner and that’s not working too well on hills so I was thinking the LC or LX 570 would be perfect.

View attachment 103506
Funny you would ask, we currently have those two trucks, 2016 4R and 2017 LC. It’s hard to compare the two, neither is built for highway towing.

My wife loves her Runner and she would not change it for anything but we do not tow with it. Could we? Yes. But anything larger than a 190 behind it would not be super comfortable.

Come the LC, difference is night and day as far as power, especially after the engine’s fully broken-in. The low end torque of the 5.7 feels almost diesel-like. Even at high altitude in AZ the LC will fly towing a 240, I don’t thing I have ever actually ran out of power at any speed which is kind of amazing. I do run premium gas only, it makes a noticeable difference on the highway especially at low RPM.

The LC is pretty short and tall for its mass, I found the Air Springs/Coils in the rear helpful to stiffen the ride. Coming from a Q7 TDI I still miss its low chassis on the highway but overall the LC is a beast. I have launched and retrieved my 240 in places where I wouldn’t dream to use almost any other truck, including unpaved river embankments, lol.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 103506
I pull with a 4Runner you have to keep on the gas it is a totally different vehicle if you let it run at low RPM's. It needs the power from 3000 RPM's with a boat behind it if it shifts to overdrive and the RPM's drop it feels a little loose. Same frame as A Tacoma and they are rated to tow 7500lbs.
A lot of people say they are under powered but it is there if you gas it, there is A kit to change the gas pedal imputes to the computer to get it to run a little snappy. But you can't go wrong with a Land Cruiser I think I will go that route next time. There is always the Sequoia in between.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I pull with a 4Runner you have to keep on the gas it is a totally different vehicle if you let it run at low RPM's. It needs the power from 3000 RPM's with a boat behind it if it shifts to overdrive and the RPM's drop it feels a little loose. Same frame as A Tacoma and they are rated to tow 7500lbs.
A lot of people say they are under powered but it is there if you gas it, there is A kit to change the gas pedal imputes to the computer to get it to run a little snappy. But you can't go wrong with a Land Cruiser I think I will go that route next time. There is always the Sequoia in between.
Appreciate the input. I’ve had a couple 4.0l engine 4runners in the past 15 years and they are hands down my favorite vehicle. I’m fine with revving the motor and it actually works fairly well for the local lakes here in the Phoenix valley. Unfortunately to go up to the closest big lake (Roosevelt) or up to Powell you have to drive over very large mountains of 5, 6, and 7000 feet and you end up in 2nd gear going 30 mph, which is bad for both my nerves and the truck.
Sequoias are a lot bigger and less bulletproof than the land cruisers, but I may end up having to go that route based on the limited number of used cruisers out there. If only I had $90k so I could just go pick one up at the dealer!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Appreciate the input. I’ve had a couple 4.0l engine 4runners in the past 15 years and they are hands down my favorite vehicle. I’m fine with revving the motor and it actually works fairly well for the local lakes here in the Phoenix valley. Unfortunately to go up to the closest big lake (Roosevelt) or up to Powell you have to drive over very large mountains of 5, 6, and 7000 feet and you end up in 2nd gear going 30 mph, which is bad for both my nerves and the truck.
Sequoias are a lot bigger and less bulletproof than the land cruisers, but I may end up having to go that route based on the limited number of used cruisers out there. If only I had $90k so I could just go pick one up at the dealer!
Pedal Commander! Great, great gizmo, works best with a very specific engine/transmission arrangements, I was not allowed to test it in our 4R but it is a wonder in my 5.7+8 speed. I would also say, new toyotas ECUs seem to adjust to octane levels and running premium fuel makes a noticeable difference, holding lower gear on an incline or at highway speeds.

The price of LCs is stupid, no doubt, apparently there is a hefty markup on those in the middle east so some are "shunted" over as "used", go figure. I have never towed with a Tundra or Sequoia, can not imagine it would be too too different. The LC revved up to 4,000+ RPM seems to go into a beast mode... When we trailered our AR240 to Powell this year I was in awe, it wouldn't run out of steam, any speed, any incline, 7,000ft... That's something.
Well, if there is a negative it's the range especially when towing, looking for a gas station after every 150 miles.

--

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like seeing the 4runners working! Hard to find much info on how they tow etc so this is good feedback.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Home from the dealer! '07 Grand Cherokee Diesel. 14mpg on the way home @ 65mph (100F w/ wicked high humidity). Have a 6" drop hitch for my small trailer. I made it home but will pick up a 4".

IMG_20190906_1640161.jpg

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with 3.6 Pentastar V6. Using a WDH w/sway control for long distances, regular hitch for local travel. Got 12.1mpg average on 1061 mile trip from Huron, OH to Slidell, LA at 70mph.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@nawlinstornado Glad to see someone using a WDH as appropriate. Nice looking setup there!

How do you like the 3.6 towing something that large? Wife and I have been going round and round on Durango's (same platform as your JGC). We both want an R/T, however think a newer GT might be a better fit for us with the smaller boat (we only have a 190), and longer commutes.

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How do you like the 3.6 towing something that large? Wife and I have been going round and round on Durango's (same platform as your JGC). We both want an R/T, however think a newer GT might be a better fit for us with the smaller boat (we only have a 190), and longer commutes.
Honestly, it was surprisingly easy for the Jeep. I had genuine concerns before I hooked her up but, even when merging onto the interstate, the Jeep pulled up to speed without much hesitation. With the cruise control set to 70, it maintained speed pretty well (+1/-5mph worst observed) as we went through the mountains of Kentucky/Tennessee. The friend with me for the long-haul trip is a heavy equipment operator, tows 100k-ton+ equipment regularly, and was impressed with the V6's power. He's been looking at the new Gladiator and was worried the motor wasn't big/powerful enough - but not anymore!

Also pretty happy with braking performance (had a couple of scares....) and, with the WDH, no real sway. Passed through some pretty decent cross-winds and saw some larger tow vehicles swaying with similar size loads, but the Jeep tracked straight.

FYI, mine has the factory tow package which includes additional cooling (bigger engine radiator, trans cooler, 7-pin plug) and air suspension. I was monitoring trans temp and it only rose about 20-degrees above non-towing. There was a decent amount of shifting, and 8th gear was not seen very often, but it typically stayed in 6th or 7th except on the steepest climbs.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with 3.6 Pentastar V6. Using a WDH w/sway control for long distances, regular hitch for local travel. Got 12.1mpg average on 1061 mile trip from Huron, OH to Slidell, LA at 70mph.

View attachment 104988

View attachment 104989
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, with the WDH are your trailer surge brakes inactivated?
(Looking at the picture, the surge brake would be activated)

Last edited:

SoonerDustin

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@nawlinstornado Glad to see someone using a WDH as appropriate. Nice looking setup there!

I pull ours with a '17 Durango R/T. I'll get anywhere from 12-14 mpg @ 70 MPH. The R/T comes with the heavy duty cooler, suspension and brakes/rotors that you would need for towing without issues. I would double check those things on the GT. I got a class 3 hitch that fits with the factory hitch cover flush.

We also have an '08 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7. Last year they made a 'Real" Hemi with the hemispherical heads. That pulls with no issues. I did add air bags to help beef up the suspension.

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, with the WDH are your trailer surge brakes inactivated?
(Looking at the picture, the surge brake would be activated)
Negative, Ghost Rider. Not this model. A lot of WDH's (particularly those with chains) will restrict longitudinal motion against the hitch ball. If you look closely at the picture of mine, you can see that the spring bars ride on top the L-bracket (the silver L-pin just keeps the spring bar from sliding off the L-bracket) and provide no longitudinal restriction other than friction to control sway. If you go to etrailer, you can see there are several models that are specifically designed to be compatible with surge brakes.

(You are correct, the brake was engaged. I was backed into my driveway, which is an uphill climb, for that pic. PROOF POSITIVE! lol)

amxguy1970

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We also have an '08 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7. Last year they made a 'Real" Hemi with the hemispherical heads. That pulls with no issues.
None of the new gen hemi's are actually hemi's, it is more a pinched or semi hemi and no longer truly hemispherical. All a big marketing ploy for Dodge that panned out well for them and the name recognition.

Tyler