• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Towards the tail end of the summer I upgraded from a 2013 Chevy Tahoe to a 2019 Ford F350 with the 6.7l. It's great to be back in a diesel after a 7 year hiatus. The Tahoe has been a great family rig but the MasterCraft fully loaded w/ trailer weighs in at 7,000 lbs and has started to take it's toll on the Tahoe's transmission.
2019 Ford F350.jpg

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Quick question...how do you have your hitch ball (rise or fall)? Your trailer is far more level than mine. Luckily I got an adjustable and think I just need to convert it into a rise?View attachment 136267
I bought a straight hitch receiver and that worked best for me. No rise or fall. Don't have a good pic of me with my boat as my driveway is slightly angled so it looks off every pic I take. This is a good bit heavier than my boat and it's still perfectly level.
20200926_145323.jpg

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
More money than brains. Jk jk.
Disclosure - we don't go far, play it safe, air suspension keeps her level, I've got huge brakes on the rig, 4 disc brakes on the trailer and take back roads at 50 mph. We keep plenty of distance but the Audi stops better than the 2020 Yukon Denali with tow package

Attachments

n_ikkon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quick question...how do you have your hitch ball (rise or fall)? Your trailer is far more level than mine. Luckily I got an adjustable and think I just need to convert it into a rise?View attachment 136267
Hi... I have mine raised. So I reversed the typical setup so the trailer sat a little higher thus making it level.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In July we moved back to the states from Italy, carless (except for a Kia Sorento being shipped from Italy) I have always wanted a 3/4 ton diesel. The 2 years we were in Italy I occasionally researched and looked at trucks so when it came time to move back I knew exactly what I wanted. My wife fluctuated with what she wanted when we moved back but deep down I knew she would get a new Tahoe.
I found exactly what I wanted fairly quick, 2016 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax. Wife definitely decided on a Tahoe/Yukon but was going back and forth on which one. In July/August there were very few 2021’s that could found with what she wanted (highest trim level, and not white). The local dealer finally found one in Colorado at a dealer so they traded vehicles and got her a ‘21 Tahoe Premier in the color she wanted.
I wound up having an accident 3 weeks ago and totaled my truck🤬 so I was shopping again and finally found exactly what I wanted again, had to drive a few hours to TX to buy it but it just so happen to be at a dealer about 1/2 mile from my brother’s house so it worked out well.
I was amazed at the towing difference when pulling the boat and my camper with the 2500 compared to my 2009 Silverado 1500!

My 2016 and her Tahoe
7D6935BD-C921-4053-BABF-F3DC6A9A8376.jpeg

2416306F-C74F-4074-9626-EB7BA4A38333.jpeg

238B839F-6DD7-4346-B86B-8E3CBF5AF20B.jpeg
My 2017
1C422AFB-FFE6-4313-AF05-76D32ABC1D4D.jpeg

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Why? Have you had problems? We have a '19 Expedition and the only motor available is the 3.5 Eco. We usually keep our vehicles a long time and we intend on keeping this one the same way. I've heard and read that you really need to DRIVE these engines and work them to keep them running good. What I'm saying is don't just putter around town in them. Am I wrong?
The first Generation was not great, however in 2017 they revamped the 3.5 ECOBOOST, the revamped ones have had very few problems even talking to Ford service guys. The 2.7 ECOBOOST got similar upgrades in 2018, so as long as you have a newer one I would have very few reservations of ownership.

Karma_Train

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New '21 Tahoe LT with signature package, upgrading from a '14 Explorer. I had to borrow the brother in law's truck to tow the '20 AR 240 up to the cabin last season so this is a big step in the right direction.

IMG_2321.jpg

Related: Does anyone have a late model Tahoe and know what hitch drop is needed for the 24' series Shorelandr trailers?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New '21 Tahoe LT with signature package, upgrading from a '14 Explorer. I had to borrow the brother in law's truck to tow the '20 AR 240 up to the cabin last season so this is a big step in the right direction.

View attachment 137501

Related: Does anyone have a late model Tahoe and know what hitch drop is needed for the 24' series Shorelandr trailers?
We have a ‘21 Tahoe, I haven’t taken the cover off the hitch or pulled the boat with it. I got a 5” drop/rise B/W hitch to use with my truck and Tahoe it has plenty of adjustability for either one.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
F150 w3.5 ECO boost.jpg

2020 F150 XLT 4X4 w/3.5 V6 Eco Boost. Twin Turbos really put out the horse power. was going to settle on a 5.0 V8 until I test drove a 3.5 V6 Eco, changed my mind.
It has a two inch drop which i think might be to low but it rides level.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We've been a 2 truck family for long while. I have a '18 GMC Denali 3500HD that does most of the hauling and my wife has a '12 Tundra SR5 Crewmax that is her daily driver and fills in when we need it. However, we've recently purchased a 5th wheel RV and on camping trips to the lake her truck will be towing more.

We're planning on upgrading/updating the Tundra to something else. The Tundra is a great truck, but not the best or most economical ½ ton truck for towing our AR240. This is my wife's truck and so she will be making the final decision ultimately. She loves my Denali and at first was thinking ¾ ton diesel. I just didn't quite see the need for 2 HD diesels in the driveway when the boat fails well within a the capabilities of many ½ tons. At this point she's basically narrowed it down to a 2020+ Ram Eco Diesel or a new GMC AT4 with the 3.0L Duramax (my preference). Sorry Ford guys, she's just not that into you. Despite some very capable gas options, I think she's made up her mind it'll be one of these 2 diesels.

Ram seems to dominate with interior luxury and the Eco Diesel is 80% new as of 2019.
View attachment 136246

The AT4 optioned the way she'd like isn't exactly lacking either and is equally matched in capabilities. All except for the 24gal fuel tank vs the Ram's 33gal.
View attachment 136247

She won't hear my opinions anymore... talk us into our out of one or the other please!
I am looking at a new tow rig for my boat and came across your post. Is there any reason I should be worried about driving a diesel for everyday usage? Since you guys seem to have some experience in this arena, I just wanted to ask about the maintenance and upkeep of a diesel compared to a gas engine. Are they really that much more to maintain?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am looking at a new tow rig for my boat and came across your post. Is there any reason I should be worried about driving a diesel for everyday usage? Since you guys seem to have some experience in this arena, I just wanted to ask about the maintenance and upkeep of a diesel compared to a gas engine. Are they really that much more to maintain?
That's a can of worms question... :D

*sits back, breaks out the popcorn...

AEmedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Diesels cost more to maintain and generally cost more to purchase. Diesels also don't work as hard pulling a load and for me, personally, that equates to a less stressful trip. I have driven a diesel dually everyday, for years, and it was no issue, other than getting the duals in tight spots...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can only speak from my experience from the 2 Duramax trucks I've owned ('11 2500HD & '18 3500HD). I think the one major issue I had with my '11, which was the ERG valve sticking, was a symptom of it being of the first generation with the added emissions garbage added. It was a $2k fix out of warranty. I can't say for sure that it had anything to do with the way I was driving it...? I ended up doing a delete and straight pipe of the exhaust and it ran trouble free for 5 more years when I traded it for my current.

I've had my '18 for 1.5 years now and it has been great as my daily. I own a custom cabinet company. Most days it's just a 10 min drive to and from the shop with a few cross town appointments. My truck gets its workout on deliveries and installs hauling a loaded 20' box trailer all over the county and surrounding areas. In all I think it gets a good mix of town, highway, and hauling miles although my average according to the computer is only 27mph. I've only had to fill the DEF fluid 4-5 times in that timeframe. It's never put itself in "limp mode" or had any major issue to this point. It's got 54K miles on it and I'm responsible for 12K of those. The "extra maintenance" is a couple extra quarts of oil each change and fuel filter (1 so far).

I think modern diesels do just fine in most circumstances. My wife put in an order for a 2021 GMC AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax in it. I expect hers will do even better as a daily driver for her. The one we test drove prior had 130 miles on it and was averaging 28mpg! That's over double what her Tundra with the 5.7 gas and my 6.6 average... all with 460lb-ft of torque. It's a awesome little package! I'm excited to see how it pulls.

After owning my diesel trucks, I think I'd have a hard time going back. If you have the means to buy new or newer, I would recommend it. It's always nice to have that factory warranty if anything major does happen. I'll likely trade up again when my powertrain warranty is up in 3 years.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Diesels cost more to maintain and generally cost more to purchase. Diesels also don't work as hard pulling a load and for me, personally, that equates to a less stressful trip. I have driven a diesel dually everyday, for years, and it was no issue, other than getting the duals in tight spots...
The purchase cost is more initially, but they tend to hold their value well. It's the first time diesel purchased that hurts, after that you forget the cost difference so long as you maintain some decent equity to throw at the next one. Truck prices are a little crazy here at the moment. I could sell mine for more than what I bought it for 1.5 years ago. It's as bad as the boat market.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I can only speak from my experience from the 2 Duramax trucks I've owned ('11 2500HD & '18 3500HD). I think the one major issue I had with my '11, which was the ERG valve sticking, was a symptom of it being of the first generation with the added emissions garbage added. It was a $2k fix out of warranty. I can't say for sure that it had anything to do with the way I was driving it...? I ended up doing a delete and straight pipe of the exhaust and it ran trouble free for 5 more years when I traded it for my current.

I've had my '18 for 1.5 years now and it has been great as my daily. I own a custom cabinet company. Most days it's just a 10 min drive to and from the shop with a few cross town appointments. My truck gets its workout on deliveries and installs hauling a loaded 20' box trailer all over the county and surrounding areas. In all I think it gets a good mix of town, highway, and hauling miles although my average according to the computer is only 27mph. I've only had to fill the DEF fluid 4-5 times in that timeframe. It's never put itself in "limp mode" or had any major issue to this point. It's got 54K miles on it and I'm responsible for 12K of those. The "extra maintenance" is a couple extra quarts of oil each change and fuel filter (1 so far).

I think modern diesels do just fine in most circumstances. My wife put in an order for a 2021 GMC AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax in it. I expect hers will do even better as a daily driver for her. The one we test drove prior had 130 miles on it and was averaging 28mpg! That's over double what her Tundra with the 5.7 gas and my 6.6 average... all with 460lb-ft of torque. It's a awesome little package! I'm excited to see how it pulls.

After owning my diesel trucks, I think I'd have a hard time going back. If you have the means to buy new or newer, I would recommend it. It's always nice to have that factory warranty if anything major does happen. I'll likely trade up again when my powertrain warranty is up in 3 years.
Thank you very much for the feedback, and taking the time to share. I am looking at a 2018 F-150 diesel with 22K, so fairly new. I will take your advice on the warrantee concept, knowing now its importance.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide some insights.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Day I towed it home. 2011 MDX did fine, snap cover did not (first lesson). Also learned the importance of the 5th pin backing into my driveway (second lesson). Felt the pressure of everybody else towing with a truck, but if I had to upgrade vehicle, the boat wasn’t going to happen.
View attachment 133262
Upgrade? Upgrade to what? Don't you already have the best tow vehicle available?

Long live the Acura MDX......

boat and acura out front of house.jpg