• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are getting very consistent results, albeit still tweaking the wave when there is only the two of us out.
Transom bag and center locker, WW, under 5 min setup now!
(see my separate write up on new fast-fill plumbing!!!)

Good news is, with most everything dialed in the boat does not even need to labor at all, we basically surf at the same RPM as for light cruise, under 6,000. We surf at 10.7mph.

This is the wave (with only me in the boat):

This is the RPM:

We love the H/L Quad, we can go ropeless as long as we care.
But... I'm still (secretly) looking for the best board for me... I really want that Slingshot Coaster.

--

Last edited:

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is any one else using a 210?
I’m about to hit 2000lbs ballast and my boat struggles at 1500lbs ballast with just two ppl in the boat. It takes so long to get to surf speed- I don’t have gps but I may use my phone next time since my speedo doesn’t start till 10mph I don’t even think I’m hitting 10 actually. The boat struggles so bad we seem to be sitting at 8000-8900 surf side and I saw 9000 on the tach on non surf side.

@swatski wasn’t your old boat a 210? Any input? I see your in a new boat I’m guessing so I’m assuming you have HO motors, or do you think of actually be able to lower my rpms to 6,000 once I hit the 10-11 per gps?

I’m also going to try new bag placement if I get a chance to go out today. Going to put 750 in back center floor and 360 center bow with bow locker full of water- hoping the transom bag still lists the boat hard enough because I’d like to free up my seating to bring atleast two-three ppl on boat plus me while towing a surfer... or is that going to be too unrealistic for my small mr1’s?

Thanks for any input guys.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2015 212x so I have the HO motors in mine, but our set up is 400# under both rear seats and the transom bag all the way to the side of the surfer. I don’t have a wedge or wakebooster and we crest a clean surfable wave without the rope. If we have a light crew I may put a little bit of ballast in my ski locker bag

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Swatski, holy F, that's a nice wave. I suppose you have the luxury of surfing the same side as her? I thought I saw a pic of you surfing goofy foot?

RiverRat, I found out last week that having 400 in the locker and another 300-400 in the bow, the boat didn't work hard to get on plane. Our pocket may have suffered a bit, but the boat didn't work anywhere near as hard. I was totally amazed that I had not burned up more fuel.

Yes, we have 1.8ltr motors as well, but the weight balance was the key. The first time I tested the 850 Transom bag, that's all I had, and the boat could hardly get out of the hole. It hates all that weight back there without balance.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski, holy F, that's a nice wave. I suppose you have the luxury of surfing the same side as her? I thought I saw a pic of you surfing goofy foot?
Yessir, honestly - we gave up on trying to switch the sides...
Bascially - anyone who wants to surf goofy needs to go on the reverse side of the wave, not ideal but I'm done trying to pretend we have a dedicated wake surfing boat! lol

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is any one else using a 210?
I’m about to hit 2000lbs ballast and my boat struggles at 1500lbs ballast with just two ppl in the boat. It takes so long to get to surf speed- I don’t have gps but I may use my phone next time since my speedo doesn’t start till 10mph I don’t even think I’m hitting 10 actually. The boat struggles so bad we seem to be sitting at 8000-8900 surf side and I saw 9000 on the tach on non surf side.

@swatski wasn’t your old boat a 210? Any input? I see your in a new boat I’m guessing so I’m assuming you have HO motors, or do you think of actually be able to lower my rpms to 6,000 once I hit the 10-11 per gps?

I’m also going to try new bag placement if I get a chance to go out today. Going to put 750 in back center floor and 360 center bow with bow locker full of water- hoping the transom bag still lists the boat hard enough because I’d like to free up my seating to bring atleast two-three ppl on boat plus me while towing a surfer... or is that going to be too unrealistic for my small mr1’s?

Thanks for any input guys.
I never had a 210, we switched from a 190. Definitely possible to throw a mean wave behind your boat!
Maybe Mark @ar240owner (he used to surf a AR210) and @jcyamaharider can comment on the RPM in case of the MR-1s? The 210/212 hull is great for surfing, @bobbie still carries the mantle I think for unbelievable looking wake, check her vids somewhere here.
One critical part of the equation is well sealed intakes, significant amount of cavitation ruins surf-ability.

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yessir, honestly - we gave up on trying to switch the sides...
Bascially - anyone who wants to surf goofy needs to go on the reverse side of the wave, not ideal but I'm done trying to pretend we have a dedicated wake surfing boat! lol

--
Dude, the wave was so good on the goofy side, I gave it a shot. I was a total fool, I had no balance at all surfing goofy. I would have been better off just surfing heelside and keeping my natural foot forward. I am going to keep trying that until I get it.

At least now, I have lined up more than just me that are regular foot riders, so that we can get a session. Otherwise, all the girls are goofy and we end up starting and stopping setup goofy. By the time I take the time to move the transom bag over to my side, they all want to head in or go tubing. GRRRR!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude, the wave was so good on the goofy side, I gave it a shot. I was a total fool, I had no balance at all surfing goofy. I would have been better off just surfing heelside and keeping my natural foot forward. I am going to keep trying that until I get it.

At least now, I have lined up more than just me that are regular foot riders, so that we can get a session. Otherwise, all the girls are goofy and we end up starting and stopping setup goofy. By the time I take the time to move the transom bag over to my side, they all want to head in or go tubing. GRRRR!
I guess that's doable, if you have a whole group going one way or the other.
I just don't know if one can get a truly big wave with enough push for an average adult to enjoy - without that huge transom bag! And moving that thing in the middle of a surfing session is just not in the equation for us.
For one, I hate turning the engines off in between sessions and I would need to do that - in order to move and rearrange everything. Also we typically go out after work and I need a quick setup more than anything else. But it does needs to have big push, not just the looks, lol, or what's the point?

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But... I'm still (secretly) looking for the best board for me... I really want that Slingshot Coaster.
--
Shall I tempt you further?

Wake wasn't too impressive... good for skim I guess. We actually overfilled the under seat ballast to 100% and then in alll the chaos my wife let it all drain. We normally like about 1/3 to 1/2 in that bag with no other passengers. Still plenty to ride on.
I had time for a couple short runs Sunday. I wished I'd had time to play more, but the wife's patience wrangling a 2 year old while trying to drive ran out...

Anyway, I finally started messing around with removing fins and tried just a single rear. It definitely more skim like. Clearly my skim skills need some work... lol!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am going to pull my bow 400 and put it under the port seat this weekend to test. I have a coast guard pack of life jackets in there that need to go away. I have 11 jackets hanging in the head, so it's just wasted space that is calling for a nice bag to list the boat.

I may have to relocate my batteries in there further back, but that should actually help.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Just surf that bitch backside. That's what we're doing all next weekend. Everyone had to surf the opposite side of their natural wave backside. Then we will do switch riding week after. These exercises get you very comfortable on your board. Well they do in snowboarding so we hope it translates. Swat I agree it's a bitch moving those bags bro.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are getting very consistent results, albeit still tweaking the wave when there is only the two of us out.
Transom bag and center locker, WW, under 5 min setup now!
(see my separate write up on new fast-fill plumbing!!!)

Good news is, with most everything dialed in the boat does not even need to labor at all, we basically surf at the same RPM as for light cruise, under 6,000. We surf at 10.7mph.

This is the wave (with only me in the boat):
View attachment 102167

This is the RPM:
View attachment 102173

We love the H/L Quad, we can go ropeless as long as we care.

--
I have not ridden the H/L Quad. That said my guess given the shape/size is that it is in-between my neo and coaster. The quad is likely just as advertised being more surf oriented. If you want to relax, stand tall, and use heel/toe pressure to move with the pocket or up and down the wake slowly (collectively skimming) then the coaster is likey the better board for that. If you want to get more aggressive than that you likely have a great board in the Quad (or similar shape from other brands) and I would say that is between a neo and coaster. If you want a real challenge and like to get real aggressive a true surf style is best but pushing the limits of our wakes.

My main motivation in getting the coaster was for my wife, daughter, nephew, and guests was to have something easy to ride. The H/L landlocked was pretty easy except for the fact it pearls too easy on my wake and just fell too large/heavy/long. If you can already ride the quad ropeless as long as you like then not a whole lot of reason to get a coaster unless looking for something more relaxed for yourself or looking to suit others.

The H/L Landlocked also did not ride well in the board rack being so long and having a thin construction. The coaster is very wide in the middle but rode well in the rack with fins up. I opted for the 5’0” coaster xr given my wake has too much push for its length. For wakes with less push, less height, or riders over 220lbs I bet the 5’3” is a better choice.

I have a feeling that the Ronix potbelly, Ronix carbon aircore, Slingshot cobra cat, or H/L quad would all make the best skim/surf hybrids for our type of wakes if looking to carry just one board for surfers and skimmers provided the wake is big enough. I feel like I have the best of both ends of the spectrum but nothing in-between with the neo and coaster. I may add one of the afore mentioned from what I guess is the middle of the spectrum next year.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just surf that bitch backside. That's what we're doing all next weekend. Everyone had to surf the opposite side of their natural wave backside. Then we will do switch riding week after. These exercises get you very comfortable on your board. Well they do in snowboarding so we hope it translates. Swat I agree it's a bitch moving those bags bro.
100 percent agree. Boarding switch in any board sport will make you a much better rider. In particular getting good at a slow surface 180 is the gateway to having the feel for so much more. Heel side surfing is probably its own animal but for those who enjoy a bit of a challenge a good thing to do.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never had a 210, we switched from a 190. Definitely possible to throw a mean wave behind your boat!
Maybe Mark @ar240owner (he used to surf a AR210) and @jcyamaharider can comment on the RPM in case of the MR-1s? The 210/212 hull is great for surfing, @bobbie still carries the mantle I think for unbelievable looking wake, check her vids somewhere here.
One critical part of the equation is well sealed intakes, significant amount of cavitation ruins surf-ability.

--
Interesting.. well I might try taking my 750 out. And run the 500lbs transom bag and the 360 in bow with the bow locker pumped with water then. Because I’m struggling and I’m having major cavitation.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting.. well I might try taking my 750 out. And run the 500lbs transom bag and the 360 in bow with the bow locker pumped with water then. Because I’m struggling and I’m having major cavitation.
With Marks Sx210 he had low end pitch impellers.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not ridden the H/L Quad. That said my guess given the shape/size is that it is in-between my neo and coaster. The quad is likely just as advertised being more surf oriented. If you want to relax, stand tall, and use heel/toe pressure to move with the pocket or up and down the wake slowly (collectively skimming) then the coaster is likey the better board for that. If you want to get more aggressive than that you likely have a great board in the Quad (or similar shape from other brands) and I would say that is between a neo and coaster. If you want a real challenge and like to get real aggressive a true surf style is best but pushing the limits of our wakes.

My main motivation in getting the coaster was for my wife, daughter, nephew, and guests was to have something easy to ride. The H/L landlocked was pretty easy except for the fact it pearls too easy on my wake and just fell too large/heavy/long. If you can already ride the quad ropeless as long as you like then not a whole lot of reason to get a coaster unless looking for something more relaxed for yourself or looking to suit others.

The H/L Landlocked also did not ride well in the board rack being so long and having a thin construction. The coaster is very wide in the middle but rode well in the rack with fins up. I opted for the 5’0” coaster xr given my wake has too much push for its length. For wakes with less push, less height, or riders over 220lbs I bet the 5’3” is a better choice.

I have a feeling that the Ronix potbelly, Ronix carbon aircore, Slingshot cobra cat, or H/L quad would all make the best skim/surf hybrids for our type of wakes if looking to carry just one board for surfers and skimmers provided the wake is big enough. I feel like I have the best of both ends of the spectrum but nothing in-between with the neo and coaster. I may add one of the afore mentioned from what I guess is the middle of the spectrum next year.
Super helpful, thank you!
I think you have the H/L Quad pegged exactly right.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So far so good this week with the setup....best ride yet!!
Fatsac Transom, CL, wake wedge, factory ballast 3/4 full, 2 adults surfside

GH010605_1564956987061_high.jpeg

nclacrosse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Before I buy more ballast ... anyone tried the transom bag centered on the platform? Half my family (and regular crew) surfs goofy, and I don't want to spend all day dealing with the 800lb gorilla. We are getting a *decent* wave with the factory locker bag 50%-75%, surf side rear bag 100%, other side empty, plus wake booster. I'm considering adding 2 of the 155lb cubes to the surf side platform and transom seat. I'm thinking this 300lbs in combination with the factory under the rear seat should be enough weight in the surf corner? At least it gives me some options depending on crew size.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before I buy more ballast ... anyone tried the transom bag centered on the platform? Half my family (and regular crew) surfs goofy, and I don't want to spend all day dealing with the 800lb gorilla. We are getting a *decent* wave with the factory locker bag 50%-75%, surf side rear bag 100%, other side empty, plus wake booster. I'm considering adding 2 of the 155lb cubes to the surf side platform and transom seat. I'm thinking this 300lbs in combination with the factory under the rear seat should be enough weight in the surf corner? At least it gives me some options depending on crew size.
I don't have any experience with the WakeBooster but since no one responded yet, my 0.02 here (with the Wake Wedge). What we find is it really appears important to push the corner of the swim platform at least slightly under water. This is hard to do with internal ballast placement or even transom bags on upper swim deck, or rear seats. The Gatlin bag positioned far back on the lower swim deck's edge - basically sticking out (aft off of the swim platform) seems to be the sweet spot - and gives enough leverage to make magic happen...

I know that is not the only way.

I keep going back to @bobbie surf pics, she runs a 212 with custom internal WM ballast and standard bags piled up on the swim deck and no wedge, and she throws a wake that'd be an envy for most surf boats. So, with enough "human and water" ballast I'm sure you can dial it in. My above comments are just a statement on how we found a "sure thing", lol.

--